1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Prince Harry - Idiot

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Barmy Army, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I picture that paints a thousand words...

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40716000/jpg/_40716791_sun203ok.jpg

His drinking does'nt bother me, in fact I'll quite happliy join him. Soft drugs is no big deal either, although he is on his own there, I'll stick to the drink :beer: .

Harry dressing up as a Nazi, even in fancy dress just strikes me as stupidity beyond belief. He probably could not have picked a worse disguise, and even as someone who nis not interested in the Royals, I cannot believe he can be that that stupid. He's even selling copies of the Sun :lol: .

He has to remember that he could be the future King of England. I have some sympathy with him battering photographers, I have some sympathy that he is always in the public spotlight. I have little sympathy with him needing to cheat in his school exams. I have no sympathy for any idiot that puts on Nazil regalia regardless of the circumstances.

If it would have been me I would have been sacked, no question. Harry is only young and will make mistakes, but this one is by far his worst yet...

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

What a clown that boy is.

3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Last I checked, the British royal family only bred for Hemophilia, not intelligence . . .

4. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Well if he was going to dress up as a Nazi he should have atleast done it in style. That costume looks extremely cheap and like something he made himself. One would think that a prince of the royal family could afford something better. The idea in itself is stupid enough too though.

5. Midwinter Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

What I'd like to know is: who else knew about this? Was *everyone* else completely ignorant?

Regardless, this act is crass beyond belief. Harry's an idiot.

6. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Wondering how soon the press will recall that the British royals are actually German. :rolleyes:

7. knightlight Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Rarrrrr, saxon invaders.

8. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Who cares? It was just a costume party and not the Political Conference of the Century. True, he could had chosen a bit more wisely, but the sky hasn't fallen yet, has it? :rolleyes:

9. Warrior of the World

Warrior of the World Questing through space

Nightlight: Not Saxons, the Saxon nobility were pretty much all displaced by the Normans (French/Danes). The current monarchy is German from the 19th century.

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Oh, the sky has fallen in the UK over this, and hard... Stupid is ok and expected from the royal family on a regular basis (poor Harry's had plenty of crazy genes down the family tree). But insultingly stupid - that's a major no-no.

Really, idiot is a fitting description of him. Either he's living so far from reality that he has completely no idea what's acceptable for someone in his position, or he simply doesn't give a rat's about it. But either way he's stupid - if for nothing else, because he got in a load of trouble over it with the royal family and many other people and organizations. Anyone with any common sense would rather avoid that.

11. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

How precisely is wearing a Nazi uniform insulting? He's not going around condoning their actions. Clearly he made a bad choice in choosing a costume for a private function, but the whole thing is being blown entirely out of proportion by tabloids who've been desperate for a good scandal after being forced to report real news for a while with the tsunami.

12. Barmy Army

Media:
    Harry's activities tend to be blown out of proportion by the gutter press. Private Eye do a great job of satirising this, running headlines like 'Revealed: 19 year old has girlfriend' or '18 year old drinks too much and gets into a fight shocker.'

I have less sympathy with the ginger one in this case. Regardless of the story behind this the mere fact that he wears the Nazi symbol is going to piss off an awful lot of people. 6 million people from this country died fighting the Nazis. The Nazis believed that Jews, Blacks, Communists, the elderly and the disabled (there are many British people who fall under one or more of these categories) were unfit to live.

This forum amuses me sometimes. There are people on here who cry 'political correctness has gone mad' every time anyone takes offence at anything, regardless of the nature of the incident. I mean, what is this country coming to when a prominant meber of our Royal family can't dress up as a Nazi without a few people grumbling. Yes, our country is surely mad!

Mind you, he does have German blood...

13. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

The article I read said the costume shop he got the uniform from also had an SS uniform. At least he didn't chose the latter.

Imagine the scandal when they discover "Rammstein" on his iPod.

As for being German, if his family hadn't changed their names repeatedly, and followed the patrilineal line, his name would be Harry Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg.

But my favorite is still the "king" of Bulgaria, Simeon Sakskoburggotski (an attempt at bulgarianizing Saxe-Coburg-Gotha).

Two wars and the Germans still run Europe...

14. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Midwinter - good point, someone else must have known.

Wildfire - all that matters is that he should have been aware that his actions would be perceived by others as being insulting. He should be well aware of what the tabloids will blow out of proportion.

15. Barmy Army

Media:
    I hope you are taking the piss, Bion...

16. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Well, ok, maybe with the Germans running Europe, and I have no idea what's on Harry's iPod...

As for the SS uniform:

So obviously there's a market in London for such attire...

Otherwise: the very long last name was officially the last name of Prince Phillip's father, Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark (later deposed), who married a Princess Alice of Battenburg, whence the name "Mountbatten." (The Bulgarian "king" with the funny name is no doubt related somehow.)

As for having a piss, as a yank I reserve the right to roll my eyes at the public misadventures of the Euro royals. For us across the pond, this kind of thing reads like the politics version of professional wrestling. Our media, on the other hand, is far more concerned with important issues, like the breakup of Brad and Jen...

17. Cernak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

The royal family has been German since 1715, when George of Hanover assumed the throne, primarily because the Stuarts, the "rightful" kings, were incredibly inept even by the standards of royalty, which God knows are not very high.

Perhaps it's time to retire the Royals, or at least bring back the Plantagenets.

18. Newfie Banned

Insulting, yes, there is no doubt about that. But the guy is just a kid and he probably thinks it looks cool to wear the symbol. He probably doesn't know the history behind it and if he did and took stock of his actions then I am sure he would not have. We all make mistakes at that age and it is not like he is a card carrying member of the S.S.. If he did this for a publicity stunt though, I hope the press crucify him. I am sure a good stint in the British army will make him grow up real fast and change his perspective a little.

19. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

But at least he's taking the heat off his brother...

Really, is it possible that he picked the costume to play to the Papperazzi and **** with them after they were instrumental in his mother's death? If I was him, I'd have armed body guards with orders to shoot papperazzi on sight!

20. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Hmmm, I wonder if there would be the same outrage when a Native Mexican wears a conquistadors outfit?

It's only bad to wear a Nazi outfit because they lost war, yup.

His only mistake is that people take everything for an outrage.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.