1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Problem in Mind Flayer Dungeon

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by knaji, Jan 19, 2016.

1. knaji Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hey everybody,

I've finally started my first Playthrough of BG 2 a few weeks ago! So far it's been a fun experience (sometimes a little frustrating as well...), but I've run into a little problem now.

I've been fighting my way through the Mind Flayer Dungeon and finally managed to beat it today. When I wanted to leave I noticed that I was missing one gem bag on my main character...for some reason it's dropped in the cells you get thrown in at the beginning.
    My problem is, that I can't enter these cells anymore because the doors are magically locked (and didn't open after i killed the Master Brain as I hoped) and my gem bag had a lot of nice gems in it that I want to have back (apparently the 4 rogue stones inside might be useful for more than the money...)

Is there any way to open those doors? Or do I have to look up how to create them through console commands?

Hope you can help me!

PS: I've installed all mods listed at this page http://kotaku.com/baldurs-gate-ii-is-still-one-of-the-greatest-rpgs-ever-1278311582

2. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Use Ctrl+J to teleport inside, grab the bag, and use it to teleport back outside. It's possible to use the console to achieve the same thing, but it's too much work for no reason.

You'll probably have to activate Debug Mode, just like you would for console commands. If you can already access the console, then Ctrl commands should work as well.

knaji likes this.
  3. knaji Gems: 1/31

Thank you very much! Worked out exactly as advertised :)
    Finally I can leave the underdark.

4. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    No problem. Try not to use Ctrl+J too much. It's an easy habit to get into. ;)

5. knaji Gems: 1/31

Yeah, it's probably best if I just deactivate debug mode right away. :D Don't want to ruin my first playthrough by teleporting everywhere.

6. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Probably the gem bag got dropped when the ogre prison guard gave you some healing potions. If there's not enough space in your inventory, it simply displaces the stuff in your inventory (which then gets dropped to the ground). It's always a good idea to check your inventory the game gives you stuff.

7. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'd agree with that for first-time players or people still new to the game, but once you get to be a veteran, there are times when using CTRL+J to avoid tedium and increase fun can be useful.

Such as when you are leaving Firkrag's dungeon after clearing out everything.
    Especially if you are doing the paladin's stronghold quest and leaving him alive for the moment.
    It can be boring watching your party march through the dungeon on their way back to town, so I often CTRL+J to the exits for each map.

8. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    That's why I use the Teleport spell.

9. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    What mod brought that back? I only recall one for Dimension Door, and I don't feel like blowing all my 4th level slots to cast it repeatedly. They are better spent on stoneskins, teleport fields, wizard eyes, emotion, and a slew of other useful spells than a mere convenience.

Then again, games like Might and Magic or Magic Candle trained me to rest as little as possible. It is partially my play style.

10. knaji Gems: 1/31

Ah I was wondering where all the healing potions came from, but didn't think too much about it, since you can never have enough of those... Guess I have to pay a little more attention.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to my next playthrough with a new class and I can see the benefits of not having to wait for that one party member who decided to run in the other direction or gets stuck somewhere.

11. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Do note that using Ctrl+J can cause you to miss important triggers in the game, even if just retreating from a dungeon, so it's best to use it in moderation until you know exactly what to expect from each area. Might wanna consider using speed buffs instead. Not an ideal solution, but I've always found it to be a good compromise between convenience and straight out cheating.

12. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    True, I just as often use CLUAConsole:CreateItem("potn14",6), pass them around and have everybody quaff one for that reason.
    Yes, haste (scrl1h) would be easier, but it has that fatigue effect.

13. knaji Gems: 1/31

Good to know! I'll try to keep in mind that teleporting from entrance to exit might be a bad idea ;)

14. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    That was why I said not to do it your first time. Take note of any events that happen as you are leaving. After your 3rd or 4th runthrough, you'll probably remember when it was just a boring march back and when something happened. However, it is not always obvious, just remember if something that happened in a given location is mentioned elsewhere, there was probably a trigger.

You can also use ALT-3 (or was it ALT-4, I'm drawing a blank. It is obvious when I invoke it if I hit the wrong key) with the "enable cheat keys" turned on to show some of the triggers.

15. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Alt+4 shows you ground triggers, but then you're really entering debug mode. :shake:

16. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    True. I think I was confusing BG2 with IWD2 for the <ALT>-<3>.
    P.S.
    One of these days I'm going to get with the 21st century conventions for typing up keystrokes and stop using the old Apple II convention I learned in the late '80s as a child.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.