1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

PST Blog

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by row, Sep 10, 2009.

1. row Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Okay, here's the deal. I created a blog not too long ago. A blog about Planescape: Torment... let it sink in. It's like a dying god that few seem to care about anymore but you know what, I wanted to start a blog and this is what I wanted to blog about. You see it is an exercise really, an exercise in blogging. I realize that due to the relative obscurity of the subject matter I probably won't get a ton of traffic but if there has ever been something worth blogging about it would have to be, in my opinion, PS:T. Besides traffic only matters when you're in it for the money and I say screw that. (well it would be illegal too so... no ads) I also feel like I am just doing my part in keeping Torment alive because it *can't* die. You know what I mean? So check it out. And if you feel so compelled please leave comments good or bad:

http://primematerial.blogspot.com

-row

2. Platter

Platter Can I buy you a tankard or two, lad? Veteran

What you are experiencing is an intellectual curiosity that is lacking the guidance of a proper education (or possibly intelligence [prove me wrong! don't give up :)]). PST had a cool ass story for a 1999 RPG but if you let yourself believe it is worthy of any real reverence you are a chump.

I still indulge in escapism as much as the next guy but there is a whole real world out there filled with centuries worth of honest, amazing literature and amazing science revealing real things to feel in awe of every day that transcends any fictional magic some game designer thought up for a salary ten years ago.

How about you forget your blog and go read a book (not written by George R.R. Martin)? You'll thank yourself ten years from now.

3. NguyenGiaThai Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Snort!

Nevermind Platter. He's a god in his field but not nearly in other.

PST has a very special place in DnD ignoramus like us, since we dont really care or give a damn about DnD universes. It's magical, always changing, and new. ANd it hints of layers upon layers of existence, with its various levels of philosophy. Mind you, it just hints, not discuss in dreary details. (Mind you, read more DnD or play more DnD games and the magic is broken)

What do you want, any way? If you want more visitor, put your blog link in your sig and haunts the http://rpgcodex.net forums. They are suckers for anything related to RPG. Mind the resident trolls, please. They suck.

4. row Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

"Intellectual curiosity".. what does that mean anyways? I'm not "curious" to see if I can blog about PST. The hardest part was modifying my blogger space's default code so as to make certain blocks of text appear in the Exocet font.

You are right, however, I failed to take "planescape torment blogging 101" at the local university... so no, I'm not an expert.

I worship God, and no one -- or nothng -- else. I do, however, respect PST. I respect it more so than any other video game.

Why is it that just because I blog about a game it is presumed that I don't do anything else? It astounds me that someone would actually think that posting something on my blog, a couple times a month, is all that I do? (BTW, have you seen PUBLIC ENEMIES yet? I recommend it)

"Fiction" can be more than just entertainment. Maybe you are a religious person, maybe not, but if you read the Bible, Jesus often taught in parables... he wasn't trying to entertain, you see, but rather teach. Maybe you disagree that there is anything worth learning from PST, but I would then disagree with you. And no, it's not on the level of learning from Jesus... far far below because it comes from man, not God. However, there are still interesting points made about human nature. It does also happen to be entertaining, in the pure sense of the word, and that counts for something too.

I feel it completely inappropriate to put words into the mouth of Chris Avellone or anyone else who worked on that game. (or any game, really) Such is on the same level as discrediting every single artist out there and branding all of them as "sell outs" who could care less about their work beyond monetary gain. You mean to tell me that every painter, musician, film-maker, author, and yes, even game designer, is just in it for the money... always has been and always will be? Such a statement as calling a game designer who arose to prominence in the 90's a money grubbing sell out never actually entered the "the popular lexicon of 'anti-game designer' rhetoric" (LOL) because IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

I love reading books. Since I can remember I have loved reading books. My first "true love" was Michael Crichton (RIP). Since then I have been entertained, and taught mind you, by many an author. Currenty I'm reading Duma Key, by Stephen King. Very interesting read, I recommend it. ("when it comes to the past, we all stack the deck" I love this line) After Duma Key I will finish up his Dark Tower series. (I'm on book 3, The Wastelands)

Maybe you will see the day when PST matters to you beyond what it did in 1999. (According to you, the only time that it could ever have mattered) But if not, that's okay because I came across it about seven years ago and I have yet to regret it. Ten years from now I'll thank myself, and maybe NguyenGiaThai, for not having listened to you.. maybe you'll even be around to hear that I'm still happily "PSTin'". In the meantime, have fun being intellectually stimulated by the "real" world :-)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.