1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: What kind of books do you read?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Dice, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Sorry if this topic has been done before. I haven't seen such a thread but I'd be surprised if it wasn't done.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 34 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: What kind of book do you read? (34 votes.)

What kind of book do you read? (Choose 10)
    * Fantasy - 85% (29)
    * Sci Fi - 62% (21)
    * Romance - 9% (3)
    * True Crime - 6% (2)
    * Biography - 24% (8)
    * General Fiction - 53% (18)
    * Non Fiction - 50% (17)
    * Action / Thriller - 35% (12)
    * Mystery - 38% (13)
    * Other - 35% (12)

2. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Fantasy, romance, biography, general fictionn, non-fiction and action/thriller,a s wella s "other" for hustorical fiction for me. Lost the love of scifi I used to have somewhere along the line...

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Usually fantasy, but also some non-fiction, and books about how to raise kids (because I need all the help I can get)

4. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

The categories are bit jumbled, aren't they? I mean, any true crime books and biographies, if they're true, go under non-fiction. But I guess the genres are big enough.

To be honest, I've found that I don't read nearly anything except general fiction or other. Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Romance, Action, Mystery -- or at least typical books of the genre -- don't really resonate with me. I've never been interested enough True Crime and Biography to read extensively on it. So mostly "general" fiction, if there is such a thing.

5. Dice

Media:
    @ Oaz - I worked at a book store at one time in my life. True crime and Biographies could be considered non-fiction however there are often slight changes to the stories to make them a little more interesting to the reader. But as far as the catagories go I just chose them because those are some of the sections that you find in bookstores and libraries.

I just realized that I left out the horror genre, which is kind of funny because I've been reading quite a bit of horror lately.

6. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Fantasy, sci-fi, and 'general fiction' (though that's a bit broad - I have pretty specific tastes when it comes to that).

I find myself reading more science fiction than fantasy these days - the fantasy genre feels a bit stale (though I'm sure there are plenty of great places I haven't poked yet ... reading blurbs in the bookshop though makes them all sound pretty much the same...)

7. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Fantasy (FR stuff, Neil Gaiman, etc.), Historical Fiction (Shogun, Gates of Fire, etc.), Mystery (Agatha Christie) and Thrillers (Colin Forbes, etc.).

8. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Fantasy, Sci-Fi, General Fiction mostly.
    Some non-Fiction and Mystery (Judge Dee anyone?).

I have been reading less Sci-Fi and Fantasy in recent years and more high end "General Fiction" (Hemingway, Vonnegut, etc.).

9. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    SF, fantasy, biology, philosophology and a little bit of philosophy.

I'd have to really start reading some biology soon and kick-start my think-engine on that again.

I have a whole lot of books that I ahould start reading, but I can't seem to get around to.

But I consider that it isn't necessary to take rush with reading. But the increasing pile of books I'm going to read eventually encourages to read a little faster, since I can't wait to get my hands on some particular book.

10. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Usually hysterical...historical romances. I like to reread a lot.

11. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Primarily Fantasy & Sci-Fi, focusing on Dragonlance and Star Trek. Other books as recommended to me by friends and family.

12. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    I've read on occasion some russian literature as well, namely Dostojevski and Aitmatov.

13. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

sci-fi and fantasy. I love Christopher Stashefs books, and Eddings rules as well. I have every book in the Drizzt series and have read them many times.

Other than that, I read Clancy, King, and Koontz. My all time favorite book is The Stand by King.

Dark Rivers of the Heart by Koontz is very good as well.

14. el timtor Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

I read primarily SF and fantasy, liberally sprinkled with military fiction & classic literature, along with an occasional recipe book or two. It's really a matter of what catches my eye when I'm at a library or bookstore.

I don't know where (or if) comics/graphic novels/manga fit in, I read lots of those as well.

15. Dice

Media:
    Oops, graphic novels, another area I missed in the poll. I recently discovered "Frank" by Jim Woodring. I'm not exactly sure it's "reading material" since most of it doesn't have any words but I found the stories themselves very intriguing.

16. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Graphic novels here as well! :D

17. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Ah, if we're counting graphic novels then I also follow Lucifer, Sandman, Hellblazer and Preacher (now finished).

Also interested in Y:The Last Man. Fascinating stuff. You know how every guy at one time or another wants to be "the only guy left on earth so he gets all the girls"? This comic shows what that would be like and it's not really much fun :D

18. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Fantasy mostly, but occasionally some Sci-Fi. Sometimes historical stuff if I'm bored. Oh, and manga. Lots of manga. :D

19. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Fantasy, lately a lot of Australian (Jennifer Fallon, Trudi Canavan etc), graphic novels, sci-fi, some thrillers, when I can get it Manga

20. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    I used to be into Star Wars books, but the prequels kinda killed that. I love fantasy, Raymond E. Feists Magician, R.A Salvatores Crystal shard... all good.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.