1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Progression for a Rogue

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Colthrun, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

[​IMG] A little help here!

I want to go through Darkness over Daggerford with a rogue character, and I'd like to know what people think is the best multiclassing route available for them.

One note, I don't really want to multiclass with any spellcasting type, because with a medium-high UMD I'll have access to any scroll and wand I'll ever need.

I did SoU and nearly half of HotU with an amazingly effective Rogue/Monk/Assassin, until my game crashed and both savegames were corrupted. This character was unstoppable with items confering Haste and Protection vs Mind Spells. He was too depending on backstabbing, though, so one-to-one fights were a pain.

I have recently tried a Rogue/Ranger/Shadowdancer, and the Hide in Plain Sight must be the cheesiest skill ever... quite useful, though. :evil:
    I don't know, however, how good is progressing beyond level 1 in Shadowdancer. I've seen that it gets some of the special high-end rogue abilites, but Shadowdancers are not good with traps IIRC, and neither get extra backstabbing modifiers.

What do you normally do?

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I've tried both the ranger/rogue and fighter/rogue. I would recommend taking levels of fighter instead of ranger. You need nine levels of ranger to get improved two weapon fighting. Four levels of fighter gives you the three feats (two weapon fighting, ambidexterity, improved two weapon fighting) and you can then concentrate on getting more rogue levels for greater sneak attacks. I have a dex build and have problems with some creatures -- building strength and dex may be better to get by the damage resistance.

An interesting combo is rogue/assassin/shadowdancer. Having more than one level of shadowdancer is really redundant with your rogue abilities (unless you want to be able to summon shadows). Blackguard looks good in combination with rogue but you need to put additional points in charisma. Rogue/assassin/blackguard, rogue/shadowdancer/blackguard or fighter/rogue/blackguard are interesting builds -- although I can never seem to stay evil.

3. Colthrun

Yeah, the game makes it quite difficult to keep an evil alignment unless you act like a jerk all the time...

I normally take just one level of ranger for dual-wielding, and the proficiency with normal and martial weapons. The extra attack given by the Improved 2-weapon style would be handy indeed, though, so I may consider fighter levels.

I try to maximise the number of rogue levels, being 10 my bare minimum to get Opportunist (+4 to hit when sneak attacking), which is quite useful against armored foes. Crippling strike is also useful, but I'd need level 13 for that one too... Does anyone know what's the level cap in Darkness over Daggerford?

Also, how effective is the Shadowdancer's Summoned Shadow?

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    You can go crazy and try Barbarian/Rogue, why not. In fact, the module should be playable with a Rogue/Paladin. Harper Scout could fit the story also. Rogue/Wizard should be interesting to play as well. As for levels, that will be 14 with a melee character if you start at level 8. That probably means a rogue should hit level 15 some time before the final battle.

5. Colthrun

So I could plan it like SoU, more or less... Thanks for the info, chevalier.

I just finished the Maximilians' maze yesterday with a Rogue(8) / Shadowdancer(1). It was a walk in the park thanks to Hide in Plain Sight, but it did make it quite boring as well.

Paladin and Barbatian are both out of the question, I'm playing Lawful Evil, I'm afraid. :evil:

[ November 17, 2006, 11:38: Message edited by: Colthrun ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.