1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Prejudices, Racism, etc.

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Splunge, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [This thread continues from the Vegan girl one here: http://www.sorcerers.net/forums/showthread.php?p=644760#post644760 -Tal]

Heck, I don't trust teachers, because a few of them have been proven to be child molesters. After all, teachers like to hang around children. How could they be anything other than child molesters?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2008
  2. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

If many of your personal experiences with teachers had been negative in nature, Splunge, such feelings would be understandable, if not logical. I'm just going off my personal experiences with vegans and animal lovers, and I made it clear that I fully understand there are many non-obnoxious ones out there. But based on my experiences I'm not inclined to trust these sorts until they demonstrate normalcy. Call it what you will, that's the way I see it.

3. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Actually, they would be neither. This is - literally - the exact same logic we use to claim that we shouldn't trust black people because they are criminals, or that we shouldn't trust police because they are corrupt, or that we shouldn't trust Muslims because they are terrorists, or that we shouldn't trust Arabs because they are Muslim, or that we shouldn't trust gay people because they molest children...

It's racism, but this time it's based on what people (don't) eat instead of the color of their skin.

Splunge likes this.
  4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I don't trust republicans.

:p

5. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I was too busy being snarky at joacqin in the PETA thread (:p), and forgot to respond to this. But no need to now - Drew gave a much better response than I would have come up with. :)

6. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Wow! I've never been so stylishly accused of racism before! Those generalizations you made are fair, but they missed the central idea that I was asserting, which was one of personal experience with a group. Now if a person holding attribute "X" and I have an interaction, and that interaction is negative, then I have a personal baseline. If I meet several people with attribute "X" and have similarily negative experiences with them, I'm likely going to develop an opinion of people with said attribute. Now, that does not give me the right to go out, hunt down and kill people with attribute "X", or to persecute them, but it is not that unreasonable that I am not going to trust peopel I meet who have said attribute. I can try to be logical and fair, and I should at all times obey the law (ie: not deny them jobs if I hire for a business, not deny them housing if I am a landlord, etc) but inside that lack of trust is there and I don't think it's accurate to equate that with balls out racism.

7. Drew

Media:
    I used to work for an ardent Louisiana racist, for the better part of a year, who frequently used the "N" word, often ranted about how blacks and Mexicans don't take care of their kids [which is why he says that over 90% of them are criminals], about the "black conspiracy" to control the government of Louisiana in order to keep the welfare checks coming (since 95%* of all the black people are living high on the hog on welfare and driving expensive cars while good working white people struggle to make it without government handouts), and how any time a white man is alone with more than one black man, they will beat him up and take his stuff, and he bases every one of his ridiculous claims on "personal experience".

Sure, you aren't this schmuck - not even close - but you do realize that prejudice is always based on personal experience, do you not?

* It's actually closer to 2 percent, and 80% of that 2% are children.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  8. Splunge

Media:
    Well, that settles it. What the hell are all these black children doing driving expensive cars? Don't their parents set any boundaries? :nolike:

:p

9. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Very often prejudice is based on what people have been told by their parents or other family, schoolmates, teachers, etc. without any personal experience of what they think they know (I bet most Germans in 1933 had never spoken to a Jew, or if they had, the Jew had been kind and polite).

But yes, negative experiences with certain groups of people will create prejudices. I wonder what had happened to make your ex-boss such a racist; I can only assume that he had some real, bad experiences with black people.

10. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    With the attitudes the guy has I'm not surprised. As in I'm willing to bet a lot that this guy has had prejudice against minorities from who knows how long and it is more than likely that those prejudices have worked against him.

Such is the way of prejudice. Not very useful, unless you're going to war. Then it makes it easier to kill those who are not of your kind, less than human, the Enemy.

11. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Now, there's one VERY big difference, imo, between racism and irrational bias and what LKD is talking about, and you all seem to have missed it. Here it is (emphasis mine):

For those who missed it (jk), it's the willingness to change his mind on individuals. He may start with the assumption that anyone with attribute X that he's likely to meet is Y, but if they then show themselves not to be, he is willing to change his mind on that individual. On top of that, since his opinion is based on personal experience and not 'what his pappy taught him', he's likely to change that initial opinion if he encounters a large number of people X who aren't Y.

