1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Possibly the Most common subject: Soloing

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by GodRules44, Jul 27, 2004.

1. GodRules44 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Yes Yes I realize completely that these types of posts are all but infinite, but I am in a bit of a lock. I solo a lot, but never actually get through the game because I get bored once I leave for spellhold. I was wondering what type of character would be the most... interesting to solo. I'm not asking for the easiest or hardest, but the most fun, reffering to use of abilities exc... though yes I'm sure people will be mad at me for posting yet ANOTHER one of these types of topics, oh well :)

2. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Well, a monk would be cool and fun to solo, and so would perhaps a druid be.

Im soloing a assassin/mage (multiclass) at BG II, and a monk at IwD II right now

3. Bhaerau Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'd say you should go with a rogue /swashbuckler) or a fighter/rogue, perhaps dualclass. A mage would also be a nice option.

4. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

Depends on what "fun" is to you.
    Why do you get bored when soloing?
    Does it take you too much real time? Maybe you are making too many optional quests?
    Which classes have you tried to solo with and are there any you absolutely do not want to try again with?

Depending on which class(es) you choose you get more or less variety.
    For example a thief might seem like a fun character, but it's a "limited" character; you hide and backstab or you hide and sneak past the enemy. A Fighter/Thief would have those same options but could also stand up and fight in melee, which the pure Thief would have problem doing.

5. Drumheller Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

:doh: Mistook this for the TOB forum...sorry!

GodRules, which classes have you soloed before? Perhaps a multi or dual class could provide some more variety for your next character.

[ July 27, 2004, 19:56: Message edited by: Drumheller ]

6. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I don't think there are wild mages in SoA.

I never solo'ed, but I've heard good things about Blades.

7. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    As mentioned above, it would help to know why you quit (i.e., what is boring you). If it's being overpowered, that would lead to one set of answers. If it's not having good stuff after a while (i.e., I always use Celestial Fury), that would lead to a different answer.

Because I don't know, I'm going to throw out one suggestion that I know will make a couple of regulars happy. Try a blade. He's as over or under powered as you are willing to go, he has elements of three different classes (fighter, mage and thief) he can use all of the stuff in the game (basically), so there's always something new to get, and he can make for some interesting tactics.

I find that solo's with sorcerors or any pure class gets boring. Quite frankly, I think the most boring solo is a monk. Frustration early as you try to protect the naked weakling, swiftly followed by yawns as your magic resistant fighting machine kills everything with his bare hands. Plus, the monk has the fewest cool items to use in the game. Soloing a mage or sorceror also gets old quickly, as you have a set group of spells that get you through everything, and they only change as you find a better version to use.

I suppose you could also try a F/M/T or a F/M/C if you want to have as many abilities and classes available, but the slow leveling up can be painful, even with the one character getting all of the experience.

8. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I can second the Blade idea. Not a great tank, not a great mage, pretty crappy thief, but combined into one, it's a lot of fun. It almost forces you to use a number of different strategies in various circumastances, and keeps things interesting in the process.

9. nataben1314 Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

If being overpowered is your problem I would advise against a blade. By the time you are through the chapter 2 quests you will be more then powerful enough to kill anything in the game without blinking. I always thought it might be fun to solo a barbarian because it should always prove some kind of a challenge to take on spellcasters. The thing that really overpowers solos are spells. Any solo that can cast spells invariably becomes overpowered by the end of chapter 2. So you have mage, sorcerer, druid, cleric, and bard out of the picture. Next to go would be the thiefs, because for me it is incredibly boring to simply hide in shadows, then backstab, then hide in shadows, then backstab, for the ENTIRE game! So that leaves you with fighters, rangers, paladins, barbarians, and monks. Inquisitors gain overpowered spells, so they are gone from the list. monks and wizard slayers probably won't be fun because there is not much fun equipment to use. So that leaves you with barbarian, kensai, berserker, fighter, ranger, beastmaster, archer, cavalier, paladin, and undead hunter.

