1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: The ultimate "Who would win in a fight?" poll!

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Sticker, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Sticker Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] This is it, the ultimate "Who would win in a fight?" poll. If someone isn't represented who you think should be... tough luck. ;)

Question 1. No magic allowed in this one. The use of magical powers is prohibited, magical weapons and other items will be substituted for identical non-magical weapons. Everyone will fight once against all other contestants, three points for a win and one point each for a draw, the one with most points at the end wins. Everyone will be healed/resurrected after each bout.

Question 2. Same as in 1, only magic is allowed. That means any magical items and abilities the person would normally use.

Question 3. No rules, free for all, last man standing wins.

* All other weapons would be enhanced so they could stand up to Luke's lightsabre.
    ** Minsc would have the items you would usually give him in BG2:SoA.

Edit: Due to popular demand, a brief summary of the contestants.

Anomander Rake, aka Lord of Moon's Spawn, Son of Darkness, Knight of Darkness, is in D&D terms a 20,000 year old fighter/mage who can turn into a huge dragon. He also wields a two-handed sword that traps the souls of the ones he slays iside it. From Steven Eriksons Malazan tales of the Fallen books.
    Aragorn, heir of Isildur, aka Strider. From Tolkien's Lord of the Rings.
    Conan the Barbarian, the burglar warrior. R. Jordan among others, played by Arnold in the movies.
    Drizzt Do'Urden, dual-scimitar-wielding drow ranger. From the R.A. Salvatore books.
    FitzChivalry, an assassin with some magical powers. From R. Hobbs Farseer trilogy.
    Jamie Lannister, a knight from R.R. Martins books.
    Luke Skywalker, the force is strong with this one, apparently.
    Minsc, "Butt kicking for goodness!"
    Rand al'Thor, expert swordsman and a powerful mage. Has some ridiculously powerful magical devices. From the Wheel of Time series by R. Jordan.
    Richard Rahl, Battle-mage/ranger from T. Goodkinds Sword of Truth series. Powerful sword.
    Tomas, part human part valheru (dragon lord) lives with elves. Has some powerful magical items armor, shield and sword. From R.E. Feist's novels.
    Wolverine, the X-man, has big claws and enhanced senses, also regenerates.

[ June 06, 2005, 22:59: Message edited by: Sticker ]

Poll Information
    This poll contains 3 question(s). 52 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: The ultimate "Who would win in a fight?" poll! (52 votes.)

Who would win the no magic/"to first blood" tournament? (Choose 1)
    * Anomander Rake - 4% (2)
    * Aragorn - 8% (4)
    * Conan - 12% (6)
    * Drizzt Do'Urden - 17% (9)
    * FitzChivalry - 0% (0)
    * Jamie Lannister - 0% (0)
    * Luke Skywalker (*) - 10% (5)
    * Minsc (**) - 8% (4)
    * Rand al'Thor - 8% (4)
    * Richard Rahl - 0% (0)
    * Tomas - 6% (3)
    * Wolverine - 29% (15)

Who would win the tournament if using magic was allowed? (Choose 1)
    * Anomander Rake - 15% (8)
    * Aragorn - 2% (1)
    * Conan - 0% (0)
    * Drizzt Do'Urden - 0% (0)
    * FitzChivalry - 0% (0)
    * Jamie Lannister - 0% (0)
    * Luke Skywalker (*) - 37% (19)
    * Minsc (**) - 6% (3)
    * Rand al'Thor - 29% (15)
    * Richard Rahl - 2% (1)
    * Tomas - 6% (3)
    * Wolverine - 4% (2)

Who would win the free for all last man standing fight? (Choose 1)
    * Anomander Rake - 12% (6)
    * Aragorn - 2% (1)
    * Conan - 2% (1)
    * Drizzt Do'Urden - 10% (5)
    * FitzChivalry - 0% (0)
    * Jamie Lannister - 2% (1)
    * Luke Skywalker (*) - 13% (7)
    * Minsc (**) - 2% (1)
    * Rand al'Thor - 23% (12)
    * Richard Rahl - 0% (0)
    * Tomas - 6% (3)
    * Wolverine - 29% (15)

2. Arifirh Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I'd have to say Luke for 1), since even if the others' weapons were enchanted to resist his Lightsaber, presumably their limbs won't be. By 'no magic' I'm assuming Force push/pull etc. is out, but you couldn't sever his connection entirely without unfairly nerfing him... so with the Force helping his reflexes Luke ought to defeat Drizzt and co. in a one-on-one duel. And I've got Star Wars on the brain right now :tie:

For the others, my money's on Rand. There's no question if he's got the giant ter'angreal/sa'angreal combination, and even without he's still very overpowered - he could just stand there and balefire them. Or remember some other convenient long-forgotten trick and win anyway. :rolling:

3. Sticker Gems: 9/31

I think Luke has a huge disadvantage in the fact that he has very few real sword fights in his life (up tp ep.VI), most of the other guys practice their swordsmanship on a daily basis. Also, Luke isn't the only one with enhanced abilities, so I don't think he would fare to well.

