1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Three Way Battle: Paladin vs. Ranger. vs. Fighter

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by New, Jul 24, 2003.

1. New Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Who wins?

I have my money on Paladin, but you choose for yourself...

[ July 24, 2003, 14:25: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 37 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: THREE WAY BATTLE! PALADIN VS. RANGER VS. FIGHTER! (37 votes.)

THREE WAY BATTLE! PALADIN VS. RANGER VS. FIGHTER! (Choose 1)
    * The Paladin would win! - 27% (10)
    * The Ranger would win! - 27% (10)
    * The Fighter would win! - 46% (17)

2. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

Depends on what level they're on.

If level 1 they're almost equal, the fighter has no advantage on the profiency-front so he might be the weakest... And a ranger could hide(if successful) and then I would say he's the strongest.

On higher levels when the Paladin and the Ranger is beginnig to cast spells the fighter is gonna get some problems, but he will likely punish them a bit with his grand mastery.

Hard to say...

3. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

The ranger would win.
    Why?

Because he would be at a distance shooting arrows at the two others while they beat eachother up in melee combat :D

4. dAS Gems: 3/31

I, too, have to favor the ranger in this one, especially at high levels. The Paladin has similar stats to the ranger, but no stealth or ranged bonuses, so the fighter and paly would be hurt before being able to go near the ranger, unless the fighter and Paly has some skill with a ranged weapon. Stealth can account for being able to hit and run, too, but it all depends on what weapons are being used and by whom. A fighter with no ranged weapons would have trouble with a ranger with a high dex using the composite +1.

5. Obad-Hai Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

ya definately the ranger!

6. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I think the fighter would win. Yes, the Ranger has stealth and the Paladin has more spells, but the fighter has sheer grunt power. He has higher proficiencies and will hit the other two more often. The Paladin can pray for help and the Ranger can try to hide but the fighter is built to cause pain and lots of it!!!!

7. New Gems: 3/31

It is, is it, Bard? So is fireball.

Wanna taste?

Paladin. Ranger and fighter would kill each other, and Paladin would last longer then either in battle, as he heals himself.

8. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

@ New : Good point.

In all fairness, they are all fairly evenly matched it just depends on circumstance. Now a fighter vs a bard that's a different story.

9. diebysteel Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I think the Paladin would win. The Grandmastery of the fighter isn't so great if you don't use a mod, and draw upon holy might is much better. And the ranger using distance weapons: doom, hold person, bye bye...

10. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I'm saying the fighter if he is a tank. No real reason, except that tanks can usually kill anything. :D

11. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

The ranger can also heal himself, and he can also charm both of'em...

12. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Depends on stats. In BG1 paladins and rangers don't cast spells. They're not high enough in level, simply.

Also, in D&D ranger is absolutely no better at ranged fighting than a paladin or barbarian and worse than a fighter, who contrary to ranger may obtain grandmastery in bow.

Now, ranger can hide and drink some potions before coming back. Fighter has grand mastery. Paladin has protection from evil for -2 AC and one laying hands attempt for some low amount of hp.

So the conclusion is pretty obvious: it all depends on stats. Best STR gives best thac0, best DEX gives best AC and best CON should give best HP. To some degree potions and other items also matter.

13. dAS Gems: 3/31

Maybe I'll give a fighter, a pallidin, and a ranger the same stats and see what they do to eachother every level or so. Might be worth a try. I would do it a few times to rule out flukes, like two crits in a row.

14. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I will agree with Chavelier that the stats will be the most important factor here. Assuming all stats are equal, I would give a slight edge to the fighter, simply because of the enhanced weapon proficiency.

15. Washed Heathen Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Assuming they all have equal stats xp and equipment the fight could go any way at low levels (1-3). But at around lvl 4 the hp bonus really begins to show in the fighter and he'll tendency to win. By lvl 9 the fighter will have a great advantage because he'll have grand mastery and n every fight.

It is only in BG II that the rangers and paladins begin to catch up when they get to high levels and are able to cast spells and use kits. An archer could totally annihalate both of them.

16. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Wouldn't it all depend on the tactics used?

17. Washed Heathen Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Yes my conclusion also assumes that all 3 characters have the good sense to follow some basic tactics:

The ranger will hide in shadows when they are both fighting him.

All three will attempt to retreat if the other 2 are fighting him.

The paladin will attempt to heal himself at an opportune moment

They will use use melee weapons for melee and ranged weapons for ranged combat.

They will cast spells if available.

With these tactics I believe the fighter will win most battles.

18. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Ranger maybe.

19. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

That's a tough one, and it also depends on how the battle starts and the terrain involved. At lower levels, I might go with the Ranger, as he is likely to have a higher CON than the other two. At higher levels, though, I'd go with the fighter if it were a straight gladiatorial battle -- his single minded focus on weapons (grand mastery) would allow him to do some funky things to the other two -- spellcasting while in melee is not recommended!

20. Buck Naked Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Straight fighter has the edge in BG1. Partly due to lower level of play, partly due to limited implementation of actual PnP rules in Infinity Engine. True, having the Bhaalspawn abilities can make paladin or ranger a little more fun than usual, but I've enjoyed playing fighters much more in BG1. But I think some of you are forgetting that we are talking about fighters/paladins/rangers as they appear in BG1, not PnP, etc.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.