1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: The Roll

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Duke Eltan, Jun 27, 2003.

1. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

How much do you roll when creating a character?

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 35 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: The Roll (35 votes.)

The Roll (Choose 1)
    * I take the first and do what I can with it. - 14% (5)
    * No more than half an hour. - 66% (23)
    * I can roll for hours, I want that high score. - 20% (7)

2. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    If I can't get a decent list of stats after half an hour, I just accept what I have so far; then after the game starts, I save and exit the game to edit it with Shadow Keeper. :rolling:

3. Strifestrike Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Ure wasting ure time Kitrax, press control 8 instead of shadowkeeper.

4. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

It depends much on the character class. IE when a ranger, I need to roll for about two minutes, but with a F/M/T or C/M I'have to roll so long, that I use the ctrl+8 commando, then edit it downwards to around 90-92, and then set strength to about 18/75 or something like that.....

5. Spelladonna Gems: 14/31

Guess I'm just as guilty as everyone else when it comes to the Ctrl-8 commando, though I normally don't resort to that unless I'm going for a dual class character.

6. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

when I created my most recent party, I used CTRL + 8 on my swashbuckler, sorceress, druid and Beserker to duall to cleric.

With my monk and Kensai I just removed all stats from inteligents and wisdom

7. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    When I first began playing, I think I literally rolled for 45 minutes, min/maxed the stats, etc. (BGI - I felt it was necessary to get my guy an 18/00 strength). For BGII, I still rolled a good 20 - 30 minutes at start, min/maxing the stats. After that first game, I gave myself 20 rolls per character, saving the best one as I went along, sometimes min/maxing, sometimes not. After 20, that was it. Now, I take the first roll, no adjustments, because it really doesn't matter -- makes it more interesting, actually.

[ June 28, 2003, 23:12: Message edited by: dmc ]

8. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I usually try to get a decend number to char, the prime req., and dex. Like DMC said, it does not really matter anymore.

The current game I'm having will be, most likely, the last one for a few years...

9. Kitrax

Media:
    I've tried to use the CTRL + 8 cheat, but it never workes for me...don't know why. :rolling:

10. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

From Dan Simpsons FAQ:

Then try :)

11. Kitrax

Media:
    @Daephon: Not to seem rude, but do you think I'm that dumb when it comes to cheating/hacking the game. I know what I'm doing, and when I say it won't work for me...I mean that it won't work. It seems like it was only a few weeks ago that I was the one telling poeple how to enable the cheat console... :rolling:

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Check the cheats page on SP. I listed two ways to make it work.

13. Kitrax

Media:
    Oooo...there are two ways of doing it? Thank you kind Sir, for bringing this to my attention! :rolling:

14. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

[​IMG] You know this is getting a touch off topic.

Anyway i really roll for hours when creating my char. Last time i created my druid i rolled for 2.5 hours to get a *decent* score. Later i found out i could take th first roll as i got first three stats (str, dex, con) set to a designated number by werewolf form anyway.

But its a little more cool to have a druid with 17 int instead of a dubmass. :grin:

15. corbulo87 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Never more than half-an-hour. It's just not worth it. If I don't have decent stats before, oh, 10 minutes, I use the best of that rolling.

16. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31

I made myself a mage yesterday.
    And after rolling for like 45 minutes I scored a:
    Str: 18
    Dex: 18
    Con: 18
    Int: 18
    Wis: 18
    Cha: 3

My best roll ever. Anyone else got rolls like this? I almost fell out of my chair cuz the next highest is 6 points less in str but otherwise the same.

17. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Back when I was rolling a lot (see earlier post), my BGI guy had 97 points. Your roll is 93 (18 x 5 + 3). Respectable, but you can do better. Can that guy and go back to the drawing board. :D

ps. Why a constitution of 18? You only get a benefit of +2 HP per level as a mage (at Con. of 16) and, as you're not going through BGI, you can never get the stat high enough for natural regeneration.

18. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    How high does your CON have to be before regenerate naturally? I didn't even know you could! Yikes! :eek: PnP yes, but I didn't think they worked it in to this one.

19. dmc

Media:
    I don't remember exactly, but it's in the 20's. You can check easily by making a couple of characters, assigning them consitutions of 19, 20, 21, 22, etc. in shadowkeeper, detonating a fireball in the middle of your party, and see who regenerates. I'd do it for you, but I am at work and don't have BGII here.

20. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

This is how I recall it.

19 - Wont, because that would be too much of a bonus for Dwarves and Half-Orcs.
    20 - 1 HP per minute
    21 - 2 HP per minute
    22 - 3 HP per minute
    24 - 1 HP per round
    25 - 3 HP per round

So if you begins with a Dwarf with max constitution in Baldur's Gate and read the tome of constitution there you will have slow regeneration in BG1 and BG2. How it goes in ToB I am not allowed to say. :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.