1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Question on Experience Points

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Lady of the Lake, Oct 7, 2001.

1. Lady of the Lake Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I read in the official F.A.Q. that NWN will allow 20th level characters. Now my questions are:
    1. How much XP is that exactly? Is it the 3E XP or something the programmers will determine?
    2. Will the monsters give you standard XP (like it happened in BG, IWD etc. where an orc always gave you A points) or will the amount be determined by your characters' level and the Challenge Rating of the monster (as it is described in the DMG) ?

2. Silverblade Guest

The game is based on the third edition rules, so I guess it also uses the 3E XP system.

[This message has been edited by Silverblade (edited October 07, 2001).]

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    As for monsters giving XP, I think it'll be by the book, i.e. DMG.

4. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Agreed, though I'm pretty sure I read that you can also get 'quest' experience points for locating an item, rescuing a captive etc plus the DM can award roleplay bonus points if they observe a particularly good bit.

5. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Lady of the Lake, as per the 3E rules XP is by challange rating (CR). So the XP value of creatures is based on the level of those fighting them. So for example a Hell Hound with a CR of 3 is worth 800 XP to a 4th level character but only 750 to a 5th.

I think the interesting question is how will they handle XP division in multi-player mode? Will there by some way of 'marking' PC as in a party? Or will all PCs on the screen get XP for a creatures death? It can't be by those that hit the creature or even worse the PC that kills the creatures, of if so the 'support' PCs (Mages & Clerics) will get hosed on XP.

6. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I'd think it would have to be all PC's that are part of the battle. I don't see how party awarding of exp would be fair if their were several members of differnt parties in a battle and the others weren't there. How bad would that knock down the exp gained;). And it should never go to the people who hit or killed the beast. That's definately not fair either.

But one point for thought. If it goes to the group engaged in battle with the creature, will there be munchking hordes roming the servers like scavangers looking for fights to take a *symbolic* part of just to gain experience points? A sombering thought indeed.

[This message has been edited by Crawl (edited October 09, 2001).]

7. kevlar0101 Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

i really need to buy a 3e d&d rule book...

8. Lady of the Lake Gems: 1/31

Thanks. I suppose we'll have to wait till the game comes out and see. As for 3E books they're not that expensive plus they're actually fun to read. If you want sth to start with Kevlar you should get the Player's Guide and maybe the Monster Manual. Get the Dungeon Master's Guide only if you're sure you want to be one. It reveals some stuff that humble players shouldn't be allowed to know:).

9. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Crawl, I think you hit the issue right between the eyes. On one hand you want in insure everyone who was involved in the battle gets XP credit. This includes Mages, Clerics, Druids, Bards and anyone else who helped out but did not 'hit' the enemy. On the other hand you can't just give XP credit to everyone on the screen for people could stand around in a big battle and profit from other players work. This is not an issue when a DM is watching but the DM will not be running every fight.

What do you think is the answer?

10. Pentathol Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] I would imagine they would probably impliment something that existed on MUDS of old... party banners. If you form a party to go out adventuring, you create a 'banner' and list all those in your party. When you do something XP worthy, all the members listed under that banner are credited. This way, people on the screen who aren't part of your party can't leech XP. Whoever forms the 'party' makes the banner.

11. Crawl Gems: 23/31

The only problem I see with this is the idea of members of different parties fighting a monster. Consider the idea of two members each of three six person parties fighting a monster. Now those six members would get an exp point reward, but it would be greatly diminished because the exp points from the kill would not only be split between those six players that killed the beast, but also between the 12 other members of their parties. Talk about a major exp point hit.

I'd say this is the trickiest question posed yet about this game. D&D due to it's nature seems to be a one party closed game. It really wasn't designed for MMP games like this. I'm interested in how the game designers will handle this one. Perhaps someone here should post this question on their official boards and see what kind of answer they get.

12. Snorri Guest

[​IMG] Dear lady of the lake,
    yes D&D books are fun to read and they open the mind to a wonderfull world, but those hippies at Witches on the Beach (Wizards of the Coast) are raisng the price of their books, so over here in UK we can exspect to pay about £20 for a core rule book.

-Snorri

13. Crawl Gems: 23/31

It's not that bad here in the states, but I still can't fathom why they have their magic of Faerun costs so much. Hell, it's not even hardback, and it still costs IIRC 30 bucks. It may have been less, but still it was far too much for a paperback manual.

14. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] YOu can get the Magic of Faerun book on Amazon for $21. But yes I agree some of their price are to high. When the class books first come out they were $20 for a 96 page softcover book. That's all most 50 cents a page. You can get them for $13 now which is more realistic. I suspect that the other bokks will drop in price as well. Just give it a little while.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.