1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: What Religion Do You Follow?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Two questions - one in which you were born into, and one which you currently practice.

First I must apologize to all of the non-Christians on the site, as I have subdivided Christianity into multiple sub-sets, whereas the other major religions are left as broad groupings. I realize this is somewhat inaccurate, as for example, there are many different denominations of Judaism, but I have lumped them together as one group. I apologize for this, but I am not informed enough about the sub-groups to accurately subdivide them.

If you want to specify exactly what your religious affiliation is, if you feel the broader groupings do not do your affiliation justice, feel free to reply. Keep in mind that the operative phrase is "most closely affiliated with". (For example, say you're Methodist - there is no "Methodist" as a choice, so the one you are most closely affiliated with is "Protestant".)

Poll Information
    This poll contains 2 question(s). 62 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: What Religion Do You Follow? (62 votes.)

Which category most closely defines your religious affiliation? (Choose 1)
    * Islam - 2% (1)
    * Judaism - 3% (2)
    * Hinduism - 2% (1)
    * Buddhism - 3% (2)
    * Catholicism - 8% (5)
    * Protestant - 11% (7)
    * Mormon/Latter-Day Saints - 2% (1)
    * Non-Denominational Christian - 8% (5)
    * Spiritual, but not religious - 18% (11)
    * Agnosticism - 11% (7)
    * Atheism - 32% (20)

Which category most closely defines the religious affiliation of your childhood? (Choose 1)
    * Islam - 5% (3)
    * Judaism - 3% (2)
    * Hinduism - 2% (1)
    * Buddhism - 2% (1)
    * Catholicism - 16% (10)
    * Protestant - 31% (19)
    * Mormon/Latter-Day Saints - 3% (2)
    * Non-Denominational Christian - 6% (4)
    * Spiritual, but not religious - 10% (6)
    * Agnosticism - 8% (5)
    * Atheism - 15% (9)

2. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Born as a Catholic. Now I'm atheist.

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    How strange - I never really thought people would be "born into" agnosticism. I mean, I can see if you parents didn't believe in God that you probably wouldn't either as a child (i.e., atheism), but I do not really see how agnosticism really applies. That requires a reasoned and informed decision (unlike atheism which would be the default unless you were taught otherwise) that you probably do not possess in your younger days. I would be interested in the explanation from the one who answered agnisticism in their youth - if they don't mind explaining of course.

4. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

My parents are Anglican, and I was baptised as one. They weren't too serious about it though, and I dismissed it. At about age 10 I started attending the nearby Baptist church at a friend's prompting, and was a devout Christian until I was 15. Then, for some reason I'm not entirely sure of, I stopped.

For about two years I was apathetic about religion, but it's really only over the last two years (being almost nineteen) that I've become more seriously agnostic. I was almost in Thailand over Christmas, in a hotel that now doesn't exist, but didn't go purely by chance. Then my sister nearly blew up the house by leaving the gas on to cook pasta without lighting it, and returning five minutes later with the intention of cooking. She describes a spontaneous decision to leave the room, saving the lives of both myself and her (I turned off the gas for her). More recently I've been feeling as though something's watching over me. I'm agnostic, but a rather shaken one.

5. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I believe in myself and that's enough for me.

6. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I was raised Protestant, and still am Protestant.

That's why it's the church for me!

7. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    ...et unam, sanctam, catholicam et apostolicam Ecclesiam...

8. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

Born as a christian orthodox, atheist now.

9. Darkthrone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Catholic Atheist here, of course.

10. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Which option corresponds most closely to Anglican then? I'm sure that was what I was born into. Now I wish I was a Jedi Knight, which is one of the most popular religions in New Zealand, judging by what people have been putting on their census forms.

11. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Hmm... I suppose I'm athiest, and have always been.

Religion is for the gullible :p . Nah, it's just not for me.

12. Arendil Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

...the one, and the holy, Catholic Church...in the past, in the present, and in the future...Amen.

13. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

No Muslims or Hindus on these board so far. Tal is obviously missing out on a HUGE untapped audience.

14. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    @HB - If you're Anglican, that's Protestant.

15. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I was baptised Roman Catholic, but I certainly do not follow that religion, or any other religion for that matter. All religions are complete rubbish as far as I am concerned, but that doesn't mean I don't believe in what you call God. I am a very spiritual person, very aware.

16. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I was born into an Anglo-Catholic family. I too had a slight problem with that one. Anglo-Catholics consider themselves catholic but not Roman. Usually it gets put under protestant. There are also Orthodox, Greek and Old Catholics.

17. Harbourboy

Sarevok - come on, tell us what you really think. Stop sitting on the fence.

As for all these different sects of Christianity - I get so confused as to what the differences are between them - although I think have finally figured what the deal is with Catholicism, I'm not sure how the rest fit in, other than that they don't like the pope.

18. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I don't follow any established organised religion. I do applaud its capability for mass mind control however.

19. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I was born as Evangelic Lutheranian, that is the one and only original protestant church :p . I'm still a member of that church but I would say that I'm an agnostic at the time being.

20. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Born Catholic, now agnostic. The only time I go to church is on Father's Day, as a favor to my very religious dad. I still end up spending half the service rolling my eyes, and last time they said something so unintentionally funny, I could barely restrain myself from laughing out loud.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.