1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Portals

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Big B, May 29, 2001.

1. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] I know that portals need keys to open them and that keys can be both physical and in your head if you know the right thought. Well sometimes I have seen a portal and gone through it but I never knew what exactly the key was. So far they haven't been anything spectacular like the portals to Pharod's Vault or the Siege Tower. It's obvious what the keys are for those portals, but I'm talking about the little places some portals take you to, where there are a few items to get or a few enemies to kill. It's not real obvious what the key was for those. Is there any way you can know for sure what key you had to use to get into a portal?

2. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Don't really know! I have never entered any of those portals. I have heard about one in trash warrens, but I suppose you just stumple upon one by chance.

3. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

What portals exactly are you talking about?There's only one portal in the whole game that you can't find info on key and so it can be opened on simple luck - that Trash Warrens one.

4. herf Guest

urm, theres one in sigil, it takes you to the masoleum, but you have to know its there first. theres the one in the mortuary, that needs a crooken finger bone. theres one in curst, with the broken link of chain. i cant think of any more off the top of my head. we need more info, supply it please.

herf

5. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Ok I remember the one in the Trash Warrens, it had a bunch of cranium rats. I thought I found another one in the Catacombs but I can't remember where. Maybe having cranium rat tails is the key for the one in the Trash Warrens.

6. Extremist Gems: 31/31

In catacombs there are two portals.

1. Portal to Silent King - you must get Stale Mary to tell you the key.

2. Portal to Lothar's place - you must get Lothar to activate it.

About that Trash Warrens portal, yes, the key is something of rats - maybe tail, maybe a charm. Doesn't matter because you will have it in inventory after looting the whole area.

Anyway, there's one curiosity. In the Burried Village was supposed to be a woman named Sheryl. She would ask you to find her father. Resolving this quest would get you an info of the secret chamber portal and keys to it (Candlestick to enter and Purse to exit). This ain't a bug - this is one of many things in this game BI left unfinished.
    A tip: use text editor and put "Sheryl" to search in DIALOG.TLK file to see what was supposed to talk with her, never activated in the game.

7. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Lothar's place? Refresh my memory, who was he?

And the key to the trash warrens portal is a cranium rat tail, not a rat tail charm.

8. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Lothar? The skull collector.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.