1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Who Is The Most Despised BG Enemy?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Biffle Chump, Jul 16, 2005.

1. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

I can't see why everyone so despises Xvarts - they're too easily dispatched to be truly annoying. And I agree with whoever said that Tasloi are worse: ok, Xvarts are sort-of annoying, but at least they have some character (and have some comic value: Nexlit, anyone?). Tasloi are simply dull. And Sirines are a pain with their constant Dire Charm-ing of party members.

Not that I would hold competence against an enemy, mind you. They're there to kill you, after all. For me (and I seem to be unique in this), the worst enemies are slimes, because the concept is crap. I mean come on, you get slime in your bathroom (well, you do if you live in a house of 4 20-something guys like me), it's not even vaguely cool or scary. How do you really "kill" a slime with any weapon, even a sword or hammer? How come they can hurl infinite amounts of globby crap at you without diminishing in size? And let's not forget that if you hadn't installed TotSC, those bits would follow you at less than walking pace around the whole damn map, potentially for hours on end. Mustard Jellies are the only ones anyone remembers, largely due to being worth 2000 XP (and are the sole redeeming feature of the monster type, because they can actually do you some hefty damage). They're definitely the least sensible monster type in the game.

But all this pales into insignificance compared with some of the monsters in Diablo II: anyone remember imps? *shudders* They didn't do you any damage. They couldn't take any hits. But they just kept running away at exactly the right times to drag you round half the map. And there were always loads of them. They could teleport too, IIRC. And their fireballs looked more like orange sperm missiles.

But BG is obviously much better than DII anyway, so meh.

2. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Kobolds. I hate them

3. Biffle Chump Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Too much info on the Imp's missle type, Magsey.

The reason I hate Xvarts is because I imagine them in my mind. They're these little blue freaks, with golden ridges instead of hair. Not only that, but they're arrogant bastards, who think that they can rush a group of adventurers. And they live in the caves around the Gnoll Stronghold! Not even in the building! They're monsters that must be eliminated!

And why do they have the Tome of Charisma!?! They're hideous, grotesque features would rub off on the onlookers, making the Tome useless!

No, Xvarts are evil abominations, bear-worshipping bastards, hidden-crystal-revering rectophiles that must be wiped out!

4. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Rectophiles? Where did that come from? :confused:

5. Biffle Chump Gems: 5/31

The fact that I've only seen one gender for a Xvart.

6. Felinoid

... or kobolds, or sirines (though that's explained), or goblins, or ogres/half-ogres/ogre-mages/ogrillons, or bandits (no female bandits?!), or hobgoblins, or ... etc. Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they don't exist. It just means they don't attack you.

7. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Ewww... A female Xvart, imagine the uglyness, Damn I hate them because one actualy killed my level one wizard with 4 hp so I was really pissed that a child of bhaal who will eventualy kick so much ass be slaughter by a little blue thing.

8. Biffle Chump Gems: 5/31

There are no female Xvarts! Xvarts kidnap halfling children and use them in there grotestque mating rituals.

9. Felinoid

Again, I have to ask. Where is this coming from?

10. Biffle Chump Gems: 5/31

They've had it coming for a long time, and you know it.

11. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    What about dwarves then!!! If you can't possibly tell the difference, it doesn't mean there are no females... :bang:

12. Felinoid

@Biffle Chump:
    No, I mean where are you getting this story about kidnapping halflings?

13. Ruddiger Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Skeleton warriors, because they're fricking impossible to kill! And dopplegangers because I just hate them.

14. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Xvarts are the BG1 equivalent to Smurfs, hence the 'no females'. What do you people have against the Smurfs anywho?

Dwarves, well, depends on who you read. I like Terry Pratchett's dealing with all dwarves have beards, quaff ale, love gold, eat rats and are very private.

15. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Nonsense there is A female smurf... at least one! :banana:

16. Biffle Chump Gems: 5/31

@Felinoid: My hatred towards them grants me power. Power to see all that it is they are and that they do. Had you my power you would shudder greatly and repeatedly at the pervosities that are the Xvart culture. Be thankful you do not.

P.S.: It was a joke.

@Caradhras: You can tell the difference between Dwarves. It's just a little harder. When a dwarf is naked, it's gender is clearly visible. Not so with Xvarts.

17. Felinoid

@Biffle:
    Next time, try an emoticon. ;) :D :grin: :shake: :roll: :rolling: :spin: :xx:

18. Biffle Chump Gems: 5/31

My personal favorite is the dancing banana.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

[Stick to the topic please - BTA]

[ July 21, 2005, 00:50: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

19. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Who, incidentally, used to be a male Smurf. :grin:

20. Felinoid

Smurfette used to be male? :jawdrop: If that's true, then the Xvarts might be able to change sex too, then mate and conceive normally.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.