1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

PS2 or Gamecube?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Xirev, Jun 6, 2002.

1. Xirev Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I'm not really sure which I should choose. The Gamecube looks great, and I am a fan of Nintendo games, who isn't? Everyone remembers the first time they played Super Mario Brothers...

Anyway... I'm caught between which of these console systems to buy. I'm sure I'd be satisfied with either, but I thought I'd get some opinions from others before making up my mind.

So, what do you guys think?

2. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Well they're both good consoles but I personally would go with a PS2. You can play all PS games + PS2 games meaning hundreds and hundreds of games. Gamecube doesn't have many games yet. And you can play DVDs with a PS2 as well.

3. Xirev Gems: 2/31

Yeah, the PS2 is like, four things in one, right? PS, PS2, DVD player, CD player..

And most of the third-party games coming out on Gamecube are also coming out on PS2, namely Soul Calibur 2... unless it's already out.

I feel bad for everyone who bought an Xbox..

4. Turambar Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Nah, you should go for the X-Box. Lots of great titles coming out on that + it's the most powerful system, with the most potential by far. And the DVD player is better than the one on the PS2 machine, which is not very good

5. Xirev Gems: 2/31

I can't find any appealing titles for the X-box. At least not for me. I don't doubt that the DVD player is better, however. My friend has a PS2, and said the DVD player sucked..

But I hear that the X-box is a little buggy.. And plus, this is Microsoft's first shot at console gaming. Not to say they're going to do bad, but they're still 'green' as far as console gaming goes.

6. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I've tested Super Smash Bros. Melee and Monkey Ball Racing for the Cube now. Who cares if the games are childish? They rock! Xbox or PS2 aren't even close when it comes to performance. And the Cube is 1/10 the size of Xbox, and while the Xbox makes a hell of a noise, your TV is louder than the cube.

7. Xirev Gems: 2/31

See, that's one reason I want a Gamecube as well. Everyone knows the games are semi-childish.. but as of now, I don't have any real desire to become a stuffy old bint..

Besides, about the only real reason I wanted a PS2 was for GTA3... but eventually killing, burning, destroying, pilfering, and causing the local law enforcement to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars per day to defend the city from the homicidal maniac standing on the sidewalk with a sniper rifle, gets boring.

I think I'll go with the Gamecube.. and then make my brother buy a PS2. :D

Thanks for the input everyone.

[This message has been edited by Xirev (edited June 06, 2002).]

8. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Buy it on PC :)

9. Turambar Gems: 13/31

Another thing about the X-Box that probably means someting for some people is that you can very soon or already use burned games on it and make it play div-x
    http://www.xboxhacker.com

10. TheBlackRose Gems: 13/31

Get a PS2. With such franchises as Metal Gear, GTA, Tony Hawk and the EA Sports line, it'll be around for a long time. Plus in the future there will be expansions like a hard drive and modem, letting you play online.

11. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Playstation2, no contest. I admit, after looking at the games being made for the Gamecube it's not as bad as i first thought. And the Xbox, bah, i spit on the name. And DvD better than the PS2's.....i think not Turambar my friend. THat great awful lump of rubbish isn't a console, it's a blight and an insult to the world of games consoles. PS2 is the THE console to own.

12. Turambar Gems: 13/31

Hey, before you make a statement be sure about what you are saying, cause every test says the exact thing that I've said. You are more than welcome to check it out for your self....:rolleyes:

And just a guess, you own a PS2???

13. Mollusken Gems: 24/31

Did I hear a "scratch-scracth" from the Xbox DVD rom? :grin:

14. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

If it's any help, I'm about to buy a console and my pick is the PS2. Didn't find any games that really interest me on the other consoles.

15. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31

Ok. I have a friend who own an X-box. WE bought crouching tiger on DvD. I also bought the PS2 DvD remote. I can now zoom in and do extra stuff with the DvD in my PS2. It also runs very fast. Then we watched it on his X-box a few weeks later. SCRATCH!!! It was slow to begin with and it scratched it up. And BOY does it make a noise!!! I HATE HATE HATE that piece of &^&$£*%£$$£*!!!!!!!!
    That's why the Xbox is COMPLETLEY failing. Even the Dreamcast is selling more in Japan, and it failed. Sony and Nintendo must be killing themselves with laughter at how awful the thing is.

16. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] I'm going to buy a gamecube. Going = every shop in my home town and next nearest town have sold out of gamecubes and those that have got any have got lame deals with them.
    So i need some advice which of these two deals do you think i should go for-

£189 (couple of places)
    Gamecube +
    SSBM (super smash brothers melee) - the game i most want to play.
    Memory card
    Extra controller.

£159 (at virgin megastore)
    Gamecube +
    2 games that they have in shop (however they only had world cup 2002, luigis mansion, pikmin. And i want SSBM + THPS 3 or Rogue Leader)
    £50 voucher for use on gamecube software/hardware in any virgin store.

While the second deal seems better unless they are going to get the games i want in i don't see the point of getting it.
    :help: So any advice? :help:

Gamecubes current price everywhere i've looked between £128-130.
    Games between £35-40.
    So on both the deals i'm saving money.

17. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31

I have no idea how it could've sold out, i havn't been to a games store where they've sold out yet. Anyway i'd go for the second one because of the £50 voucher. Even if it does come with sh** games, though Pikmin's not THAT bad.

18. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31

Z-Layrex -
    You misunderstood the deal. It is any 2 games they have in stock at the time. Meaning that the games i listed are only the ones they had in at the time. If they get in (or i ask them to order in) the games i want then i will go for that deal certainly, as the £50 will allow me to buy a second controller and a memory card, and also about half of another game. So yes i will go for that deal if i can get SSBM with it.

19. Findol The Swift Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I can't believe i didn't post here before! I haven't played the PS2 but I would go for the Gamecube only because I have always liked nintendo's games. And where else can you find Mario???:) Yes I have to admit, it's not DVD playable, and there aren't a lot of games out, but thats a yet! If you go to www.gamespot.com You can see that a lot of good games are coming out soon.

20. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31

I may as well throw in my two cents and favor the PS2.

PS2 actually has games meant for an audience older than 13; as someone who ended up choosing wrong and buying an N64 last time around, I've wised up and gone with Sony over Nintendo. After the amazing success of the first PlayStation, I feel more secure with Sony than Nintendo or Microsoft. Plus the controller for PS2 is great...the XBox especially has an awful, awful controller.

It can play CDs and DVDs. So can the Xbox, but this is not true with the Gamecube. Sure, the Gamecube is cheaper at $149, but that's only $50 less than the PS2. A $50 DVD/CD player is a pretty good deal.

Online gaming. Madden 2003 and Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 and 4 are examples of free online gaming. As for premium online games, the PS2 will have Final Fantasy XI, Resident Evil Online, and a completely new version of Everquest.

All in all, I would definitely recommend the PS2.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.