1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Will electronic gaming ever conquer the world of sports?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Death Rabbit, Jul 7, 2003.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Check it out...we're not dorks after all!! :D

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/07/06/college.gamers.ap/index.html

An interesting study, which brings me to a discussion I've been wanting to start for awhile.

As computer gaming becomes more and more common, do you think there will ever come a point where gaming (or at least electronic competition in some form) is THE thing to do? Do you think that electronic gaming will ever replace sports as national passtimes?

I know it sounds goofy today, but when you think of the rate at which electronic technology is developing, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the sports we cherish today end up going the way of the dodo in favor of more visually stunning electronic experiences where it takes brains over brawn to win. Society evolves to suit its interests, and that certainly includes entertainment.

Thoughts?

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 19 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Will electronic gaming ever conquer the world of sports? (19 votes.)

Will electronic gaming ever conquer the world of sports? (Choose 1)
    * Yes. Eventually, technology will make physical sports obsolete. It's inevitable. - 5% (1)
    * No way. Clicking buttons will never replace blood, guts and glory! - 53% (10)
    * We'll have both, though eventually I think they'll be equally popular. - 42% (8)

2. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

Interesting question.

Personally, I believe that while neither will go the way of the dodo, at some point a hybrid form of electronic/athletic gaming will become the dominant form of entertainment for many people. However, as much as I am looking forward to it, the cost-effectiveness problem is still a long way from being solved.

my two cents.

3. Nocturnal Nomad Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I agree. With the visually stunning electronic experiences you were talking about and the ability to make people "feel" the action in a game, by using electric pulses or something like that, the sports we play nowadays will become less popular and eventually stop.

4. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Mankind has been competing in sports ever since... the beginning i suppose. Nothing will ever replace that. Besides, international happenings like the Olympics, is the one and only thing that brings people of different nations closer together, be it for a brief moment.

5. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @ Pac Man

My point wasn't that people will stop playing sports in favor of staying home in front of a computer. My theory is that eventually, the competition will move from a grassy field in a stadium to an electronic medium that is mass broadcast. That with the advent and evolution of electronic technology, actually getting physically fit to compete in such games will eventually become obsolete. The competition will still be there, just in a different form.

Your point about the Olympics bringing everyone together is an interesting one. To wit, it can be said that that's precisely what makes the internet so great. If the competitions are mass broadcast and done in this new digital format, it would potentially enable more nations to participate, more athletes to compete, and a much wider audience to enjoy it, theoretically.

6. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    There's a visceral satisfaction to physical activity that no amount of intellectual stimulation can provide. I remember very clearly several episodes from college where my academic workload was very heavy. After several weeks of nothing but classes and homework, I'd find myself sleeping less and less but being more and more tired and unable to concentrate. The only cure for it was to take a night off from studying and spend several hours at the fencing club, sweating my butt off. After that, it was easier to stay in an academic groove.

I've observed the same thing as the mom of a toddler: lack of active play makes for a child who can't focus or listen, no matter how much he loves the sedentary activity before him.

Why must either extreme dominate? Life is generally more enjoyable when it's a conglomeration of many choices.

7. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I totally agree with Rallymama.

During my busy season when I work 65+ hours a week for 13 weeks I get in to a rut in which I'm doing nothing but working, eating, and sleeping. It drains my energy like nothing else can. The only surefire cure is to get to the gym and spend some time chasing after a little blue ball in the racquetball court.

I have also noticed that with my son (age 7) that at the end of a school day his body has a craving for physical activity. If the school was smart they would move gym/recess to a point in the day where the kids are reaching an intellectual low.

8. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Yep, I agree. The human body and mind needs sports. It needs excersise of some kind. Anyway playing a sport on a computer or what ever is nothing like actully playing it, and this will never change no matter how good technology gets IMO. The feeling of playing hockey in pouring rain, not been able to see the ball when it's a few metres in front of you; or doing archery in wonderful fine weather, with the sun shinning in your eyes, and fantails flying above your head; or running through thick muddy forest, playing paint ball. A computer would never, no matter how smart computers get, be able to creat the same atmosphere as actully playing the sport.

9. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Part of the problem I see with gaming becoming as popular as sports is that sports, in addition to being participatory, generally also have some sort of spectator appeal. I just don't see gaming as having much potential as a spectator activity; I, for one, would much rather be playing a game myself rather that spending any significant time watching someone else play. And unlike sports, if I am at home, it is very easy for me to just go into the next room, turn on the computer, and start playing.

And I certainly hope that gaming doesn't surpass sports. As a society, we are in the worst physical condition that we have ever been, and as much as I hate to admit it, games are part of the reason for that.

10. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    In addition to the spectator element of sports, there's a social element. Velcro and I met on a bike ride - he had joined the club to get back into dating following his divorce, and I was actually dating a different member at the time. We've made some great friends through cycling.

While watching the Tour de France coverage, I heard an interesting anecdote from Phil Liggett. He told the story of trying to interview Irish racer Sean Kelly but being unable to get him to talk on camera. However, when they put him on a bike, added a mic, and followed along with a camera on a motorcycle, he wouldn't shut up. :) Try that with a computer game! :roll:

11. Cross Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I hate to be the one raining on everyone's parade, but here goes...

I believe that actual physical sports will never be replaced by "virtual" sports, but for an entirely different reason than those posted above. While doing sports might make the performer feel better, more focused, etc., those watching sports will be interested for an entirely different reason.

I admit to being a rather cynical person, but my take on things is as follows: People will want to see physical sports, not for aestethic purposes, but because that's how you get to see blood. People are no different today than they were in ancient Rome; they want blood, death and suffering, preferrably so close they can smell it. The "voyeur instinct" is strong in humans, and the world is chock full of people getting off on death and misery. Anyone who belives me wrong need only take a close look at the audience at a boxing match.

Therefore, I put forth the theory that when it comes to watching someone get badly hurt, people will always, always want the real thing. The romantic in me sincerely wish it wasn't that way, but the cynic in me knows that it is.

12. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

It already has. Well, in South Korea at least. The players there are worshipped like pop stars. Weird.

13. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Umm...hasn't electronic gaming already beaten sports?

If you mean on TV, then no.

But as far as time spent by members, video games won a long time ago. By a landslide as a matter of fact.

14. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

There is much more to it than that.
    I would say I spend more time on the computer than playing sports but then I would place sports way above computer games any day.

15. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Well, I like comp gaming a heck more than sports, honestly. Running around like crazy just sucks big time.

My 2 cents.

16. Rotku

But then sitting in front of the computer all day can cause many different medical problems which sports cannot. Just been inactive all day can lead to major health problems later in life.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.