10. GodRules44 Gems: 4/31

Well, thanks for your advice so far. I usually got bored because I had TOB installed (so I could go as high level as I wanted) so I ended up doing almost every quest, which got boring every time I soloed. The first time I soloed with a sorcerer, which quickly got boring just slaughtering everything that came within 10 feet of me. I tried a blade for a while but I didn't really get how to use him at the time so I figured he sucked. I tried him more recently and it just wasn't all so great. I think that some of the boring-ness comes from having done the quests I need to do to get the weapon I want, 30,000 times each before, such as when I soloed the cleric getting the crom faeyr (sp?) took 2 full quests, one mini pop in and pop out mind flayer dungeon, and the kua toa in the underdark who I hate so much. Overpowered does take fun out of it, because if you're a sorcerer you're gonna level up so fast because you're soloing then the fact that you're a sorcerer makes you insanely deadly at low and high levels. I really want something that would get my strategic mind working (it's been dead for a while) or something that'd force quests that most people don't usually take, etc. I tried a druid but didn't get anywhere because it just bored me to no end. I figure I should try a dual or multi class, one of the more obscure ones.

11. nataben1314 Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I doubt that soloing will ever get your strategic mind working unfortunatly. Usually strategy is most necessary with a spell caster type character, and as we have already discussed, spell casters are so overpowered in a solo situation that it takes all strategy out of using them. A melee fighter by nature is not very strategic, usually amounting to nothing more then doing hit and run at low levels and watching him kill everything at high levels. solo thiefs aren't to strategic because it's just hide backstab repeat.

I was thinking for a fun game strategically to use a 4 character evil party, with the PC as a thief. The reason for them being evil is you can use all singleclasses, making the party much more specialized and thus "strategic".

PC (Thief of some kind)
    Korgan
    Edwin
    Viconia

Also, perhaps play on a high difficulty. This game may prove strategic because you would only have one tank, one arcane caster, one divine caster, and one backstabber, and none of them would be gaining levels obscenely fast, so you would be forced to combine each characters strengths.

If you want strictly a solo, however, the best way in my mind to make it strategic is to attempt a solo sorcerer using only spells that aren't commonly used. For instance, you would make a rule that you weren't allowed to use magic missle, breach, spell immunity, skull trap, time stop, horrid wilting, etc.

12. GodRules44 Gems: 4/31

The four member idea is actually good... but I don't know. I was thinking solo mage but without certain spells, a bit harder than a sor. without certain spells.

13. Drumheller Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

How about a mod? The Tactics mod for instance will force you to approach battles differently, especially with enemy spellcasters. Your solo Mage/Sorc would get quite a workout.

Besides limiting your spell choices, you can try different equipment instead of the 'best' for each class. No Crom Faeyr, Robe of Vecna, Carsomyr, etc.

14. Earl Grey

Sounds like you do too many quests. Try sticking to the main storyline and push through the game fast instead.

15. GodRules44 Gems: 4/31

Well now I have a Dilemma... I put in the tactics mod, and I'm soloing a sorcerer... this certaintly does take tactics because when I wake up I have to defeat two duegars who take all my spells to defeat! That makes me have to sleep again starting the whole process over. It's very annoying. I guess I can just slowly make my way through the dungeon while gaining tons of xp from the 2000 each duegars every time I rest -.-'

16. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I hate this attitude people have about thieves not being able to fight. A good swashbuckler can get an AC as low as -20 by the end of SOA, and he can stand toe to toe with the best of them. I have solo-ed many times with a Swashbuckler with very interesting results.

17. Mayfairy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Solo fighter/mage/thief gives you a bit of variety.
    I just recently started a new game with such character.

@Jan: You're right in what you said about thieves. I've soloed with every thief kit there is except trapper (or something like that), and everytime I've quit because of boredom.

18. Earl Grey

Isn't that the problem? A thief can fight, especially a Swashie, but it takes more micromanagement than a fighter making the process more likely to get tedious as you do the same thing over and over again. With a spellcaster you've got all those spells to choose from, so if you get bored with one way of doing it you can always try some other spells.
    A fighter type has little variation but he hacks his way through it fast and with little need for special orders.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.