1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Proud to be white

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Shoshino, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    someone posted this on another forum, and it pretty much summed up my current feelings about how race is seen in the world today:

2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    There's a lot of validity in what the text you quoted says and I believe that's something minority activists, liberals and pro-minority whites need to be confronted with and need to deal with.

However, I would like to make the reservation that, while in some situations police officers have the right to shoot people, or beat people with rubber staves, they in no instance have the right to beat people up. Beating people up is outside of the competence of the police.

I'm white. I do have slightly diagonal eyes and slightly specific (among whites) cheekbones from an Asian ancestor some 400 years ago, but you wouldn't know if I didn't tell you. Do I feel any better for being white? No. Do I have to convince myself to anything in order not to feel better? No, not at all. I just don't feel the race thing. Do I feel worse for my Asian ancestor? He was a prince. Should I feel worse for an Asian prince or for a white commoner or serf as an ancestor? Who's "better", a coloured nobleman or a white commoner? Who cares?

I just don't care. People are people. They look different. They have different physical abilities and circumstances. They also have different talents. They have different patterns of thinking. But does it mean any of them can't be singers, army generals, politicians, doctors, priests, whatever? Err... life proves otherwise. Did you know that the doctor who invented blood transfusion was black and he died because they wouldn't take him to an all-white hospital? Did you know that after WW2 a black commissioned officer in the US Army would be court-martialled for not obeying the order of a bus driver (come on, if they are NCOs that's already high, but in all likelihood the driver was more of a private or maybe corporal - the lowest NCO - you just don't have lieutenants driving busses) to take a back seat on an internally segregated bus?

The last two examples perhaps prove that blacks have had some very bad treatment and suffered a lot of injustice, but the very basic thing they prove is that the whole race thing is utter nonsense. Don't get me wrong. "Race" in application forms where you have to describe your appearance is perfectly all right and the lack of it is stupid (unless you just need to give eye and hair colour and supply a photo) and banning the word or the category from official usage is similarly stupid and solves no problems but instead amplifies already existent tension. But it's just that so many people make such a big deal of such a relatively minor thing. Who cares?

In short, I don't like racists. White racists, black racists, Asian racists. They can all kindly kiss my ass (figuratively).

3. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

the main problem is all does races can point to a time in the near past where we have subduede them, ruled over them and passed unfair laws against them. and that apperently gives them a longer leash before they are called racists.
    the same goes for the jews (which is contrary to popular believe, not a race).

its saddening and hardly fair, its hardly a problem here in Denmark, since we hardly have any blacks, the only people who could do such thing are the muslim minority, mainly turks, and they wouldn't get away with it in most cases.

4. chevalier

Media:
    Hispanics aren't a race, either. If you're from Spain, you're white. You can have some Celtic roots, some Germanic roots (Goths, Swebs), some Romance roots (post-Roman populace), perhaps Moorish roots (Semite Arabs, Berberic peoples from Africa...), but it's not a race in any sense close to white or black.

5. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    i think the new problem is steming from the dangerous use of the term "racist" its a simple known fact that if a black person accuses someone of a violent crime, then he will clam that its because he's black and it was a racially motivated crime, ive seen this first hand,

several years ago when i was working in a local pub, i was standing outside the local kebab house after a long nights work when a black man was being quite forceful with a young girl who was standing outside, she told him where to go a few times and then he tried to kiss her, her boyfriend came out of the kebab house and belted the guy in the face, when the police turned up he told the police that he hadnt done anything and that the guy hit him because he was black, to which he replied "i didnt hit him because he's black, i hit him because he's a twat". despite the witness statements he was charged with a racially motivated attack and got 18 months.

6. chevalier

Media:
    That only proves that the prosecutor and the judge either:

1) Had no idea what law is about,

or:

2) Put their own crappy political agenda and pitiable complexes above the law (which generally suggests the validity of #1 as well)

Or both. Likely both. At any rate, they suck and shouldn't have made it out of a law school.

A good judge should take a bullet to the head rather than decree something a racial crime which was not it. A good prosecutor should have enough integrity not to bring such a charge.

And a good law teacher should have enough brains to prevent such idiots from ever finishing law school.

Who admits such imbeciles into law schools, bars and whatnots, anyway?

I'm also guessing that no one did anything to investigate the attempted rape or sexual coercion crime on the part of the black guy? Because whenever a white girl claims coercion on the part of a black guy, that's because she's elitist and phobic towards black guys?

7. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    This is particularly timely given that a verdict was just rendered in Long Beach, California where ten black teens were on trial for a particulary violent assault crime against three whites last Halloween. Nine of the ten were convicted and six of the nine were convicted of hate crimes (racist based). So it does work both ways.

8. chevalier

Media:
    Yep, it probably does. But if blacks beat whites, they are only sentenced for hate crimes if they really do it out of racial hate, whereas if whites beat blacks, it's a racial crime by default. Not exactly the same.

9. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The system is created by white males for white males. White males hold basically all the power. Every day that isnt black day or woman day or minority X day is white male day.

When the people with little to no power discriminate it is wrong but not very dangerous when the people in power discriminate we get holocausts, apartheid and all that jazz. That is why we need to watch the majority with the power so much more closely than we need to watch hte minority with no power(I am aware that South African apartheid was created by a minority but it was one of the times when the minority was in power).

