1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Which is a greater evil to children?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by teekc, Apr 8, 2004.

1. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Suddenly i thought of the good times i had during childhood. We play with industrial waste (buring plastic bags and see the dripping flames, wielding light tubes as light sabres and such). We don't need fancy toys to have lots of fun. It was in that time that friends are truely friends. If i lost a game or something, i would go home plotting my revenge for the next day. But everything was forgotten the next time we met. We started afresh and everyone is happy again. Then it came to me, which of the following is a greater evil to children?

-- my 700th post

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 74 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Which is a greater evil to children (74 votes.)

Which is a greater evil to children (Choose 1)
    * growing up - 39% (29)
    * micheal jackson - 61% (45)

2. Lady Luthien Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Silly poll, but the question is very true...
    I've voted Jackson but now I come to think of it... Yeah, growing up is a shame..
    Not to say I'm a crumbling old relic but sometimes, I really, really wish we all could go back... sniff :(

/end of melancholy mood/
    --congrats on your 700 posts, I hope I'll join you soon (yay: 101st!) ;)

3. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

micheal jackson is EVIL
    I hope that someday, I'll grow up :D

4. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I had to vote for growing up. This morning Mrs. Snook finally told little snook (8 years old) that he is getting to big to stand on her legs and bounce. It took a good half hour for them to both stop crying.

5. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Growing up itself isn't so bad. It's the things other people expect from you once you're an adult that suck. Or better... the things they don't expect you to do. :D

6. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    Michael Jackson is an evil perv :mad:

7. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

I feel so old now. Well, at least I know that Splunge will always be older. ;) :p

8. Wiegraf Folles Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

who are in the 10% that said growing up. give me their addresses, i'll kill them

9. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    ...like playing video games? :D

@ Jaguar - damn straight! :p :D

10. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Who ever said that you had to grow up?

11. Oxymore Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Your body grows whether you want to or not, your mind doesn't.

Whenever in doubt, I just listen to my friends and myself speaking staggering amounts of childish BS all day long. :D Hard to imagine we're all over 20. :p

*heroically resists the urge of posting offensive MJ jokes*

12. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Growing up is the worst evil to children in general, as it robs them of their very essence. Childhood. Goodbye innocence.

In this instance, Wackojacko is the lesser of both evils.

Ah to be young and naive again. No worries on your mind. No grasp of how this world is rotten to the very core.

13. The 'good' guy Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I rather grow up, then be taken by Michael Jackson :holy:

14. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Goodbye innocence by growing up? How much innocence do you think a kid would lose by spending time in Neverland? :aaa:

15. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

Growing up claims more innocence that Michael Jackson does. He's one man(?), but almost everyone has to grow up.

16. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

[​IMG] Definitely growing up.
    Everyone does.

Jacko is as said before, just one man and do you really think he's physicaly capable of... that?
    His nose freakin fell off! Dont you think he has something that he values more than his nose? thus giving it even more plastic surgeries.
    ;) :lol:

17. Serpent Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG]
    A very good point, I totally agree!

18. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] I won't grow up.. It sucks! I stay ME! :) I hope...

19. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

And who said you can choose to grow up or not?

No matter how hard to tried to remain young forver, your daily experiences, your socialization with the outside world, your interactions, every little bits of them accumulated. Like it or not, you are being shaped throught these little bits and, ultimately, you lost the innocence.

Sometime ago, there was a post about how a child sees differently than adults. Something like, when an adult sees a drunkard smiling, the adults thinks of a homeless asking for money, but a child would smile back becasue someone smiled at the child. When an adult sees mud, the adult thinks it is dirty, but a child sees material to build castle. (My 16mb memeory tells me that was post by that Chicago father who sometime ago posted another one about SUV choices for his wife)

But anyway, no, there is no choice, you will lost them. Every event is a socialization, your accumulated experiences shape you, you have little choice over who you want to be.

20. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Definitely growing up does more to 'harm' children than Michael. As said a few posts ago, Michael is only one person and can only rob a few children of their innocence at any given time while growing up happens to everyone. As Michael Wincott said in "The Crow" - 'your childhood's over the minute you know you're going to die.'

There's actually not much I can add that hasn't already been said previously but growing and interacting with the world will surely rob every single child of their innocence at some point in their lives. Anyway, brain freeze is preventing me from articulating my thoughts on this adequately so I'll end with this - give me Never Never Land over Neverland any day.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.