1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Queen pissed off, politely of course

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Ragusa, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Bush's going to visit the Queen in Buckingham Palace for three days.

To ensure his safety in London Bush's security men are harassing the Queen and her staff with security demands like rebuilding Bush's suite in the palace or to deploy a batallion of US bodyguards in the palace. The Queen now has decided to limit the number of US security personnel involved "Her Majesty's view throughout was that since there are going to be 5000 British police officers involved in the security operation for the President, it's not unreasonable to expect her guests to have some faith in their abilities" ....

The people involved try to bear it with humour. When one American official was asked where the Bush entourage would be landing, it is said he replied: "Heathrow... if it's big enough." A british official, refering to the renewed background checks of palace staff on US demand, said: "The Queen will not have to wear a security badge. I think we know what she looks like, but it is getting to that level. It is quite ridiculous."

More on this amazing sharade, that will sure continue to delight all involved, here and here.

[ November 17, 2003, 12:05: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I'm prone to believe it's more about showing off than real security. You know, maybe they hacked British Empire into pieces, but armed American boys in Buckingham palace? Hmm... that has not been played yet. Good old colonial complex :shake:

3. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

While I agree that what they are up to is excessive, it's a catch 22 -- too much security and nothing bad happens, they're paranoid. Not enough security and something bad happens, lax, lazy, inefficient, fat, arrogant Americans make yet another error in judgement. It's a no win situation.

4. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Sheesh, I dunno why you people are complaining... This is great entertainment! I mean, taking out the whole military aspect of Bush, it's like a reality t.v. show gone haywire! Or a really really bad sitcom.
    *whimpers* someone save me from the crazy man....

5. Ahrontil Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Journalist lies his way onto Royal Staff

Seems as though it was entirely unreasonable for President Bush to have any faith in their abilities. But if Mr President is feeling a tad insecure during his sleepover, I am sure Charles won't mind sharing his King? sized bed to keep him company in that big empty house. He'll be fine. Don't worry.

The English people have a right to Freedom of Speech and are entitled to protest at President Bush's arrival. Due to the possibility that they might run out of things to say, and have a riot instead (if the weather is good) the cost of protecting the English citizens (from themselves)and their right to Free Speech will be 8.5 million dollars.

It is a small price to pay.

Liu Di , a 23 year old Chinese woman who allegedly dared to satirise the ruling Communist Party on the internet, has spent the last year in prison.

There is now talk of her release (due in part to Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao intended visit to the US).

The eagerness with which President Bush clasps Jiabao's hand (in the name of his father's corporate interests not America's interests) may be the the last straw for those who still believe that Mr President's reluctance to relinquish control over Iraq is soley in the interests of democracy and has nothing to do with the multi-million dollar Infostructure Building contracts that are being passed out to his friends and family.

All I'll say is; if you lie down with dogs, you wake up with fleas. Funny, isn't it, how all the nations of the Free World are starting to itch.

[Edit]
    My Internet connection has slowed to a crawl. Very suspicious. If you don't hear from me within the next six months I am either in Bejing or Cuba. Hmm. The Peoples Republic Of America under Emporer Bush II. Stranger things have happened.

[ November 19, 2003, 17:07: Message edited by: Bluin ]

6. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

I don't know why he needs ANY security.

It's not like the Brits are allowed to have guns.

[Edit:] Oh, right. They're just not allowed to use them to defend themselves (Richard Martin). And how easy is it to get a license for a new gun, exactly? :1eye:

[ December 01, 2003, 18:32: Message edited by: Shralp ]

7. Ahrontil Gems: 8/31

@Shralp
    That is a stereotype.
    British citizens are allowed licenced guns.
    British polititians do carry licenced guns.
    British children are killed whilst playing with licenced guns.

8. rastilin Gems: 8/31

I admit I agree with the main points of this. Namely that bush is a strange and paranoid little *^*& (free speech here)who has no comprehension of the world outside America. What is he so afraid of anyway.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.