1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Question on "Avatar" and "Shadow of the Avatar" books *spoilers

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Chotkiy, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Chotkiy Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Hi,
    I just finished reading the "Cloak of Shadows" (i've already read the "Avatar" series and "Shadows of Doom") and I got really confused on the order of events concerning Mystra, The Chosen and Midnight.

1) "Shadows of Doom" begin with something described like the fall of gods - when Mystra speaks to Elminister, he loses his magic to carrying her barden and all contact with Mystra is lost. But in the end he meets with her again and gives her powers back. What did really happen to Mystra in this time span and why did the Chosen have to carry her powers before the fall of gods?
    2) When exacly did Mystra meet with Midnight, before the Fall or during?
    3) In the end of "The Cloak of Shadows" Mystra dies on the 4th day after the Fall. But in "Shadowdale" book Midnight awakens two weeks after the Fall and Mystra is still walking Faerun for quite a time. Maybe i misunderstood the sentence "The sword of Mystra was gone as if it had never been. As Mystra no longer was"?

Could anyone enlighten me in this?

2. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Midnight is hired whit Kelemvor and Cyric by the chosen to rescue the goddess during the time of troubles. She is held by Bane. Mystra escapes takes the chosen as avata, meets Midnight, and tries to pass helm on a celestial stairway. Mystra dies.

The tablets are retrieved, Cyric and Midnight are made gods by lord Ao. Kelemvor becomes a god later.

I think that the problem is that writers write pass each other. They have their own vision and try to bend the facts to it. At least as far as we can speak of facts. Example: During the war of the spider queen different writers wrote the tale. You can see how one character or plotline got more interest from the writer than others. The plotline of halistra Melarn took twice a 180 degree turn.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2008
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.