1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Which NPC would you most like to beat down? (ELIP poll)

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Felinoid, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

This may need some explaining.

The first question is pretty straight-forward, and is what the poll is named after. If you select "Another mod NPC", you can post as to which one it is. (I only mentioned the seven I'm most familiar with.)

The second question is in regard to this mod suggestion, and how it should proceed. If you don't have an opinion, or simply don't care, just select "Don't know / don't care".

NOTE: Suggestions on how the mod should proceed (how many NPCs at a time) are fine, but suggestions for additions or modification to the mod should be posted in the mod suggestion thread to keep things in one place. Thank you.

[ August 23, 2005, 17:08: Message edited by: Felinoid ]

Poll Information
    This poll contains 2 question(s). 40 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Which NPC would you most like to beat down? (ELIP poll) (40 votes.)

Which NPC would you most like to beat down? (Choose 1)
    * Aerie - 7% (3)
    * Anomen - 30% (12)
    * Cernd - 3% (1)
    * Edwin - 5% (2)
    * Haer'Dalis - 10% (4)
    * Imoen - 7% (3)
    * Jaheira - 3% (1)
    * Jan - 3% (1)
    * Keldorn - 3% (1)
    * Korgan - 3% (1)
    * Mazzy - 0% (0)
    * Minsc - 3% (1)
    * Nalia - 15% (6)
    * Sarevok (ToB) - 0% (0)
    * Valygar - 0% (0)
    * Viconia - 0% (0)
    * Yoshimo - 5% (2)
    * Alora (mod) - 0% (0)
    * Chloe (mod) - 0% (0)
    * Kelsey (mod) - 0% (0)
    * Keto (mod) - 0% (0)
    * Kivan (mod) - 0% (0)
    * Solaufein (mod) - 0% (0)
    * Valen (mod) - 3% (1)
    * Another mod NPC - 3% (1)

How do you think the ELIP mod should proceed? (Choose 1)
    * One NPC at a time - 7% (3)
    * A small group of NPCs at a time - 28% (11)
    * ALL of the Bioware NPCs in the first version, with mod NPCs added later - 38% (15)
    * This sounds like a terrible idea - 3% (1)
    * Don't know / don't care - 25% (10)

2. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Well...

First off...if this is a evil flirt pack, then the NPC I'd like to "beat down" would be Minsc, then Anomen, then Nalia...in that order.

As for the second question, I think that all BioWare NPCs should be in the first release, then additional mod NPCs should be added in future releases. :rolling:

3. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

First Anomen, then HD,then Nalia, then Jaheira, then...
    I'm so evil

4. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

I put down Yoshimo, for storyline reasons only. I don't really dislike any of the NPCs.

5. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Anomen and perhaps Yoshimo.

For your mod, I think that a relationship doesent neccessarly have to end because you slap the person. If the person is a wimp, like Imoen or Anomen, you should be able to continue the relationship, but it should change a bit. I guess you could compare it to a pimp and his b!tches, but it should probably e little bit different from that.

6. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Keldorn because of his holier-than-thou attitude and hypocrisy -Anomen and HD were tempting.
    It would be very nice to be able to slap Chloe around every time she opens her big mouth. :mad:

@Felinoid: check this thread!

7. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

My reasoning is a bit different than others. I picked Anomen first, not because he's a pompous, self-righteous git, but he'd probably respond to a 'dominatrix' as well as 'a girl next door'. :evil:

For arguements sake, Korgan and then Viconia. Like Fel mentioned, Korgan picks on elves and why not stand up for your race! Viconia needs a strong guy who's not afraid to give as good as he gets.

If it's about b*tching back at whiny NPCs, I'll go with Nalia, Aerie, Edwin and Anomen. Just once, I'd like to tell any of them to STFU.

8. Felinoid

I picked Edwin because he is just such an arrogant pr*ck. "No mumbling! *whack* If you're going to plot, do it out loud so I can kill you for it." :evil:

@Bahir the Red:
    While I'm well aware that it doesn't necessarily mean the end of a relationship if you slap your partner, you may notice by my 'gods striking you down' bit in the mod thread that I am somewhat unreasonably opposed ( :o ) to anything that so much as resembles domestic violence. Consider it a personal opinion. It would also take considerably more coding to put in a branch romance based on power and control, and at this stage I think we should try to make the modders' jobs as easy as possible. :)

@kuemper:
    :eek: You kinky little thing, you. Perhaps you could mention playful (either fake or wanted) hitting to the makers of the original Flirt Pack. It might fit in better there. :D

9. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

You mean how an Evil NPC should react to/control other NPCs without having to constantly mother them. The game does have a severe lack of evil put downs.