12. Drew

Media:
    NOG: I made it clear that I fully understand that there are non-criminal black people out there, but based on my experiences I'm not inclined to trust these sorts until they demonstrate that they are normal.

Doesn't work terribly well, does it?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  13. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] And how much does it take for a person to prove themselves? If they prove themselves as honest, trustworthy, beyonf your prejudiced views, where do they get? The level of trust and honour that you regard people of your own kind as having?

I admit, I'm prejudiced against Chavs and generally distrust most people and recieve much the same in like.

I've had to have my boyfriend defending my honour after a group of *children* came up and demanded for me to hand over my walking stick. It's quite ornate and I only use it out on special occassions. Their parents were nearby, and were the sort I'd classify as a chav, neither they or their children went against any prejudice I had for them.

I am not proud of being prejudiced, but you get to the point where if you're not part of a group and you cannot understand the way they act you think negatively of them. If the particular group in question is one that goes out of their way to cause me trouble, that isn't going to change.

I have enough problems from most people to only really bear a grudge against those who perpetuate it anyway.

I also believe 'positive discrimination' it a load of :bs: and can be just as damaging as 'negative discrmiination' (even if it does benefit me a lot :rolleyes:)

14. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

If I don't trust any group and take reasonable, legal steps to protect myself from them just to be on the safe side, that may not be fair, I'll admit, but it isn't going to bloody well change, political correctness be damned.

If I cross to the other side of the street when a member of a group I don't trust comes toward me, maybe that makes some people think I'm a bit of a jerk, but that's a FAR cry from discrimination or the racism most peope think of when they hear the word, because I did absolutely no harm to the person coming toward me.

By the same token, if someone identifies themselves as being from a group I have seen on newscasts that advocates positions I disagree with, yeah, I think differently of them than I do of those who share my opinions. That's not heinous all that different from everyone else.

15. Drew

Media:
    You can be racist without being discriminatory. If you aren't willing to walk on the same side of the street with someone because he doesn't eat the same food as you do, you aren't being discriminatory, but you are still being prejudiced...and more than just a little ridiculous.

16. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Actually, on the street thing I was thinking of the racial / cultural angle that has crept into this discussion, and the idea that some people could try to attack me.

As an example, while walking downtown I've frequently been accosted by people looking for money -- panhandlers if you will. I was not attacked or anything but the one fellow did grab my arm briefly and several have attempted to intimidate me. Now when I see people who look like him I cross over -- simple as that. I'm not taking risks no matter what people tell me I should do to be suitably non-judgemental and multicultural. I know for a fact that not all people who look like the fellow who grabbed me are criminals or panhandlers, but I'm going to follow my common sense when it comes to my own safety -- and that of my family should they be with me. Better safe than sorry as long as I stay within the law.

17. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

If I've been eating chilli, then I won't fault anyone for walking on the other side of the street from me--especially if they knew I was intot he Chilli!

18. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Drew, define racism, prejudice, and discrimination for us. What is considered discrimination, prejudice, or racism and what is concidered justifiable?

Let me put it to you this way, Drew. If every black man you had ever seen, heard of, or read about was either in the criminal justice system or committing a violent crime, would it be racist to not trust black men?

19. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    To build on NOG's questions. Why has society decided that racism, prejudice, and discrimination are wrong. Isn't it just as wrong to force someone to be friends with, work with, live with, etc. someone that they don't like? When did the Mommie's take over and we must all be the best of friends. Shouldn't people be allowed to "hate" whoever they want? Violence is already a crime so as long as you aren't beating people up, shouldn't you be allowed to despise whomever you want? If someone wants to open a restaurant that only serves "White men" shouldn't they be allowed to? I'm guessing the enterprise would be a failure as they would be excluding so many people, but shouldn't it be the owner's decision?

For the record, I am channeling my "internal George Carlin" today and being cranky. I don't necessarily agree wth everything I have posted (especially the restuarant one), but I'm also not convinced that we can legislate everyone to get along.

20. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

We can't do that. Some groups have certain things they do that make them different from the rest of society. Other groups believe what they do to be morally wrong. The Law has to protect us both, but the law can't force us to get along.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.