1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Pronunciation of your nickname

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Ofelix, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    [​IMG] I recall in the days a similar topic but since many new faces came up I think it's high time to set the phonotical right for nickname!

Why do you ask? Many people came from non english countries and thus may have a foreing pronouciation to their nicks, so many Sp-er says it uncorrectly!

And call me strange but I just *love* linguistic and writing system, if I could I'd might my job.

I'll start with mine in IPA

Ofelix,[ ɔfeliks ]

I am not so sure about the IPA though I'm still pretty green to it... Let's just say the only letter that might cause problème is ''e'' as it is an french ''é'' not a english ''e''. ''é'' in English would be more or less a high pitch ''ay''.

[ October 10, 2005, 12:24: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Felinoid has a long e (like "feel") and a short i (like "in").

EDIT: And if you're in just the right mood, you can pronounce it Feel Annoyed; it's close enough, and it accurately depicts my effect on people. :shake:

[ October 10, 2005, 06:39: Message edited by: Felinoid ]

3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    As stated in this thread:

Old thread

Errrrr..... Dee-Em-See

4. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Cel-eS-tri-al Raven :) . Wait a minute... holy crap! I spelt it wrong on my login! My nick here is Celesialraven :( . Alright, well, the abomination that is my nickname is pronounced:
    Celestrial raven...
    Thats right, even though its spelt wrong, everyone is to imagine that there somehow exists a 'T' in there.

5. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Rotku... pronouced Rot as in rot, then ku as in... something.

6. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well, my nick is pronounced sortof like this

Olimikrig
    [ooo-lí-mick-rric]

okay, the reason for so many o's is because you need to get a deep rolling sound on it.
    The lí is sorta "cut off", and you need to lay preasure on the 'i' (one of the reason why I hate people refering to me as "olim", which sounds wrong compared to the way it's supposed to be pronounced).
    Mick is straight forward, but the last "rig" you need to pronounce the 'g' as a 'c', but you need a special 'c', more like the 'c' in Mc-something.
    This is why Kitrax calls me McRib (as the 'g' really is a typo, and was supposed to be a 'b' when I first created this account) I guess :p

7. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

Alavin
    [A-la-vin]

Stress the initial A, and the rest is soft.

8. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Most people here would have great trouble with 'Anglacized' Irish names, so I won't even bother trying to explain the correct pronounciation for my traditional nickname.

9. Drugar

Drugar And now... we wait! Veteran

Media:
    [Dru-ger]

Simple, isn't it :D

10. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    @ Cuchulainn
    isn't it Cul - hul - lin?

11. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Death. Mage. :p

Also dee-emm, which is my current name in many places, including MSN.

12. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

Much as I like the idea of people scratching their heads, might as well try to explain it: Sooh-see-pice-tee, except all the vowels are supposed to be short and snappy.

Gladly this thread isn't about what the nicks actually mean...

13. Arifirh Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[ærifiR], or Arriffeer.

And kudos to Ofelix for using the IPA :thumb:

Yours would be [ofeIliks] I think, from what you wrote in the last thread.

14. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

:o /me apologizes and offers very shiny gems

I'll use your full nick from now on!

kuemper - kem(as in chemicals)-purr, though I will answer to: hey you; demon lady; eek!; and bugger, she found us again! :p

15. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    /me accepts Kuempers shinny gems.

You may refer to me as "oli" :p . The way I put up the lot, wasn't really that good either. but the "i" sounds special, so when pronouncing "olim" it sounds like I say "o-lime" :shake:

actualy I've been wondering. Does Kuemper mean anything (sorta sound like it does).

16. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

heh on a similar note it looks kinda weird when people shorten mine to enag, doesn't quite have a ring to it :p

Eh-nah-gohn-yos

if you can't be bothered to type the whole word a simple capital "E" will be sufficient ;) :D actually been thinking of changing it since there seems to be a trend..

17. olimikrig

Media:
    the 'y' is it a [jos] or [y-os] :hmm:

I can see your point here. when speaking it out without the 'h' it could go with that shortening, however when first the 'h' has been applied, then it would sound rather odd :p

18. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

@olimikrig:
    :doh: Sorry. Your nick sounds better with the correct pronunciation, though.

On the same note, Fel sounds like "fell" instead of "feel", but I don't mind it at all, so y'all can keep using it. :)

19. olimikrig

Media:
    yeah :heh: but my nick is a combination of the names of my two cousins combined with their surname.

Oliver + Mikkel + Riber

They were born a couple days before I first used this nick in Diablo2 (twins). And the pronunciation comes from how their names are ponounced in Danish ;)

20. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Isn't the french ''é'' Spelled 'e'' in IPA? No the first one is defenitively an open-mid ''o''. If not it'll be the french ''ô'' or close to the greek omega.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.