Power racist = extremely bad and dangerous. Non-power racist = unpleasant and unsavory but not really dangerous.

10. chevalier

Media:
    It's not dangerous when you can go to prison for 18 months for defending your girlfriend from molestation?

11. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I could write a long post on this subject simply because I've lived through the prejudice of the '40s and '50s the Equal Rights movements of the '60s & '70s. The indeciveness and reaction of the '80s & '90s. I can truthfully say "I was there."

However I do find scary that someone can be accused and convicted of a hate crime when they are defending themselves or a loved one.

12. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

You're right, there is a problem. To draw attention to this, someone ought to found the National Assiciation for the Advancement of White People, or the United Caucasion College Fund, or any other thing like that. Maybe we should have Straight Pride Parades. Maybe we should have the Anti Caucasion Defamation League. We should do all those things to show the minorities how ridiculous/racist such notions are. I heard a speaker when I was in College state that the colour of racism is white. :bs: , it comes in all colours. Until people realize this, the gulf between the races will only widen...

13. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

This exists. It was founded by a former leader of the KKK... the same man was just at the holocaust Deniers Conference in Iran. Makes you think, doesn't it?

One must keep in mind that the reason such institutions as the NAACP exist is because of years of repression and discrimination under a white majority (think of such events towards minorities such as Holocaust, apartheid, ethnic cleansing (Rwanda, and other areas). Its hard for a white individual to understand such conditions (ie: blatant and not -so-blatant racism) because we aren't really subjected too it. True, things have begun the swing towards general equality but things are far from being a nice bed of roses - Though its been argued that these groups are in fact making things even worse (NAACP in particular has been accused of this).

As to that article, I agree that such a conviction should never have happened. It makes you wonder who the lawyers were (argument matters more than evidence in a courtroom after all ), and all sorts of other variables - like what the judge was smoking or how much pressure was put on the verdict.

14. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Something that I found out over the summer is that you can say 'black power' on Runescape, but if you try to say 'white power' it comes out as... ***** *****

15. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Affirmitive action is just another form of racisim. I admit that certain races are better suited to certain tasks (on the average) and there's no way to deny it. Black people are stronger/faster than white people. White people are intellectually more adaptive than black people. Niether are superior overall yet on the average they are superior in different fields.

Indeed, white people have done some nasty things to other races, compensation is due but there is nobody who should be forced to pay it. Those who comitted the crimes are long dead and there is no justice in forcing their ancestors to pay for their forefathers' crimes.

Rather than having NAACP they should have NAART: The National Association for the Advancement of Racial Tolerance. The irony is that most of these racial fronts try to fight racisim by using a racist weapon: segregation.

16. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

There's so much wrong about the quoted post in the original post of this topic that it isn't funny, but let me just say this:

:rolleyes:

Really, that stuff doesn't deserve more. It's apogaleptic crap and you know it.

17. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Yep, that original quoted bit is pure crap from start to finish.

18. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Everybody should just stop focussing on race and just get on with life.

19. Phone_Tools Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

ah... the reverse racism effect. it's kind of interesting, but also really stupid

I find it ironic that peope can have "black pride" or whatever, when really all they're doing is contributing further to racism by having it. By very definition, racial pride is implying that one race is better than others. Don't people realize that having racial pride is only reaffirming that one race is unequal?

The issue isn't that black people can have black pride but white people can't have white pride. The issue is that racial pride of any kind even exists. I think if we ever are going to move on with this whole racism thing we are going to have to forget the concept of racial pride completely.

um..... what?? what are you talking about, seriously? there is only a single gene that controls skin color. Out of thousands and thousands of genes!
    while it's true that black people are on average stronger than white people, please don't go around saying that white people are more "intellectually adaptive." what BS. All cultural differences aside, the only thing really seperating the different races is their physical make up and appearance. When are more people going to realize that?

[ January 28, 2007, 12:13: Message edited by: Phone_Tools ]

20. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

It's of course wrong but I doubt it actually happens a lot. These cases are quite interesting and often get twisted to the user's purpose. Beating someone while you're girlfriend stands there watching suddenly becomes "defending the girldfriend from molestation" atleast in the media. I'm sorry but I don't buy these cases, too often there is a hidden agenda when presenting them.

Also the point of black pride parades is also to show the continuous unequality between races. In most countries black still have a lot poorer chances of succeeding than white, and while things have gotten better and technically all races are equal, that won't remove the legacy of centuries without education and with poverty. I don't think it's really a thing done out of racial supremacy but a thing done to reach equality between races.

I also would like to see of a non extreme-right white pride parade. If you can show me one then I can stop labeling the people partaking in them racists. The white have really no reason to organize such parades since we are not oppressed by anyone, the only cause for such an parade would to promote racial supremacy.

However I'll have to agree that there is plenty of non white racism around. As joacqin pointed out this is not nice but it's not all that dangerous either. Unless you live in Zimbabwe. Also the easiest way to fight this kind of racism is to fix our own superiority complex and truly treat all races as equal. It may be so in law but it sure as hell ain't so in practise.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.