[ June 06, 2005, 17:38: Message edited by: Sticker ]

4. Arifirh Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Hmm... most of my arguments boil down to "Come on, it's *Luke!* And he's got a lightsaber!"

I still can't see him losing, though, even to Drizzt. Though I don't actually know who two people on that list are... :eek:

But as for the others, I can only see Wolverine or Rand giving him a problem... Wolverine because of the healing and Rand for being a blademaster. But Wolverine I think Luke would eventually defeat because I can't see him regrowing an arm that quickly, and Rand because Luke's just as fast a learner - which is each one's basic strength.

Sure, Luke starts off weak, but after a few months of training he can hold his own in a duel against good old Darth... If it's Luke from after Ep. VI I think he's in with a good chance. The longer the fight lasts, the stronger position Luke will be in. Rand's got the Void... but his mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of the Force! :tie:

5. Sticker Gems: 9/31

RQ, I'd still argue that a jedi's tactics are very different from a regular swordmans. The jedi are more used to deflecting lasers, not fighting other swordsmen.

In the first fight I'd go for Tomas (Feist's Riftwar saga), he's the only one with a shield. I think it would give him an advantage over the others, shields are, IMO, tremendosly underrated in fantasy lterature.

6. Myth Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Minsc all the way!!!(well except for that spellcasting thing) Who else has a giant space-hamster as his loyal sidekick??(I wonder who is the sidekick really) Go for the eyes, Boo, go for the eyes RAAAAAAARRRGH!!!

I find the magic round quite unfair though. You see Minsc has a ridiculous spellcasting and some others like Aragorn, Tomas, Wolverine ...etc have none. Plus in the whole 3 SW episodes all that Luke has ever shown as non-lightsaberwielding force usage is a few pushes and a mind trick (no grip, no lightning, no absorb...) So I wonder how some of the characters will pass this round at all.

BTW Why is TNO not in the list? He would have eased the choice bigtime! :D :D :D

7. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I can't believe Tomas isn't getting more love here.

To me it was obvious that Wolverine wins the first category.

The rest of it is Tomas all the way. He has kick-butt magic items, he would probably summon up a couple of dragons, and lastly he is the last Valheru (the race before the gods). I don't see any of the other "mortals" listed having a chance.

8. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Cant say I know who all those guys are, but here is my prediction:

1. Conan. Brute, steroid strength, and a big-ass sword.

2. Minsc. In the party I have right now, he can kick anyones ass.

3. Drizzt. Wielding 2 swords, being ambidexterous (if I remember it correctly) would be good while fighting several opponents. And guessing what level he would be at after all his adventures I bet he could win it all.

PS. Luke is a WIMP!

9. Charlie Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] 1. Wolverine
    2. Rand
    3. Rand

Wolverine might be debatable but with magic, Rand wins hands down. Besides, balefire rocks! :D

10. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

1. Wolverine
    2. Minsc
    3. Wolverine

However, my votes aren't really fair, because I've never heard of the following:
    Anomander Rake
    FitzChivalry
    Jamie Lannister
    Rand al'Thor
    Richard Rahl
    Tomas

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I haven't heard of most of those people but I'd struggle to see how anyone could get past Anomander Rake or Luke Skywalker (assuming we're talking about the post RotJ Jedi Master version).

Can someone give us a summary as to who the heck the actual contestants are?

12. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    1. John Carter -- best swordsman on Earth or Mars.
    2. The Avatar -- one spell ... vas corp. Could clean up with the black sword or a few glass swords.
    3. Same result as in #2.

13. Sticker Gems: 9/31

Ok, edited the post, a brief description is now included. I'm visiting my parents at the moment. Quality time with the folks: making silly polls on SP. :D

14. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

What actually IS the difference between 2 and 3?

15. Teufelchen Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I think the difference is that in 2 its a one on one round robin and 3 is throw everyone in at the same time in a grand melee.

16. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    As much as I hate to say it, I think that Luke Skywalker, with his lightsaber, would win the second two fights...aperently, it can cut through anything...except another lightsaber.

Wolverine would dominate the 1st round though...nothing can beat his claws! :rolling:

17. Sticker Gems: 9/31

Kitrax, in this scenario the lightsabre couldn't cut through the opponents weapons or shields, but it could still cut through metal doors and stuff. Although they wouldn' have metal doors at the arena where this fight would be staged, but anyway... :p

I wonder if SWIII has something to do with Lukes popularity in this poll.

18. Harbourboy

I think Luke's popularity is that we have actually heard of him.

19. Sticker Gems: 9/31

HB, I actually tried to take characters from books that have come up in threads/been reviewed here on SP.

20. Harbourboy

Sticker, it was more a comment on my ignorance than on your poll. I probably SHOULD know more of those people but don't.

There are probably some other people in the Malaan books that could beat Rake in a non-magic fight (such as Daseem Ultor, or maybe the mysterious Seguleh First).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.