1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Who built Stonehenge?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Jaguar, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Who really built Stonehenge?

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 66 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Who built Stonehenge? (66 votes.)

Who built Stonehenge? (Choose 1)
    * Aliens - 8% (5)
    * Druids - 35% (23)
    * Egyptians - 0% (0)
    * Greeks - 0% (0)
    * Leprechauns - 2% (1)
    * Phoenicians - People from an ancient maritime country at eastern end of the Mediterranean - 2% (1)
    * Picts - A race of people of uncertain origin, who inhabited Scotland in early times. - 14% (9)
    * Stonehenge was just a Lego set for giants - 14% (9)
    * No one will ever know - 11% (7)
    * Other - 17% (11)

2. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Jan des Bouvries. :D

3. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Why not throw in pyramid and the easter island head statue thingy altogether?

(my english and memory are not good) Isn't there a rule like when in doubt look for the simplest explanation? You guys can construct every posssibility that these were built by human. i cannot see how these are simpler explanation than aliens.

4. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

Ockam's Razor, isn't it? I'm not quite sure of the spelling.

5. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Do you mean Occam's Razor?

I thought that all of the choices were perfectly logical. Well, as far as my logic goes anyways. :D

6. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    The guys before Celts, it's not clear what exactly they were. Something close to Iberian autochtones, but it's not like anything is sure about them. The assumption in work here is that Stonehenge is too old to be Celtic.

7. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Did you know that Atlantis was supposed to be beneath the Irish sea? It's true. That's why nobody is allowed to do a survey of the ocean floor.

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Takara, what exactly is your definition of the word 'true'? :confused:

9. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Yeah, this one hasn't been figured out yet. Could've been a bunch of pre-historic treehuggers. Druids.

Either way, I pretty much accept that they were star-watchers. Which is most intelligentous. Spherical geometery and mechanical engineering and all that.

10. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

It was an American, because EVERYTHING of significance, grandeur, and mysterious importance in this world was built by Americans.

:grin:

11. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    @harbourboy
    True: Anything heard in rumour, speculation, one's opinion, on a website, found in a turnip patch, or occasionally a fact.

12. Wiegraf Folles Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

couldnt have been druids, it was built before they even existed. it was built by the people who lived around Salisbury Plain in England

13. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    Bob the Builder of course, everyone knows that.

14. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Them aliens did it, not the ones with the anal probes though.

15. people person-i eat people Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

OK guys we can get into a HUGE! debate about this, but it is really impossible to say who exactly did it, it is like one of those mysteries of life (but it is very interesting to research and ponder) but i have to disagree with Erebus about the aliens idea :toofar:

16. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I think I should start adding smilies when I'm being sarcastic or something of the such.

17. people person-i eat people Gems: 5/31

i know you were being sarcastic Erebus, sorry for not implying that, but i just think went a bit far with the anal probes... put me off my easter chocolate is all (yes i know you said the ones without the anal probes, but the mentioning of them just.....isnt good) just my opinion

18. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Elvis Presley

19. Ahrontil Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Stonehenge is only strange and unique because the stones used in its construction were too large for people to plunder and use in their own buildings.

The robbing out of henges and carns to obtain building materials was still widespread in the 50s in Ireland. Mechanical diggers have only served to accelerate the process. In 2002 a four foot high stone thought to have been a bronze age monument was taken from a field in Northern Ireland. There is speculation that it may have been wanted for a collector's garden ornament. This is only one example of the currently ongoing and unreported destruction of monuments all over the country. I'm assuming that the fate of southern England's monuments has been no different, and that many of smaller, older henges that preceded Stonghenge have been recycled, thereby removing it from its commonplace context.

Since Stonehenge is only important because all the other henges have been used for landfill, the question isn't so much 'Who built it?' but rather 'Who will dismantle it, shunt it into a folk park out of the way and allow that flat building land with good road access to be profitably utilised?'

20. people person-i eat people Gems: 5/31

good point Bluin, i reckon we should make use of the land instead of leaving a bunch of pointless rocks there

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.