1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Thief NPCs

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Chickavalier, May 10, 2005.

1. Chickavalier Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

this poll contains 2 Qs:
    1.what do you think is best thief?
    2.what thief do you like best?

Poll Information
    This poll contains 2 question(s). 46 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Thief NPCs (46 votes.)

Best Thief (Choose 1)
    * Imoen - 4% (2)
    * Yoshimo - 48% (22)
    * Nalia - 0% (0)
    * Jan - 48% (22)

Favourite Thief (Choose 1)
    * Imoen - 35% (16)
    * Yoshimo - 26% (12)
    * Nalia - 4% (2)
    * Jan - 35% (16)

2. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Jan is probably the best, though crap at backstabbing, but I always liked Yoshimo for his traps and backstabbing. Though most of all, I prefer my Assassin characters...

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    It's got to be Jan. Yoshimo has some inherent problems when pondering the long-term. However, even if he didn't, thieves extra skill points become superfulous beyond level 15ish. Imoen only meets base thief requirement, and Nalia value below acceptable requirements. Jan continually improves his thieving abilities, and acts as a back-up mage to boot.

4. Victor Eremita Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I answered Jan in both - although I do like Yoshimo's personality and his special traps he's not my favourite. Jan almost always makes it to my party.

Nalia's thief skills are too poor and I don't care much for changing rings all the time to make Imoens thieving skills sufficient.

5. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I voted Jan too. His dialogue is funny and he can handle most locks and traps as soon as you recruit him. He's a bit fragile in combat though; he needs his magic for protection. Yoshimo needs a few levels to become a better lock picker - something I generally don't bother waiting for. The two girls have inactive thief classes, so they won't be the best thief. With potions and equipment I suppose they are adequate, but not the best.

6. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

As a thief, Jan is probably the best choise since he can cast illusion spells and can improve his thieving skills. Yet, he always misses the cut because Imoen is more interesting as a character, eliminates the need for a separate thief and thus gives room to a extra mage (her). :D

7. Juaqeen Roukas Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Unfortunately Jan should get the vote just because he can still gain levels as a thief, though I have never found him very useful. Imoen usually goes along, with the ring of danger sense she does just fine. You can always use Minsc (if you can tolerate his ignorant rhetoric) or Valygar as the party scout.

8. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I voted Imoen as the best thief. With equipment and potions she does fine. But I voted Jan as my favorite. I just love him.

9. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

:lol: Jan has most of the votes while Nalia got none. No surprise there.

Both, Imoen and Nalia, have inactive thief classes and Yoshimo is not a long term proposal. This leaves Jan clear and there really is no competition.
    The reason Imoen may be picked more often than Jan is that she could be your only mage, Jan can't take that position. Imoen can just about manage to detrap and open locks. But there is more to a thief. Try his Detect Illusions skill to know what I mean.

10. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Jan is easily the best thief in a game where I find that you are best served by having your PC be the thief because the choice of NPC thieves is so poor.

11. Sticker Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I think Yoshimo is the best thief in the game, but Jan is my favorite. A single class thief seems a bit of a waste to me, a F/T of F/M is ideal. The first can be used as a tank and the second has more options (spells) than ranged attacks in a battle.

12. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Ofcourse Yoshi is the ONLY NPC suiting the cool thief concept.

Though I prefer Nalia as I am in love with her. :)

13. Derkoth the Disgruntled Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I kind of agree with Harbourboy... PC thieves rock. I like Yoshimo, though, for those kick-@ss special traps. The sarcastic remarks are nice too... The Tortured Souls Mod makes him even more interesting, eh?

Does Nalia even deserve recognition as a thief? Didn't she Dual at level 3 or some such pathetic thing?

[ May 13, 2005, 14:41: Message edited by: Derkoth the Disgruntled ]

14. Kulyok Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Yoshimo is the best one, and my favourite one.

100 in locks and traps, than 100 in setting traps, than raising both stealth skills to 120, raising pickpocketing just because you can... or dualling him to fighter, hey, he is a killing machine! And sexy too.

When I do not play a mage-type, however, I take Nalia.

15. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

Do you not use the 'mercykiller rin' and r'ing of danger sense' to boost Yoshimo's skills?

16. Kulyok Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I do. But then I always switch to another ones, there are too many good rings to lie abandoned, and somehow all these "thief" rings end up in the bag of Holding.

Also, I like to use rings of Invisibility (rings of Air) for backstab.

17. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

I usually find that rings of invisibility take too long to activate, and you must stand still to get it to work. The potions are much more useful for me.

Off topic but i have noticed that my last few games, I cannot fail to learn a spell, even with Aerie.

18. Isshy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I voted for Yoshimo. Those special traps are just too good. He can kill dragons with them all by himself! He is a good backstabber/scout too. He may not steal as well as Jan but a few potions fixes that. Plus Jan is too much of a windbag for my tastes.

19. Western Paladin Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

A single-class rogue like Yoshimo will always be more focused and have better abilities. I've always wondered what would happen were I able to keep him for the second half of the game (maybe I should download Tortured Souls? (isn't it like 800 MB?)). So Imoen gets the call-up in every one of my campaigns, regardless of whether my fearless sidekick is Minsc, or Valen. ;)

20. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

@Cesard:perhaps you're playing in normal?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.