The most annoying goody-two-shoes who really needs to be bitch slapped is Nalia.

Aerie - PC scares Aerie into sticking with him/her.
    Keldorn, Mazzy - They get pissed with the PC and leave.
    Minsc - Keep insulting his intelligence by taking him along the evil path.
    Nalia - Murder a beggar she gives alms to. Scare her into staying by your side and take over her lands (regardless of Class).

It will take a lot to release content for all the Bioware NPCs (not to forget mod NPCs) at once. Best relese the pack for 3-4 NPCs at a time. Go along alignment, from LG - CE.

10. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

@Fel - :grr: I don't mean in a *sexual* manner. I meant someone more along the lines of powerful and not being a whimpy pushover. I got pretty sick of pandering to his 'better-than-you-peons' attitude and barely made it through the first romance with him.

Anomen: Bah, some of these aren't worth cleaning my weapons after the battle!

Me: <sarcasm> Oh yes, I know what you mean. I hate having to kill mindless kobold minions pounding on my magi while you're standing here b*tching. </sarcasm> Now move your sorry butt!

11. Felinoid

@kuemper:
    Yeah, it'd be nice to put the monkey in his place every once in a while. :grin: That'd probably require a branch romance too, though. :hmm: That gives me an idea; I'll PM you on the details.

12. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

What does "beat down" even mean? Is it the same as "beat up" or "hit until they are senseless" or does it mean something completely different?

13. Felinoid

@HB:
    I consider it to be a little broader than that. For me, it encompasses anything you can do to make them feel bad (i.e. down) or get back at them for something. That includes insults, threats, minor or major physical abuse, and even beating them within an inch of their lives. :evil:

14. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Jan!

Never used him, never will.

15. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

No way Tas. I'd always take him, even if just for his Ano and Flesh Golem stories. :lol:

16. Kulyok Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Is it going to be a PG-13 mod (minor abuse, threats, throwing stones, et cetera), or R mod (torture, rape, graphic violence, elaborate insults, homosexual abuse, other levels of perversion)?

Also, is it going to be stat-dependant? For example, if PC with 16 str wants to beat Aerie up, he will probably achieve desired result, but with Korgan or Minsc, probably not.

And what about other NPC's reactions? Will it be possible to abuse a companion in the presence of others, or drag him/her to a secluded corner?

17. Felinoid

@Kulyok:
    :sick: Definitely PG-13, though elaborate insults would be allowed, and the violence would be semi-graphic. Torture, rape, and "other levels of perversion" would require way too much text (not to mention being a bit too much for almost any party member to watch in silence). After all, how much can you explain before the description turns into a novel?

Strength doesn't necessarily mean power (e.g. mages) but perhaps some of the more physically violent choices might require high STR, while the more inventive insults might require high INT, expert button-pushing might require high WIS, and so on. It's up to the modders what to implement though, and v1.0 should probably be made as easy as possible to help ensure that it gets made. :D

Other NPC reactions would be minimal. If they speak up, they risk putting themselves in the line of fire. Ruling by threat of violence can be quite effective at getting silence in the short run.

18. Western Paladin Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Maybe the mod should introduce a variable or counter that broadly measures the party's consternation at being, well, ruled by fear. It could increase by different amounts whenever you abuse someone depending on the severity of the abuse. Once it reaches a certain value, one or more party members has a chance of rebelling and attacking you. Make sense? :confused:

19. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Who to pick, who to pick...

Aerie. Oh, and Anomen. Cernd! Jan, too. But what about Hear' Dalis? He needs to be slapped too. As for mod npcs, I'd say Cloe, except that I seriously doubt I'll ever use her again.

I'd suggest 3-4 characters at a time. One character would seem pointless, and if it was all the Bioware NPCs at once, it'd never get done.

I like the idea of some stat based things. Maybe if that your character has too low of a stat on an attempt, it could backfire and the target gets one on you? Also, differant levels of beat downs would be good, so it's not all or nothing.

20. Kulyok Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

The problem here is that the normal reaction for most NPCs would be walk away and leave the party leader who does these things, which takes away all possible fun. Or worse, it may be like in Imoen Romance, where every attempt at abusing/beating Imoen was ending in her pushing back, and strongly so; even killing PC, if I remember correctly.

So, I think some ways need to be found to prevent this. For example, a mage PC may lay Memory Charms on her victims, or place a Geas upon the companion to prevent their escape. Also, a hostage theme is interesting; for example, PC may threaten Aerie he'll kill Quayle, should she refuse to do (insert actions here), or tell Nalia, that unless she does this and that, he will not go and save her father in the Keep (or indeed, kill him).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.