1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Punk

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Tofa, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Tofa Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Anyone else on the boards like punk rock and ska? I'm listening to five Iron frenzy now.

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I don't even know who ska are. Shouldn't this thread be in the Sensorium? Didn't punk die with Sid Vicious? Bill Idol rules.

3. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Punk is horrible!!

Indy is where it's at our kid.

4. Tofa Gems: 7/31

Ska is a genre of music HB! :D it is fast up strums on the guitar. similar to very fast reggae.

5. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

This board is metal dominated :grin:

6. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

HB, think of the group Madness (Our House). That was ska. Early No Doubt also has a ska influence.

Punk is subjective.

7. Tofa Gems: 7/31

Go to www.soundclick.com. register as a mamber and then go to the ska section. click on a band called Streetlight Manifesto. that is some insane ska.

8. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Most unfortunately. I loathe metal.

9. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Metal is a bit OTT. I have to be really in the mood to be able to listen to that stuff.
    I prefer to listen to music that chills me out.

10. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Madness was ska? Really? I would have classed them as odd-ball pop. They were quite cool though. I wouldn't have placed them anywhere near the punk bucket though.

11. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

This is what the Music Babbling Post is for... to talk about music. The purpose of the thread was to keep tons of threads like this pop up.

12. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Except that RMB is now dominated by those who enjoy a selective few groups of underground 'metal' bands. :rolleyes: I like 'metal', too, but when only 3 people posting know any one of the groups mentioned, it gets to be old hat real quick. Song Quote is getting just as bad. /rant

13. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I used to think I was a metal fan. Then a local radio station started playing all metal for eight hours straight on saturdays and I discovered that I loathe the majority of metal. Too much screeching, too little singing.

For similar reasons, I detest most punk bands. The only one I like is Bad Religion.

14. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Saber - your babbling post is for babbling (i.e. spam), and it has devolved essentially into spam about metal (mostly). This post was set up to specifically talk about something else -- punk and ska.

There is no reason to make a thread to anticipatorily hijack all other threads about specific types of music. We like to have lots of threads as long as they are on separate and distinct topics.

So, let us mods do the modding, you do the spamming, and everyone will be happy ;) . (Except, apparently, Rally and kuemper, who aren't too fond of metal or your particular brand thereof. :p )

15. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

*Shrugs* Alright. Jus' saying that we invite other brands of music... no one has shown a real interest until now, though.

And sorry, I'm not trying to mod.

16. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I like SOME punk and I like some old ska.

I like the old Green Day, and the Offspring, but there are people that argue that neither of those bands are punk.

I love Let's Go Bowling! Reel Big Fish, Hepcat, and the Aquabats are great too! :thumb: :rolling:

17. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I like real punk is 'Discharge', 'The Exploited', 'That Petrol Emotion', and the 'Undertones'.

As for metal, it can be as chilled out or as aggressive as you require. The reason that metal has survived, is that it is always evolving and I am sure that everyone can find at least 1 metal band that they love.

18. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

I certainly hope you don't mean those bands by 'old ska'. They are basically third wave ska, which draws a lot of influence from punk music. Likewise, No Doubt, mentioned earlier in this thread is also third wave ska.

Now, Madness a good example of second wave ska (you could have picked a better song, although as I understand it, Our House is their best known song at your side of The Big Pond).

Original ska comes from the 60's. New Orleans rhythm and blues was declining, so Jamaican artists decided to start recording their own blend of R&B and jazz, mixed with Carribean music. Desmond Dekker's 'Israelites' is probably a good example of old ska, or early Bob Marley & the Wailers stuff. Jamaican immigrants brought ska to England, and influenced bands like Madness, who gained popularity in the 80's, and Second Wave Ska, or Ska Revival was born. They never made it big in the USA, but had an underground following; inspiring bands who merged punk and ska even more, which led to Third Wave Ska.

/end of music history lesson :1eye:

19. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Madness was my first intro to ska music, which I thought of as the white man's reggae. Not far off. ;) Just thought of a Police song with ska influence - Canary in a Coal Mine.

As I said, punk is subjective. What I think is punk will be argued over. Mostly, I like the old punk from the mid to late 1970s, most got their start in CBGB's in New York. Here's my punk list, open to debate whether I like it or not. :lol:

Blondie, The Ramones, Sex Pistols, Generation X (and Billy Idol once solo :love: ), The Go-Gos (yes, they were punk to start), Devo, Adam and the Ants, The Clash, Siousie and the Banshees. These groups evolved to more mainstream, so their punk lineage is shaky for the more popular ones.

Currently, the only punk band I like is Green Day. A boarderline punk band, Sum 41, is tops with me also.

20. Tofa Gems: 7/31

The punk and bands i like are Millincolin, Pennywise, dogwood, O.C Supertones, No Tuck Money, Five Iron Frenzy and steetlight manifesto. these are just a few of my favourites. Greenday is pop punk (dookie is an overboard CD) so call it punk if you wish...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.