1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: To cheat, or not to cheat?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Brallrock, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Since I have joined here and started posting, I have seen varied reactions to using game cheats.
    I thought I would do a poll, so are you a cheater like me, or do you follow the straight and narrow path. Or perhaps are you somewhere in the middle, only cheat occasionally like when something gets messed up in the game or you disintigrate someone that has good loot. So here it is. Anyone who knows me knows that I cheat on a regular basis.

For purposes of this poll, mods are not considered cheating, all though there are some of you who may disagree.

[ December 31, 2005, 22:31: Message edited by: Brallrock ]

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 35 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: To cheat, or not to cheat? (35 votes.)

To cheat, or not to cheat? (Choose 1)
    * I cheat a lot! - 14% (5)
    * I cheat, but never on the first run through. - 26% (9)
    * I only cheat if something gets messed up. - 34% (12)
    * I do not even set up my game for cheats. - 20% (7)
    * I only use "enable cheat keys" cheats - 6% (2)

2. Truper Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I don't use cheats, Shadowkeeper, or mods (with two minor exceptions: the Balderdash fixpack, and the change in the cloak of Mirroring's graphic - neither of which are really "mods"). This seems to place me in a very small minority. :)

3. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Depends on your definition of "messed up". I play the game the way I think it should be played. For example, I'm not above CLUAing someone in who's supposed to appear in the middle of another quest that I'm not going to do, if I think that my party should meet him for RP purposes. I'm also not above using Ctrl+R on a character with regeneration after a fight; I mean, I could just let the game run until they regen the damage themselves, but I got stuff to do! ;)

4. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I don't like cheating on the first run of a game, since that has spoiled alot of fun for me before, but if something goes terribly wrong I feel like I'm forced to cheat. After the first run though, I cheat as I see fit, but I always want to keep the game challenging.

Mods and such are not cheating...

5. Brallrock Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Very true about mods, I should have made that clear in the poll.

6. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

To cheat
    Or not to cheat
    That is the question!
    Whether tis nobler in the mind
    To suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous thugs
    Or, by taking arms against a sea of evil-doers, and by so doing, end them?

I don't cheat on the first run through, considering I don't usually know how to cheat when I first play. ;) I've played BG games so many times, I find cheating to be a bit easier on this old woman. I can't be bothered figuring out riddles and puzzles on my own.

My liberal use of CTRL+Y and R came from the Sola mod which I found disgustingly tough. :nolike:

I didn't like the EoU with the PnP component for spellcasters. That just made it not BG imho.

7. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    I haven't enabled the console. I only use SK to test things so that I know what to expect beforehand.
    I like Mods a lot so sometimes I have to resort to SK to sort things out. But nothing too fancy.

@Kuemper: nice quote ;)

8. Elwithral Irenicus Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I always cheat after about 2 times going through non-cheating.

I cheat for the sake of looking pretty. I usually go onto the Interwab with my friend and this is how we play:

Me: 3 Characters

Him: 3 Characters

I edit his characters and mine in Shadowkeeper, or he comes to my house and we edit them together. Then we add the "Irenicus" spells, or the instant kill ones he uses in cutscenes.

You see, in the Temple District, there is an estate.. I forget what it's called exactly, but there's some bad people in it. Anyway, we take that over, and then we RP.

We summon some neutral Cowled Wizards in the dining hall, at the seats and all, and have a meeting. We usually have 1 main character each, then 2 bodyguards each. So our main ones are at the head of the table and the cowled wizards fill the chairs. Our guards sit outside. We make up something, then they teleport away.

Then we move upstairs where someone usually breaks into our house, he press H to make a movie mode. It's quite fun. We kill them, then go to our bedrooms, our guards going to their bedroom. We also have an altar downstairs to Mystra, a kitchen and a lesser guard/servant room.

We have a "testing" room, where we summon different animals and monsters to battle other monsters and animals, or even us.

And our favourite thing, rituals. We stand in some kind of formation, usually a hexagon (the top points being our main guys, and the side points the guards). The guards will have the Raelis Shai spell, where it just kinda snows, and then the other two do a whole bunch of flashy death things at a center object, the object varying each time.

Well, that's how I cheat most of the time. So my style of cheating is for flashiness. :D

9. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

The same with me :p

10. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Mods aren't cheating. Most of the time they exist to make the game *harder*. IMO, the word "cheating" means 'To make easier'.

Pure cheating is using CTRL + Y on everything that puts up a fight. :p

As for the poll, I chose 'I cheat a lot' mainly because I use the CTRL + J to move around a lot. :rolling:

11. Brallrock Gems: 23/31

Veteran

@ Kitrax, I tried to cover that with "enable cheat keys" option. As much as I cheat I can honestly say that I've never used Ctrl Y on anything. I may cheat out armor and weapons but if I can't kill it myself it doesn't die.

12. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    The only time I use the CTRL Y, is when I'm clearing the area of people and animals so I can summon a horde of Sahuagin to fight and cast horrid wilting at. :evil:

I some times use CTRL R to heal my NPCs while in the midsts of a major battle. I have two NPCs with clerical spells at all times, so CTRL R justs saves time...but I try not to use it on them, if they die, then i'm SOL. :(

I use CreateCreature, MoveToArea, and ExploreArea the most, so I didn't think that the "enable cheat keys" option was right for me. :rolling:

13. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

No cheating except in dire situations, this runthrough, at least. I used to cheat a lot, but no more! I used CTRL-R alot, but I have cut that down immensely.

14. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Well if something is really messed up I cheat a little.

The most common cheat I use:

When I cast project Image, and when its work is done and is still alive, I CTRL+Y him. This is easier than just killing as due to its massive protections, it will take long to kill him normally. I think this as a 'dismiss' PI so I really don't feel like cheating.

Only, this causes a bug sometimes, my real PC stays PIed still and paralyzed even when his PI is dead by cheat. So then I CTRL+R him, this actually hurts as it dispels Stoneskin, MImage etc too. But eh...it is my innocent cheat I suppose.

15. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    When a mod bugged my game, a fight repeated and I wasn't able to kill Sendai when she should normally die, I used CTRL+Y.

16. Minh So Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I cheat everyday, not on the first run though, well, not anymore... after BG2 ._~

17. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

No cheats here. Spoils the game I think.

18. Black Drakem Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Play once through but one exeption the Tob final battle to hard for me...

19. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I don't "really" cheat; only the occasional CTRL+J :p .
    I can easilly beat an unmodded BG2 game, so the only real issue would be a mod making the fights too hard. If that's the case I simply just unistall the thing ;) .

20. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

I didn't use cheats in my BG games, but I abused the game mechanics.
    (summoned with project image, got many XP and gp by erasing and relearning spells, stealing and reselling from shops)

I don't use mods. Even only gaining extra XP can make a game much easier and most mods do more.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.