1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Question on HP Advancement on Level Up

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Ulfgar Prigor, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Ulfgar Prigor Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I'm playing an Invoker with five NPC's.

My Invoker recently earned enough experience points to advance to 10th level.

A. According to the manual that came with the game, a mage gets his last full hit die at 10th level. If this is correct, he should get 3-6 additional HP (d4 + 2 bonus HP since he has a Constitution score of 17) upon leveling up.

B. According to the manual that comes with the Throne of Bhaal expansion (which I haven't installed), a mage does not get an additional hit die at level 10, but simply goes up 1 HP per level.

When I try to level up, I'm getting weird results that are not consistent with either above the above. I've received anywhere from 1 to 3 additional HP in my various efforts to level up this character.

This is not consistent with A above since the minimum HP advancement would be 3.

It is also not consistent with B above since the HP advancement would be a static 1 or 3, depending on whether or not the CON bonus is applied.

Can anybody explain why I'm getting these results? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2008
  2. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

I can't explain your results. You should be getting a hit die (1d4 + CON) at level 10 as a Wizard.

3. Ulfgar Prigor Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Well, I got tired of screwing around and went into the Game Settings to change the one setting to the place on the slide that provides for maximum hit points upon level up.

Result = 4 hit points. It doesn't make any sense, but it's what I got. Must be a bug.

Leveled up Aerie at the same time. She needs all the help she can get. She only had 30 HP when I picked up her up.

Changed the setting back to the regular setting after the Level ups. Must remember to change it every time I have a character level up.

4. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

You do not need to change the difficulty each time you level up. Ease of Use or G3 Tweak Pack mods have components to give maximum HP at each level up...you can even set maximum HP for all critters in the game, for NPCs, or for monsters only. Those small mods have many other tweaks that make life easier for casual gamers as well. (inventory management and the like.)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.