1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Which game do I get?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Gnarfflinger, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I got a gift card to EB Games, and can acquire one game.

I'm stuck between Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and Medieval II: Total War.

Please give me your opinions which I should get now, and which one should wait until later in the Spring?

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 14 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Which game do I get? (14 votes.)

Which game do I get? (Choose 1)
    * Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - 43% (6)
    * Medieval II: Total War - 57% (8)

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I haven't played either game, but Medieval II seems to be getting more replay value from people here than Oblivion has.

3. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Can't really advise as my comp can handle neither, but Barmy is absolutely praising Medieval 2. As to HB's comment about the replay value, from some of the posts I've seen about it, I think it's more because Oblivion takes a looooooong time to finish if you do all the sidequests and stuff so very few people have had a chance to replay it :D

4. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I have both. Frankly I think you should purchase Medieval II: Total War, for replay value, sheer fun and modding community.

Oblivion is great too but I've always liked my RPGs to be parties and not one hero vs. the world. Other games worth considering would be World of Warcraft (if you don't value your social life) and Civilization IV (if you don't already have it).

You could always wait though provided your gift card doesn't expire till about June for something more to your tastes.

5. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    MTW2. It's a non-question for me.

6. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I really like Oblivion for the amazing graphics and huge maps. I've just started NWN2 and I really like some of the aspects of it but the camera is kind of annoying. I voted for Oblivion.

7. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

If you're into FPS games you could wait for Unreal Tournament 2007 since the series is reliable and killing an enemy with a smiley faced frag bomb is just so fun.

8. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Medieval II is a brilliant game. I havent played Oblivion but from what I've heard its very repetitive and gets dull. If your really not sure you could borrow them and give them a quick try out. Anyway you won't be dissapointed with Medieval II so I'd get that.

9. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I do actually enjoy Oblivion for its atmosphere and graphics and a lot of other things but I do agree that it can get kind of boring after a while. I might not enjoy it as much if I didn't mingle it with other games that I have.

10. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Oblivion is pretty fun to play through the main plot and the guild quests once - but I don't see there being much replay value beyond that point.

I have not played Medieval II.

11. Killjoy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

They're both very different games with very different things to offer. One is a great strategy sequel, the other is a highly open-ended RPG with first-person action elements.

If you're serious about making an informed purchase, perform your due diligence and read up on the various features and options each one offers. Otherwise, get both as suggested here. They're both great games.

12. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Oblivion and Morrowind are fun for a little while, but as everyone else has mentioned before me, its dull. Get MTW instead.

13. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Oblivion may be dull, but Morrowind certainly isn't. Any game that can steal MY brain from Baldur's Gate...well, that's just damn impressive. :p ;)

Of the two choices, though, I'd say Medieval 2; I've heard a lot of good things about MTW and some bad things about Oblivion (in comparison to its predecessor).

14. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I really agree - the camera movement is annoying. Often times I can't even see through the other characters in the party (which means I also can't move), let alone assorted trees, walls, buildings, etc....

15. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Despite a close vote, I am pleased to announce that Medieval II was declared the winner Yesterday about 3 pm. I got it home, and when the Hockey tournaments have run their course, my assimilation shall be complete.

16. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I recently tried the demo of Medieval II and couldn't really get into it. I think it boils down to what type of game you enjoy. I don't really like RTS's much, so I'd choose Oblivion.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.