1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: What class do you play?

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Falstaff, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

It's a pretty simple question, really - what class do you generally play as?

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 42 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: What class do you play? (42 votes.)

What class do you play? (Choose 1)
    * Fighter - Me Basher, You Deader - 21% (9)
    * Mage - Axes are for sissies, give me a Deathbolt! - 43% (18)
    * Thief - Like a Shadow I am! - 10% (4)
    * I switch between two classes all the time. - 19% (8)
    * I switch between all three classes all the time. - 7% (3)

2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    There's no possibility to become a paladin and scientific research suggests a strong causational relation between this and the fact that I don't play this game :)

Couldn't decide between fighter and mage when I tried.

3. Elendrile Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Thief. When you get a +1 stat bonus each level playing as a thief feels almost like cheating.

4. Falstaff

I love the mage in this game - the spells are NICE, and with the fighter levels you get early on, you can generally stomp your way through the game.

Actually, I was thinking of trying to play LG my next time through - a paladin-type would prove an interesting and challenging game in this little world of deceit and murder. Hmm...

5. Baldrak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

No matter what I try, I usually end up LG. And mostly I become a mage with minor fighter levels...

6. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Almost always fighters. Annah is an excellent thief, FFG with Da'kkon give all the spell power you're going to need.

Vhailor is the only character in the game other than Nameless One that can truly tank and I don't like him much.

Why did you use Annah's instead of TNO's quote for the thieves?

7. Falstaff

@Rastor - Because it's been so long since I have played the game as a thief that I couldn't remember any of his thief lines. That, and it was the first one to come to mind! :grin:

8. L Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

Mainly as a mage, although I have been through it as a fighter on occasion. You don't really need a tank in the game, and both Annah and Dak'kon are perfectly good enough for the job. Morte has the problem of not being able to get teeth good enough to harm some of the tougher monsters (Ingresses and the dragon ones are the only two I've ever found). Besides to get more options for conversation throughout the game, it is nice to have higher INT/WIS/CHA than CON/STR/DEX, favours the mage there, and Dak'kon always levels much slower than TNO.

9. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

being a fighter just feels right with TNO - look at him. Anywqay, he looks pretty good with hammer.

10. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

*possible spoilers*

interesting there's been no PS:T class faq, not that I've seen, esp as the nameless one has such odd multiclassing features. I couldn't imagine not playing a heavily multiclassed N.O., especially with all of the chances to gain experience that are tied to particular classes. but with the extra benefits at 7th and 13th levels, and the special tattoos, it can make a difference which class you 'lead' in.

1) the fighter's skills are the most the most transferable, as the N.O. keeps his best thac0 and number of attacks when multiclassed. the only thing he loses is the ability to use axes, hammers, etc. so it's tempting to gain in other levels to have their abilities. however the fighter has the best HP, and the ability to get weapon mastery is pretty cool, so I think it's best to lead with the fighter at least to level 13. as PS:T doesn't give you ranged combat, fighter skills are pretty great.

2) the mage casts cool spells, and strangely enough can have the best AC with magic items. most of the time, I kept the mage level second behind the fighter; it can be real useful to have your strongman fighter whip out a cloudkill now and then. I took a 13 fighter ?? mage, with grand mastery in dagger (yes using one of the two most powerful weapons in the game) into the last bit with the shadows, and actually cleared the level, where my first time through I just had to do the running around bit. the really high level spells are great, but you never get to use them!! take a look at the animations on the ninth level spells! too bad there's only one battle you can try them out on...

3) the thief seemed like the least important to me. picking pockets is annoying given that whenever you fail, your victim becomes a homicidal maniac. however, given way exp works with levels, gaining lower thief levels can be really really cheap. I think both times I played I ended up with a 9th or 10th level thief, and at the price of one fighter or mage level. stealth can be real useful in the game, and it can be alot of fun to use backstab: my second time tho undersigil (after curst etc), the N.O. took out the boss demon with two backstabs (at like 100 pts of damage each!)

So: while I would suggest gaining levels in everything, I would lead with fighter to level 13 (for the extra attack, etc) and then lead with mage. I'd probably stop with thief at 10th, maximizing stealth. if you are really into being a mage, I would still lead with fighter, except on levels 7 and 13, but I would still bring fighter to 13.

11. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31

I usually play a fighter

12. Platter

Platter Can I buy you a tankard or two, lad? Veteran

What do you mean?
    That's 7th and 12th. And I would say if you're going to play mostly as a Mage, then specialize as a Mage, not a Fighter. Then you get the Mage specialization tattoos, the class-relevant stat boosts, a better bonus from Ravel... it's all worth more IMO...
    If you specialize as a Fighter and then switch to Mage, you cannot use the Fighter specialization tattoos anyway.

[ January 24, 2004, 04:19: Message edited by: Platter ]

13. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

@Platter, Thieves level up the quickest and so gain stat points the quickest.

14. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

So far i am going through the game as a fighter. I don't think i will change class now but in my next gam i think i will try mage

15. Bion Gems: 21/31

My mistake, 7th and 12th levels. Bringing the fighter to 13th is still good for the extra attack.

***major spoilers***

Having run through the game twice, once with a F9/Mx/T10 and once with a F13/Mx/T10 (the first time specializing in mage at 7th and 12th, and the second time specializing in fighter), I simply found the second (figher specialization) to be more powerful (even if you do lose the Ravel exp bonus). First of all, given the close-up view of PS:T, it's hard to keep TNO at range, so melee skills are important. With the fighter specialization, one has more HP, a better THAC0, weapon mastery, and more attacks. Playing even a mid-level mage with the benefit of a bunch of fighter levels was alot of fun, as one could soften up the opposition with a cloudkill and then finish the job with the benefit of fighter HP, THAC0, etc.

In my second time through, I took grand mastery in daggers and punch daggers. You miss out on some cool axes (and TNO looks more convincing with an axe than with a dagger, but you get used to it), but there are some decent punch daggers in the beginning, that one can also use while bumping up the thief levels. As soon as I got Ravel's fingernail, I used daggers exclusively until the end of the game. Once you have your celestial/entropic blade (converted to dagger of course), you are unstopable; try going solo on undersigil or the modron cube, or try clearing out the shadow level and you'll see.

It seems to me that one greatly limits the power of TNO by staying with just one class, tho I could understand doing so for fun. If, for example, your TNO was F3/M9/T0, you could sneeze and gain levels in fighter and thief; I don't have the exp tables here, but I think advancing TNO from M9 to M10 costs around as much as advancing him from T0 to T10. Advancing the mage level gets you what, one HP and a couple spells, while for the same exp you would have 1) a full set of thief skills incl the ever popular backstab, 2) 16+ additional HP (1 HP for levels 1-9, and then d6 plus CON bonus for level 10), and 3) a better THAC0. The argument is even more compelling for fighter levels, as the only benefit you lose when switched to other classes is the ability to use axes, etc. So it seems to me that even if you are looking to specialize in one class, it makes sense to develop the others because you can almost do it for free.

16. GI Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Thief.

I'm a pacifist :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.