1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Thoughts about cannabis?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by WiZinc, Nov 18, 2005.

1. WiZinc Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] Weed, cannabis, reefer, hemp, marijuana, any other names for that herb?

So while reading the drinking poll I started thinking about peoples thoughts about cannabis?
    Are people smoking it and how many have tried?

Me myself, while not a regular cannabis consumer, happen to smoke it on some occasions, not often,
    but often enough to be called a cannabis consumer,at least if you believe the authoratives. ;)

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 67 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Thoughts about cannabis? (67 votes.)

Cannabis (Choose 1)
    * I haven't tried cannabis. - 45% (30)
    * I have tried cannabis. - 31% (21)
    * I consume cannabis. - 24% (16)

2. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

I smoke marijuana maybe once or twice a week.

I usually light a few blunts with my bro after a long week of school and work. It's relaxing.

Home-grown Blueberry rocks. The buzz of that weed is simply awesome. :hippy:

Durban Poison hits like a brick on the head.

M-39 makes me long for the days when I was a Death Metal vocalist...

[ November 18, 2005, 01:59: Message edited by: Disciple of The Watch ]

3. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Never bothered. The stuff normally going through my head is already wackier than any tobaccy could possibly make me. :roll:

4. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Tried it year ago when young. Didn't like. Gave me a headache.

If I tried it now they would be carting me off to Heaven's Gate down the road. :doh:

5. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I've smoked it a few times in the past (can't avoid that where i live :D ) but i simply don't like it. In combination with beer you can get pretty sick, and i prefer my beer over anything else. :D Most of my friends smoke it though, so whenever they're here on a visit i need to open all windows, otherwise it gets kinda foggy in the livingroom.

6. Disciple of The Watch

Hehe, I will sound like a droogie saying that, but being buried in smoke is good. :D

Bah, shame on you, WiZ, that poll gave me the taste to smoke a blunt.

7. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Never touched the stuff. Might have passively taken some in during Uni parties, but I've never touched a spliff. I'm not even keen on smoking tobacco, even, as the one time I tried that made me hork up foul-tasting phlegm for the next day or so. :sick:

I'd probably legalise it, though. It's up to everyone to make their own minds up about cannabis, imo, as I can only see a great hypocrisy in outlawing a drug where any long-term health effects seem to be doubtful, at best. You just can't have it in the same category as heroin, cocaine, etc. because it's just not that lethal or addictive. The biggest risk anyone takes is in the amount of tobacco in a spliff, which can be as much as 20 cigarettes worth. I also cannot see how it isn't legal for medicinal use, at least, especially when the use of morphine is so widespread (although this may be more of an issue in Britain than elsewhere, where attitudes are perhaps more enlightened in this regard).

Personally, I see the use of cannabis as outlawed more from cultural stigma than real objective desire to save people from themselves. It's just not as lethal as alcohol or as socially divisive - who would you want to meet late at night? Four drunks? Or four pot-smokers? The former lot would have you paranoid they were going to smash your face in; the latter would be paranoid about you!

I sense a great hypocrisy with the legal stance on weed, and that's something I no-likey. :shame:

In conclusion: peace, out. :hippy:

(Heh, well I just had to get that smilie in somewhere, didn't I? ;) :p )

8. Disciple of The Watch

Very good point, Magpie.

Shisha, or fruit-flavoured tobacco, is good stuff. And it's not addictive. Plus, a bowler of shisha lasts for many hours. :D

Mmm... shisha... *drools*

9. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Never tried it, and I don't want to.

10. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I used to be a heavy pot smoker when I could get my hands on it. I didn't get sick from not having it, but I would usually long to get stoned when I wasn't already stoned.

I don't see it as harmful per se, but I do believe it should be legalized with the following conditions:

1: There should be a legal age limit. 19 is that limit for alcohol and Tobacco in Ontario, so extend that to weed.

2: If you are caught supplying such substances to minors (Alcohol, Tobabbo, Marijuana) then it's the same charge as if you had sold them Cocaine.

3: If you consume these restricted substances in an area where it is prohibited, then it's the same charge as if you were using Cocaine.

4: There ought to be taxes applied. If you seek to circumvent those taxes through any means other than growing it yourself, then you would be punished similar to trafficking contraband alcohol or tobacco.

5: If an officer suspects that you are driving under the influence, he may request certain tests. Failure to provide samples as required would be the same charge as failing to provide a breathalyzer sample.

11. Saber

But it is harmful. Not only does it kill brain cells (which I've heard humans need), but if you do happen to be high, and get in a car, the chances of you getting in an accident and possibly harming someone are much higher.

And if you don't care about that, think of what it does to you. Taking things that makes you less aware, intelligent, coordinated, etc, IMO is just plain stupid. Ruining yourself for a temporary high... just, why?

Of course, I am also against smoking, because it poses similar risks (more of cancer, though). Plus, it ruins the entire mouth. Chewing tobacco even more.

