1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Post Election Selection Trauma

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by AMaster, Dec 8, 2004.

1. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    http://www.bocanews.com/index.php?src=news&prid=10324&category=Local%20News

A teaser:

:D

[ December 08, 2004, 02:30: Message edited by: AMaster ]

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Dear oh dear. Get a life, people! I'm trying to imagine something like that happening here. It would never happen. Just like we would never have crowds of people turn up to a rally just to hear a candidate speak and cheer them on as if they were a pop star.

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Covered by insurance?!?

Come to think of it, I'm a little bit upset that I couldn't think of the title of the Led Zeppelin song posted today in the Song Quote Game...

4. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

So people come in, whine about the guy that got elected, and bill their insurance? That doctor has to be thinking one thing--God Bless America!

5. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well, Splunge, you should be. I suggest you lodge a claim with your insurance and see if they'll pay for you to obtain and listen to a complete Led Zeppelin music catalogue.

6. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    If they hate Bush so much, they can move to Canada until his term is over. :wave:

It always amazes me that those people who hate the person in power of there country never think about going to a different country for awhile. :rolling:

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    This might move this thread to the alley but why is it that some people think that people should leave their country if they disagree with their leadership? Should no dissenters be allowed to stay? Is it not OK to dislike or even hate the political leadership of ones country?

Is the country of your birth, the country where you were brought up, where you have all your friends and family not your country anymore just because you disagree with the current regime?

8. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

It remeinds me of the time when the Spice Girls split up. Counseling was offered (in the UK) but to my knoweledge the 12 yearold's did not take up that kind offer!

9. toughluck Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

joacquin - this is not about 'allowing' or 'disallowing' someone to stay. It is about their free choice. If they say that "Democracy is at stake," why do they wish to remain in the US, if democracy is that precious to them???
    Aside from that, your speech reveals one thing - you are one of those people that would say: "we fully sympathise* with you, poor [insert opressed nationality's name here], but do keep your ilk and your filth in your country, we don't want you here." Oh, everyone would love to have 'opressed Americans,' if only for their money. But if they were the poorer class, and had no skills to offer to the recipient state? Forget it, it'd be harder to give them asylum than to Iraqis, or Afghani - there would be no prestige reasons to do so.

*) if we sympathise, we do not mean we empathise. We have too much money, too high life standard, and too much freedom to be able to empathise with what filth, scum and trash, such as you is feeling.

10. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    :confused: I'm honestly at a loss as to whether the political nature of this issue requires me to move this to the Alley, or whether this is so ridiculous ( and thereby quite amusing) such that I should leave it in Whatnots. :shake:

[ December 08, 2004, 13:09: Message edited by: Beren ]

11. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I think that getting group thearpy is going a wee bit too far.

I can sympathise with them but resorting to group therapy?????? They are adults and should get over it.

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I think AoDA needs some lighter topics too, and since this one technically fits... Whoosh!

13. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG]
    Well, I called them. Apparently, my policy specifically excludes Zep because "Robert Plant sometimes sounds like a girl". Oddly though, I'm covered for Rush.

:xx:

14. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    That sounds like a rather extreme solution. I mean, maybe if you're 20 years old and single and looking to start a career for yourself, but for most people moving to a different country is simply economically impractical, extremely disruptive, and majorly inconvenient.

15. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I've never found myself in a situation where I have hated my country's political leader enough to consider moving to another country. Mostly because I don't think one politician is all that different from another and the impact on my life would be minimal no matter who got into power.

16. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    These people are pathetic. Yet another case of someone wanting a label for their pain or an ailment to blame all their problems on.

"The doctor gave me a pill and I'm all better now."

What a crock.

17. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well, Splunge, you're Canadian and so is Geddy, so there's the homeland security exception.

IMO, the only time people really leave their country as a direct political protest is when their own life is at stake, a la the US citizens who went to Canada because of the draft. Generally, they weren't even necessarily against the war itself, just the war as it included them and the statistical chance of dying.

True political activists tend to stay because they believe that they can make things better, at least in western countries, where there is a better than good chance that their rights are safe and they aren't in physical danger as a result of their politics (with the obvious exception of, say Martin Luther King).

18. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Toughluck, you know not of what you speak. People have homes you know, places they have emotional attachments to. Most prefer to stay as far as possible and despite my view of Bush as somone who has dangerous authoritarian tendencies I would not let someone like that make me leave my home.

There are however instances when it is impossible to stay in your home country on pain of death and in my opinion every real democratic country should receive such people with open arms.

If you werent so ignorant I would quite offended by your post.

19. Harbourboy

It's easy. People move countries if they think it will be beneficial, for whatever reason. I have moved countries for money, to broaden my mind, but never for election result reasons.

20. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    What is lost in this dialogue is that some people actually love this country. It may be hard for many on this board to believe, because of their distaste for anything that is remotely American. Nevertheless, some of us really believe that America's fate is worth a few bitter tears (not literally, of course) when considering it's current leadership.

Because of this regime, America is not only the laughing stock of most of the world, but 49 percent of its own people as well. I guess for some, the election really was about the future of the country; for others it was about Kerry or Bush - the men. Consider Kitrax's comment and suggestion that Americans should leave their country because they have contempt their leader. It never occured to him that this is as much their country as his, or Shrub's for that matter. He fails to see that it's not about the man, but about the nation. Or that one would only have to move to the "other" America: New York or California or another "blue" state, like Vermont.

As for me, I'm not really all the saddened by it. But I may be a little pissed off about it; perhaps I'm mad as all Hell about it. And I like being in a "red" state where I can continue to be a source of opposition and a chronic irritation to those who worship the commander-and-idiot of our once great nation. So don't worry just yet, I'm not going to Canada anytime soon. I know that Republicans love their elephants, and I guess Democrats love their jack-asses. So, perhaps we should make up as good Americans: We can hug your elephants, and you can kiss our jack-asses. Have a nice day.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.