1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

PROPOSAL! Yeah, right...

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Felinoid, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

[​IMG] I recently got this e-mail in my mother's account from jfisher2@johnfisher.id.au.
    Now, ignoring for the moment that the e-mail address this was sent from doesn't match the one above, even on the suffix (".au" means Australia, while ".uk" means the UK), this man is proposing fraud to a dead woman. :rolleyes: And as if that isn't bad enough, he also mentions "Family or Relatives", which (again ignoring that they're the same damn thing) are the ones who really ought to have the money in this situation. Not just by the law, but to help with their grief (even as little as money can do that). Who he thinks he would take in with such an obvious scam, and even one that would hurt others...this guy must be a total idiot.

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

What a crock. One of the most baffling things in the world to me is why people ever reply to these ridiculously and obviously scam emails. There are people who actually respond to this rubbish. Insanity! These sorts of emails are a menace.

3. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    :rolleyes:

What an idiot. The worrying thing is that since these types of email keep coming, some people must actually be replying to them.

4. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    There are definitely people who fall for these scams, or they wouldn't have been around for decades. Check out this link.

5. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I'd report him. If it's not a spambot, I'd submit both his email addresses to the local authorities and hope they have have an internet crime unit that can take care of it for you. :thumb:

If I were you, I wouldn't stand for that s***. :rolling:

6. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Isn't that some idiotic scam to get your credit card details, anyway? Doesn't even look like anyone's seriously trying to trick you. Or maybe it doesn't even want your credit card stuff but simply a reply to make sure the e-mail address where they send spam is one that you use and check regularly?

7. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Y'know, this reminds me of another scam I came across the web some time ago... I wanted to sell my BlackBerrys (I DID sold one... but to someone I trust), and the guy wanted to pay via MoneyGram... so okay, no problems. A few days later, I get an email that the "order has been approved, and that the money will be sent to the seller's account after the shipment tracking number is sent for verification". I then became suspicious and called the real MoneyGram, and guess what? This has never been part of the policy.

Worst ever, there are many *typos* in the email... and the bottom of the email reads as follow:

--
    -
    Play online games for FREE!

Mail.com

Following the confirmation of my suspicion, I then sent a "ghost" package as decoy, basically a box with a note into it, and the dumbass fell for the subterfuge... after I sent in the tracking number for "shipment verification", he shown his true colors and was like "Hahaha, gotcha ****er, thanks for the *FREE* BlackBerries". I stayed silent... only to receive an email a few days later which was majorely composed of insults - he had received my decoy package and was TOTALLY pissed. I had the last laugh... and it was freaking sweet. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

The moral of this story...? Always beware of the web.

8. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I'm curious as to why my accounts won't catch them in the spam filter?

9. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I really really hate scammers. Report the jerk Fel.
    @DoTW - Good for you! I'd have loved to see that @$$holes face when he opened his almost empty box.

10. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

How would a spam filter pick something like this up?

11. Disciple of The Watch

I think the note I wrote would have been a more interesting sight - I use the word F*** in this short note more often than in an Al Pacino movie... which is not a small thing.

Anyway, back on topic, that mail you got looks like the Nigerian equivalent... some have got caught into this, and lost more than 10,000$. Report the bitch to the Internet crimes.

12. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Wagh, he's trying to rip off people using Fidelity's good name, damnit! I do heaps of business with Fidelity :(

Fact of the matter is if it sounds too good to be true - it is. The question I would ask is why doesn't the person of the letter pay the money themselves to get his hands on the inheritance?

13. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    I got one of those E mails once Fel, and smelt a rat so the first thing I did was do a basic web search for the phone number in the mail. Which came up straightaway with a warning site about the e mails.
    There are some horrible people about on the Internet :(

14. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

@DoTW.

You should have sent him a punnet of blackberries!

15. Disciple of The Watch

HAHA! Indeed, that would have been a good ideal

16. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

What are "BlackBerries" I thought for a moment you were selling fruit but obviously you weren't...

17. Disciple of The Watch

This is what I was selling.

18. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Hopefully the decoy was a box full of horse-sheit. :xx:

The scammers do not play with quality, but quantity. With a reader-base of millions, there is always someone gullible enough to fall for it. One is money-back, two is earnings, three is sweet, and ten makes you a millionare. Of course, scamming is a full-time job, so it's not easy-money even if you know how to spam...

But think of the positive side: when you have been cheated once, you won't make the same mistake again. Teaches common-sense. ;)

19. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    You can have some fun by Scambaiting these people. Just be careful (check out the Baiting tips) not to give out any personal information.

[ October 12, 2006, 23:49: Message edited by: Montresor ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.