1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: The speed of sound (timed poll)

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Felinoid, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

[​IMG] I've been getting a little annoyed at something I've seen on another board, where people are repeating the same falsehood about the speed of sound in relation to lightning strikes. And I want to see if anyone here has it wrong too. But when you post, I don't want to hear anything about "the right answer" (to avoid spoiling the results), just what you THINK; what you've heard from whatever source you got your knowledge. Or better yet, just post "Voted" or something innocuous like that. In a week's time, when the poll closes, then we can get together, look at the results, and reveal the truth. And so...

EDIT: Note that the 'speed' is set up backwards as seconds per mile or km, in keeping with the lightning distance calculation.

[ September 27, 2006, 16:21: Message edited by: Felinoid ]

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 35 user(s) have voted.
    Voting stops at October 03, 2006 16:07 board time.
    You may not view the results of this poll until voting has stopped.

Poll Results: The speed of sound (timed poll) (35 votes.)

The speed of sound is... (Choose 1)
    * 1 sec/mile (0.6 sec/km) - 26% (9)
    * 5 sec/mile (3 sec/km) - 74% (26)

2. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    What is the point of making a poll about a scientific fact that can be looked up?

3. Felinoid

Well, it's meant more to see what people know without looking it up. To see what people have been told, either correctly or incorrectly.

4. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Having studied Fizziks ( ;) ) every year of school, I'm be rather surprised if I was mistaken.

Well, voted anyway.

5. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I voted. Not sure where I got my 'version', but I think I voted wrong anyway (the lightning bit).

6. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Voted.
    I learned that as a small kid. Hope I learned the right thing.

7. Gawain Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

voted

8. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Had a problem like this for homework last night... basically, [I broke the rules]

I voted for 1.

[ September 28, 2006, 01:00: Message edited by: Saber ]

9. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Felinoid, your definition of 'speed' hurts my head. I'm sure you know that what you've asked for is actually the inverse of speed, and in funky units for that matter. Perhaps a more accurate and clearer question would be: "After how many seconds after a lightning flash is the lightning a km/mile away?"

Furthermore, what I've been thought as a kid has been thoroughly replaced by what I've learned in life later on. Although this bit of info by my parents was actually pretty accurate, and supplied in meters per second, for which my parents deserve some praise.

@Saber: Apart from the fact that we were asked to refrain from such answers by Felinoid, you are also blatantly incorrect. (Although I suppose you could be correct, as you never stated for which medium you gave your velocity.) Also, speed does not 'move'.

Yes, I'm a nitpicker.

10. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I haven't got the faintest idea.

11. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Voted.

12. Atmer

Atmer Wandering... Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Voted, waiting for results...

13. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Voted, then checked whether my 'common sense' was right based on the 'lore' I'd had passed down to me; we'll discuss this some time after the poll closes...

:eek: -wait; THIRD?!? Dangit, me landlord's getting renovations done starting around that time, and I'll be without internet for a few weeks! Aw, poop. :(

14. Felinoid

True. But I'd barely woken up at the time after only 6 hours of sleep, and was of a mood indicated by the title smilie; IOW, not conducive to thinking clearly. ;) But you did get the idea, no?
    I find this the most probable explanation for the specific decimal Saber got. The real answer for air is within - I forget the exact term, but it's the standard scientific allowance for variation within a data set, which I think is 10% - of one of the two poll options, while Saber's was a bit farther away from 1 than that.

@jaded:
    Sorry. I set it for a week because I thought that would be long enough for a good sample but as short as possible for my own impatience. After all, I can't see the results yet either. ;)

15. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Voted. Then looked it up. At least something from my highschool years stuck with me. :)

16. Felinoid

Well, out of 35 votes, a full quarter have it wrong. It's both disappointing that so many have it wrong and heartening that the majority got it right. The speed of sound, close to the ground, is ~780mph. The higher you get into the atmosphere, the slower it gets (due to thinner air), and at some point it is 720mph. Multiply that by five and you get 3600mph (Mach 5). And 3600 is the number of seconds in an hour. So if Mach 5 is 1 mile/sec, then Mach 1, the speed of sound, is 1 mile every 5 seconds. Doing a plain calculation on 780 leaves 4.615... seconds per mile.

Why did the false answer of 1 sec/mile pop up? More importantly, how did such misinformation spread despite the real answer being known? It's pretty simple, I think. American egocentrism. The idea that our arbitrary mile and our arbitrary second would correspond so nicely as to make this calculation that easy. And the idea that our parents would know more than our science teachers. :rolleyes:

[ October 04, 2006, 22:44: Message edited by: Felinoid ]

17. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    American egocentrism? That's a pretty long stretch when you don't even know how many of the 9 people who got it wrong were American...

18. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Why is it so disappointing that people got it wrong? The speed of sound is pretty obscure trivia. It's not something I ashamed of not knowing. I'm actually surprised as many people got it right as they did.

19. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

It is not obscure trivia. Nowhere near.

The knowledge has important, day-to-day applications. For almost everyone.

And one SHOULD be ashamed for not knowing it. And especially ashamed if they got it wrong.

20. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Really? Lay out some of those important day-to-day applications for which almost everyone would use the speed of sound.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.