1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Vote: Most difficult monster

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Earl Grey, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Here are a number of often talked about monsters. Which of these do you think is most dangerous to battle?
    Why is it so dangerous?

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 107 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Vote: Most difficult monster (107 votes.)

Vote: Which monster do you think is most dangerous? (Choose 1)
    * Adamantite Golem - 16% (17)
    * Elder Orb (a tough Beholder) - 29% (31)
    * Greater Werewolf (note the difference between #3 and #4!) - 1% (1)
    * Greater Wolfwere (note the difference between #3 and #4!) - 2% (2)
    * Lich - 29% (31)
    * Ulitharid (a tough Mind Flayer) - 17% (18)
    * Umber Hulk - 2% (2)
    * Vampire - 5% (5)

2. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Damn those Elder Orbs and their Imprisonment rays! Damn them all!

3. Sojourner Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Elder Orbs are the worst - I hate anti-magic rays! :mad:

4. Earl Grey

[​IMG] At the moment Elder Orbs lead the race an eyelash ahead of Liches. ;)

5. Gladiator Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Of those listed there, it must be Elder Orbs.

6. Earl Grey

[​IMG] So, are there some monsters - excluding boss monsters - that you think I should have included?

7. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Liches. It is ultimately hard to break their spell defense without 7+ level spells.

8. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Staff of the magi works wonders there. If you have a kensai mage weilding staff of the magi, then his defences go down in seconds

9. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Sure, Elder Orbs are hard. But get the cloak of mirroring and Spell Immunity: Abjuration, or use Gate, and they're suddenly a lot easier.

Prepare extremely well. . . and you can beat a Lich at 9th level with Breach and Protection from Evil.

But Umber Hulks are evil, evil, creatures. But then again, a Cloudkill will finish them off easily.

But Cloudkills on Umber Hulks are cheap.

As if overpreparing and the Cloak of Mirroring weren't. ;) :p

[EDIT]:
    Earl Grey, you shoulda but Demon Knights, Kuo-toa, Drow parties, Drizzt & Co., and maybe a dragon or two in there. :p

And now that I think about it, I probably should have changed my vote to vampires.

[ August 26, 2002, 00:45: Message edited by: C'Jakob ]

10. Takouhi Bladesinger Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Those stupid Ulitharids and Mind Flayers...they are so darn evil its not funny. I bet I've reloaded dozens of times for those suckers after they kill me and my party. Elder Orbs are also extremely hard, but I have the cloak of mirroring (yeah...I'm a wuss) so it is easier. Vampires and Liches are right behind them with the damnable level drain and time stops.

11. Shadowhunter Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] On a not so serious thread:

ME, I'm the toughest mthrfckr that has stepped on the face of Earth since humanity recorded History!

Though most likely I'm being called: "The most annoying idiot on the face of Sorcerers"...

/Me goes to wander in tears if the ladies in here still love me *SNIFF* :cry: . No hope I guess. *SNIFF* :cry:

On the serious trend:

Those f*cking illithid and beholders are surely troublesome :mad: ; if it were for me I surely would step on the game through the screen and beat the living Hell out of their sorry hides and asses for ruining my fun :evil: ... Although I never get bored at having a new ulcer, a dialysis and a lobotomy when those a**holes come by. :sick:

P.S.:

Should I put a poll to see if I'm annoying? At the very least I would become something for the ladies *SNIFF* :cry: .

[ August 26, 2002, 07:00: Message edited by: Shadowhunter ]

12. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

just have the cloak that stops attacking magics on Korgan and go berserk... bye bye beholders :bigeyes:

13. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Elder Orbs are way too easy only becouse of that cloak. That cloak is WAY to powerfull it gets all the fun from such fights :( :( . I never had to reload becouse of it, otherwise i would many times ;)

14. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I've voted for the Lich, but in all fairness there was a range there, some harder than others. Kangaxx was tough, some of the others not too bad. You always felt you'd been in a fight though!

Also it all depends on levels and party, since at early levels for example Vampires were bloody hard, and invariably resulted in a quick temple trip, at high levels just blow them up with a cleric. I had great fun turning the whole of Bodhi's lair in chapter 6. Walk in - vampires? what vampires.... :grin:

15. Earl Grey

[​IMG] Oh no! You got it wrong!
    Kangaxx doesn't count as a Lich. Kangaxx is a demi-lich and a "boss" monster as well.
    This poll is not about "boss" monsters! It's about the run-of-the-mill monsters, albeit the toughest ones.

Liches are now leading by a knuckle. ;)

[ August 27, 2002, 16:54: Message edited by: Earl Grey ]

16. Javalar Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Unfortunately I'm going to descend into semantics.

You stated: "what is the toughest monster" (singular).

Therefore, I was forced to select Lich, simply because their Time Stop spells can wreck havoc on an entire party. Of the monsters in the poll, ONE Lich is probably tougher than ONE anything else.

However, I had the most difficulty (ANNOYING) fighting those rooms crammed full of magic-resistant mind-flayers. While one wouldn't be too difficult, 8 or 12 was quite a challenge.

Cheers,

_J

17. TheBlackRose Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I actually picked Adamantite Golem.

They pack a big punch that can easily cut through a heavily-armored character (ahh.. the memories of the Elven City), are magic-resistant, and aren't they immune to most weapons in the game? (both magical and non-magical)

18. Sirdan Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Ulitharids.... (I hate Mind Flayers, :mad: :flaming:

19. Earl Grey

[​IMG] @Javalar
    Kangaxx is a demi-lich, not a lich and is not included in the Lich monster group. :eek:
    Btw, You chose Lich for the Time Stop which is fair enough. :)

More than one lich at the same time is nasty, but what about several Elder Orb's? Or how about two Elder Orbs and two Liches at the same time... then it's getting kind of hard to win without resorting to cheese. :D
    For those who think mind flaryers are tough; would you rather fight four Ulitharid's or four Elder Orbs or four Liches? :p

@BlackRoseI think Adamantite Golems are 95% resistant to all conceivable weapon damage types.

[ September 01, 2002, 15:25: Message edited by: Earl Grey ]

20. Sick curtaiN Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] Definitely those floating freaks take my vote. You should try the improved Beholders... :grin:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.