1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Proficiency slots

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Nightal, May 15, 2001.

1. Nightal Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I have 4 profencie slots unused, how can I devide them?

2. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

If you are at the beginning of the game, find a guy named Porphiron in NW Hive, do his quest and he'll train you in weapons you choose - but only to level ++. Later you'll find Korur (Lower Ward) who can train you more.

If you have trained a bit, then use all 4 proficiences on hammers and daggers! There is a powerful hammer early in the game (in Player's Maze) and later more powerful in one shop. And daggers you'll use when playing as mage or thief.

People who say to invest in axes because they are most powerful weapons in the game lie :mad: :mad: - hammers are more stronger weapons in this game.
    But of course, if you like axes anyway, get 'em.

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited May 15, 2001).]

3. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I didn't think hammers were powerful enough to use instead of axes. I'd use one if I'd play the game through as a fighter again, but just to have a two handed weapon :cool:

4. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Ok, tell me what was the best axe you used, and I'll tell you the hammer better than it! :mad:

But, please, don't give me cheat shit like Eviscerator.

5. herf Guest

the axes are better in the start and end of the game simply because they are fatser and hamers are very very slow and you only get a few hits per round. for the amount of damage they do they arent worth it because it turns out that axes do more damage over a certain amount of time. the only good hammer in the game is the hammer of communition (sp?) and it is quickly superceded by most other weapons and lets face it, its unstealable and it costs a hell of a lot.

axes are better!
    but to start of with daggers are better.

6. Extremist Gems: 31/31

A flame war, heh? :mad: :mad:

As soon as you escape Mortuary, you can go into Dangerous Angels Alley, become Aoskar's disciple, get mazed by the Lady, and find this:

BRIMSTONE HAMMER
    Damage: 2-9 Crushing
    Enchanted: +1
    Special:
    +4 Fire Damage
    +25% Resistance to Fire
    THAC0: +1
    Speed: 7
    Weight: 5
    Proficiency: Hammers
    Usable only by Fighters

This type of weapon, thought to be forged by the flames of the elemental plane of fire, is extremely rare, even in Sigil. The elemental properties of the hammer grants it wielder an increased resistance to fire and fire-based attacks. In addition, when used in combat, the hammer deals out additional damage when it successfully connects, searing its target with crackling flames.

So, what axe can beat it this early in the game? :mad: :mad:

And that so called expensive hammer is not cheap because you probably wasted all the money on lame axes. :mad:
    Find me an axe in the whole game better than this:

HAMMER OF COMMINUTION
    Damage: 4-14 Crushing
    Special: 1-6 Acid Damage
    THAC0: +2
    Speed: 10
    Weight: 10
    Proficiency: Hammers
    Usable only by Fighters

Research reveals that this is a formidable weapon indeed. Far superior to a normal sledgehammer, this war hammer (also called "The Hammer of Comminution") delivers a devastating strike that not only inflicts crushing damage, but also fractures any surface it contacts, whether bone, metal, or wood, inflicting extra damage...and if the victim survives, it also "softens" him up for the next attack.

The Hammer of Comminution was used extensively by Enote, a Doomguard priest, in 14 E.U. A philosopher who was prone to violent mood swings while debating theology, he was known to espouse the virtues of the hammer as a means of furthering the decay of dead matter. Whether or not what he struck with the hammer was dead or alive before the blow is open to debate.

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited May 16, 2001).]

7. Igneous Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] Did you ever watched the speed on that 'hammer of communition' of you?
    It's 10.... Slow, Slow, Slow. :(

I'm in carceri still with my enchanted axe, and I seem to kill a lot faster than I did with my hammerguy a few games back with that hammer of communition, in the same place. Axes are faster and Herf already said it, damage evens out if you compare them likewise. Strenght does most of the damage also.

But I have to confess that I did not find anything better than an enchanted axe (that jesters axe is to dangerous.....) If I happen to stumble upon something better, axes will be defenately better.

As a sidenote, it does not matter what is better in the end, because fighting monsters is of a lesser concern in this game anyway.. But you already know that, so I will shut up now... ;) It has become a matter of principle between you two now I think :D

8. Extremist Gems: 31/31

ENCHANTED BATTLE AXE
    Damage: 2-9 Slashing
    THAC0: +1
    Speed: 6
    Weight: 4
    Proficiency: Axes
    Usable only by Fighters

You kill faster/better with this than the Brimstone? My ass... :mad:

At the end of course you'll get Entropic Blade or Celestial Fire, and then hammers or axes doesn't matter. You're right on that. Also, in the middle of the game you'll get Ravel's Nail. But that's why I told up there to improve daggers beside hammers.
    So final note of yours about late game is not the theme to fight over it here. This is my defending of hammers in the game.

A tip to beat my flames: join Godsmen. :(

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited May 16, 2001).]

9. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Yes, they have this nice axe, don't they? Could you spare a moment from all that flaming and tell me what this 'cheat shit' Eviscerator is?

10. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.