1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

PS:T and Windows 7

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Deglorath, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Deglorath Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Hey folks,

I'm having a lot of trouble running PS:T on Windows 7, which I know is probably my fault for going with Windows 7, heh.

I'm running the game with several mods, I should probably try to run it clean first, but I'm such a mod-mad gamer. :)

I installed it in compatibility mode for windows 98, then ran it in compatibility mode for win 98, but no luck with that at the moment.

I'm using G3's widescreen mod(set to 1920x1080, my native res), Qwinn's fixpack and G3's tweaks. I'm really not sure what is causing it to bug out.

Any clues or advice? Even just "Stop it with the mods!" Is ok, heh, though any further insights would be nice. :)

Edit: Oh and hey, anyone know if they've ever put out a digital version of the game? My discs are getting kindof worn out.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] There has been a re-release of the 4-disk version on one DVD recently.

Information can be found here

3. Deglorath Gems: 1/31

Thank you for the link there. :)

Ok, found where I could get the item in the states, amazon.co.uk wasn't able to send it, but the Go-Gamer site had shipping in the states. - link

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  5. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] As for a little further insight (I was typing up before heading out for the evening, eep!)

Try running it in XP or more recent compatability mode instead. The greater disparity between Windows versions the less accurate they are emulating it I've found.

I run PS:T fine on Vista currently, with minor graphical flickering here and there which doesn't bother me, if I bought it for the graphics I would have looked somewhere else ;) aside from that I can't really think of anything to say.

Could you elaborate on your difficulties with the game? Sound? Graphics? Inexplicable bugs? Combinations thereof?

6. Deglorath Gems: 1/31

When I try to start the game, it won't even begin to work, ala I click on the exe and I just get a notice that the game has stopped working, not even a flicker of the screen showing it trying to run.

I've ordered a copy of the DVD version, hopefully that will be of some help as well.

Any insights into what I'm doing wrong here would be great as well.

And yeah I don't care if it's flickering or what not so long as it works, I've got Dragon Age for the pretties, but I've got BG1/2 and PS:T for the story. :)

Note: I haven't tried installing my DVD copy of BG1/2 yet on this system, I'll try doing that tomorrow after work to see if it works, if I'm not coughing up a lung at that point, heh.

Edit: Thank you for the link to those amazon listings Tal.

7. 8people

Media:
    [​IMG] Have you made sure the exe is on the 'allowed programs' list?

I know someone at uni had a hell of a time getting old games to run because Windows 7 was just going "No." and blacklisting the program. I don't know how or if he got around it, I'll look around and see if I can find anyone with a similar issue with the game, I don't have a lot of spare time so apologies if I'm a little tardy getting back to you :aaa:

8. Deglorath Gems: 1/31

Not a problem 8, thank you very much for your time. :) I'll be a bit slow myself anyways now that I'm back in my work week.

For the allowed programs, do you mean the programs allowed through the firewall? Or is there some other listing that I should find? I'm not the world's most superbly computer literate. x.x

Edit: Ok, I tried adding it to the 'Allowed Programs' on Windows Firewall, didn't change anything from there, I'm going to go ahead and uninstall the program again, and try a fresh install with this.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  9. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Deglorath, have you tried the XP virtual mode? It's much more solid than compability mode. If you have 7 you can download the virtual machine and VirtualPC from Microsoft's website. I don't have a direct link but it should be easy to find.

10. gorgon82 Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Try giving the program Admin rights. Right click the file, and click Properties. The option is under the Compatability tab.

11. Deglorath Gems: 1/31

@Ziad - Thank you for that suggestion, I didn't even realize such a thing was available, I'm downloading it now, I'm very curious to try this.

@gorgon82 - Thanks, I have tried that, unfortunately it didn't seem to work on my previous install, I'm going to try installing again after work tomorrow.

Edit: Ok, I've tried installing the game on Virtual PC, but it doesn't seem to have any video drivers... I'm not sure what to look for in this, downloading a second set of video drivers to my computer sounds a bit dubious to me, but then I'm wary of anything breaking my computer, heh.. Any tips on this one?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  12. Deglorath Gems: 1/31

Ok, so apparently I can run the base game and the game with the official patch... but -any- mods, unofficial patches, tweaks, etc, cause it to fail completely, I really don't get it..

13. Sheytan Gems: 1/31

I'm running the game under win 7 32 bit version (Asus EEE PC 1000h) without any problems

I use these mods The Bigg's widescreen mod , Ghostdog's UI, All Inclusive Fixpack by Qwinn, Unfinished Business by Qwinn and Tweaks by Qwinn

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.