1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Who would you save?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by shadow lurker, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Ah, if it does help ease ones guilt, then prehaps they might do it. Thank you Iku-Turso - I stand corrected :)

2. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I didn't really argue to the contrary -- I said that the question suggests -- implies, has the subtext of -- that it's perfectly okay to discard one person's life in favor of someone else's. I don't think the answer is necessarily heartless; it's the question that is.

Of course, it's rare situation in which all things will be equal, making this question, I think, in fact pretty moot.

3. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

The question isn't really heartless. It's just asking what you would do given the choice. It's not implying that human life is okay to discard, it's simply stating that there will be a concequence to the choice you make and that is that somebody will die.

Now one life saved is better than no lives saved and the question is stating that you have the chance to 'save' A life. Not to kill one of two people.

4. Dengo Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

I don't think I could save anyone with such a panic but I voted for the one i like. If i dislike someone then it means probably he harmed me or someone else so i wouldn't worry too much if he dies.

5. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Abomination -- I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree, but I think the question is a fairly moot one, considering that A) you won't ever get into the exact conditions the OP has posited and B) it seems really blithe with the idea of a human life. In a real situation, I would probably be treating the whole thing with a lot more gravity and concern beyond "who likes me and who I like".

6. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Neither.

7. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Sure I may not like them, but I must do all in my power to save them anyway. I'd do everything in my power to save both, even if I died in the process...

Edit: In a life or death situation, there is no place for petty likes and dislikes...

8. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

It's a hypothetical question ;)
    Not meant to pose a likely (or even possible) situation, but a situation based on a series of assumptions, designed to make you think.

But otherwise, I agree :)

9. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

As absurd as this may sound (seeing as I was the one who created this thread...-_-;; ) I personally would have a hard time deciding what to do. Perhaps because this situation was presented in a TV show and I was told by my friend what course of action was taken by the protagonist before I had had time to decide what I would have done. I think my instinct would be to save the person I liked, but with the consequence of a guilty conscience no matter who I chose to save, I don't think I'd be able to choose in time.

SPOLIER...! (Can't think of anything else to call this...basically what the guy in the TV show did...)

In the TV show, the guy saved the girl he didn't like, then jumped into the fire to die with the girl he liked.
    Interesting, ne?

Edit: But then it *is* TV afterall... :rolleyes:

10. Yulaw9460 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran

Media:
    Is it okay just to save my own ass? If the two people I can potentially save are in a burning house or something, that is? I´ll just run like hell and girls be damned!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.