12. Lynadin Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I agree with Gnarff here...
    There's nothing harmfull to it :) , you can smoke every day and have a great life, you won't loose that many brain cells. ;)

It surely does NOT make you less aware, intelligent, coordinated, etc. -If any of you actually believe that, IMO it's just what you've heard somewhere from someone, who has not even tried it :shake:

Off course i would never drive a car stoned, just like i don't drink and drive :)

I believe cannabis should be legalized on the line with alcohol and tobacco - Both theese drugs are actually a lot worse (unhealthier) :rolleyes:

13. Saber

So when you're high, you are just as aware, intelligent and coordinated? Could a sonted baseball player go out and hit a homerun?

And I know so many people that smoke almost every day that are now just shells of human beings... how is this regular?

14. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Never tried it. I was simply never sufficiently curious as so seek out someone who had any to share. Well, there was that one girl in my dorm but she wouldn't give me any, saying it was "bad for you". Why it was bad for me and not for her I didn't ask. ;)

I also agree with Magpie and Gnarff on the legalization. It's hypocritical to have alcohol and tobacco legal and pot not. Give people the right to make their own choices, and tax the hell out of them in the process. :thumb:

15. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    :eek: I agree with Gnarff!!! :eek:

I also think it is reasonable that he suggests having similar restrictions and punishments for it's use as we see with other legal drugs.

I myself have used it on several occassions, although none recently. I can never say I was a frequent user, even in my college days. I'm not sure you mean when you say "consume" pot. Do you mean you're a regular user, or are you talking about things like pot brownies? I've never done that - my experience is limited to smoking it. It's just that when you say "consume" it suggests you're eating it.

Yeah, but it only kills the weak ones. :lol:

Besides, so does alcohol. :beer: And beer only kills the weak brain cells too.

Well, sure they are. But just like I don't condone people getting behind the wheel when they're drunk, I also don't condone people getting behind the wheel when they're stoned.

16. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Used to smoke it, though I generally prefered to put it in cookies or yoghurts. The "High" acheived was much more euphoric that way. I stopped smoking when I started going out with my partner seven years ago and have thanked her ever since.

I used to be pro-legalisation (or at least pro-decriminalisation as occured in Lambeth Borough, London for a while) but having seen the long term effects on friends I've altered my view.
    Simply put, Dope is the single reason that four of my friends failed University (and two of these were straight A-grade students). A couple are completely addicted - at least they don't seem to able to go more than a few hours without it. Another one is an insomniac, clinically depressed, and in an attempt to stop smoking appears to have become an alcoholic. I'm resonably sure that I was definitely operating at a lower level during the years I used to smoke. It induces lethagy if nothing else.

I agree that it's no worse than Alcohol, but because it can be grown I don't see how you could prevent minors from getting hold or growing it themselves. Nice to say "Tax the Hell out of it" but unfortunately that wouldn't prevent the existing illegal set-up from operating, purely down to the price differences.
    Brewing alcohol in Britain isn't illegal, just a lot of hassle (unless you buy the home brew kits, which again are for over-18's.) Unless you're extremely diligent it will quite often end up tasting like vinegar.

17. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I used to smoke grass regularly. And often. Once I learned to handle the impact I enjoyed it greatly. We had quite the blast for a few years; would not want to forget that time. :D Though some memories are a bit hazy, mind you.

Sadly it became more and more difficult to get quality stuff, both in Germany and in the Netherlands. We also tired of the hassle with the cops. I became increasingly reluctant to waste my money on poor quality... and eventually, like most of my friends, I stopped smoking. Which was nowhere near as difficult as some might want to make one believe, by the way.

My experience with cannabis is rather positiv, so I would like to see it legalized. In hindsight I cant say it is addictive - more like a habit, and did not interfere with my life that much, neither with that of my friends. For none of us it ended badly. Although, depending on what kind of person one is, and what problems and issues one has, I would not gernerally recommend to consume it.
    Also some self-constraint and control is in order. Smoking cannabis should be for special occasions, but not be an almost daily routine thing. Same as with alcohol. A sensible approach is in order and everything will be just fine. For the temptation to get high whenever one has the opportunity is definitely there...

18. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I've not smoked dope or any other illegal, untaxable drug. :p :lol: I don't see the point of it on a recreational basis, but I can accept it having 'medicinal properties' (ie: a pain cutter or pain forgetter). Then again, I'm not much into taking drugs for any reason.

19. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Dendri, according to some sort of cannabis test, a certain coffeeshop in Sittard came out best in the Netherlands. If i'm not mistaken that's close to the German border, near Monchengladbach. Regarding quality that's the best you can get your hands on at the moment. The degrading quality is because there are so many homegrowers these days, who don't even have the patience to wait until the plants are fully ripe. It's all about money now, quantity instead of quality.

20. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Pac man, jau. That's what the people in the coffeshops told us too, when we sort of complained. The great demand for cannabis lowered the standards - or so it was said.

I think we also made a mistake by mostly buying in Maastricht. Perhaps we should have had a look at the smaller towns, that are spared the mainstream 'drug tourism'.

Thanks for the hint. For the moment I am through with it though. Except for the rare Johnny that makes a round on a party that is. ;)

(BTW, unless I am mistaken I know what coffeeshop you're referring to. Been there twice. :D )

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.