1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: The best one-handed weapon

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Advanced Simplicity, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Advanced Simplicity Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Hello folks!

The whole Flail of Ages vs Celestial Fury thread inspired me to make a new poll, listing all the weapons in the game.

So.. which one do you think is most powerfull. I feel you should not only consider the exact power of the weapon but also think of how versatile it is and it's allround usefullness ;)

If you don't know or don't remember what all the weapons do you can see them all here at Gamebanshee's item section

[ September 30, 2004, 17:37: Message edited by: Advanced Simplicity ]

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 76 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: The best one-handed weapon (76 votes.)

The best one-handed weapon (Choose 1)
    * Hindo's Doom +4 - 1% (1)
    * Foebane +5 - 8% (6)
    * Flail of Ages +5 - 20% (15)
    * Crom Faeyr - 16% (12)
    * Celestial Fury +3 - 3% (2)
    * Storm Star +5 - 0% (0)
    * Club of Detonation +5 - 0% (0)
    * Blackrazor +3 - 4% (3)
    * Axe of the Unyielding +5 - 28% (21)
    * Spectral Brand +5 - 3% (2)
    * Ice Star +4 - 0% (0)
    * The Purifier +5 - 5% (4)
    * The Answerer +4 - 4% (3)
    * Angurvadal +5 - 7% (5)
    * Short sword of the Mask +5 - 3% (2)

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Hey! This is my job! But seriously...

It is difficult to answer because it depends on the class I am playing. For example, if I'm playing a barbarian, or beserker, I'm inclined to say Axe of the Unyielding (which is my vote). However, if I was playing a fighter/cleric, fighter/druid, ranger/cleric or fighter/thief, the Axe is not a viable option.

Going even further, if I was playing a paladin and had Keldron using the Carsomyr, then either Foebane or Angurvadal (upgraded in both instances) sounds pretty good. Of course, if I were playing a kensai, then naturally some type of sword would be my choice.

There is also a consideration of what other NPCs you have along wtih you. For example, if you have Korgan, then chances are he's using the Axe of the Unyielding. There's just too many factors in play to say which weapon is unequivocally the best.

3. Advanced Simplicity Gems: 4/31

Good point and that is often the major problem when deciding which item is the best.

The way I think when deciding is "If I had a character that could use and had access to all these weapons, which one would I pick?".

4. Crynus Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Either the ingame description of blackrazor is misleading, or I'm having a buggy game even after formats.

This is how blackrazor works for me:

+3 strenght for 20 sec on EVERY hit, this is cumulative.

15% chance level drain
    15% chance of haste
    15% chance of healing 20 hp

This makes me always have 25 str when fighting, and gives me a special on roughly every second strike, making the weapon insanely powerfull.

On top of that theres the immunities and regeneration.

5. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Celestial Fury is the best weapon in the game, IMO, period. Boo-koo damage and a chance to stun with every hit trumps nearly any other possible effect. You can even stun undead with that thing. If you can stun your opponent - even for 2 rounds - and have a series of unanswered attacks, most enemies go down rather quickly. Why would I want to bother with level drain/strength drain/poison, etc. when 2 rounds later the enemy can be dead? If the enemy won't be alive long enough to be significantly impacted by whatever negative effect your weapon adds, it's not worth it.

6. Crynus Gems: 1/31

Death Rabbit, well the thing is, that enemies in ToB have an annoying habit of saving against the stun, unless you throw around greater malisons all the time.
    I do agree that it is the most powerfull weapon in SoA without a doubt, especially considering how early you can get it.

7. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    I'm kinda saddened. I voted for Crom Faeyr, but was dissapointed that the runehammer wasnt there. It's in some ways better than Crom, so deserved a serious mention.

8. Paine Gems: 4/31

I don't know, Crynus. Despite the fact that the stun effect isn't quite as strong as in SoA, I still find Celestial Fury to be a pretty damn powerful weapon in ToB. It's just not the Velveeta dispenser it is when you first get it due to the relative strength of the enemies in ToB. I still like to use it, though--especially dualled with Belm. That seems to be my signature combo.

I don't like Crom Faeyr because I'm biased against hammers. I just don't like them, they're far too dwarvish for my refined elven sensibilities. ;)

9. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I like Spectral Brand for some reason.

10. Lawless Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I once had a guy with axe of the unyielding+5(my fave) in one hand and five headed flail of ages in the other.

11. Drumheller Gems: 6/31

@Crynus
    I used Blackrazor in two games (Kensai and Blade) and in each case the level drain was independent of the haste & heal. That is, in the script I would sometimes see level drain, sometimes haste & heal, but not all three at once. Still an outstanding weapon, especially when paired with Foebane.

12. Crynus Gems: 1/31

Drumheller, yea thats right, I put it up wrong.

13. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Axe of the Unyielding has my vote as well, I always have someone in my party that can use it...if my PC can't that is. :rolling:

14. Ghost Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Short sword of Mask... rp reasons

15. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Although I like Blackrazor better, going on shear power, I'd have to say the Axe of the Unyielding. Maybe I'm just a sucker for Vorpal weapons, but decapitating enemies is just cool. Even if it doesn't show it in the game.

16. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Flail of the Ages +5.

5 different kinds of elemental damage, +5 enchantment, permanent Free Action, chances of Slow on hit, blunt damage (clay golems are outta here!! :evil: )

How's THAT for versatility? I voted for Flail of the Ages +5, because as a weapon, its the best there is.

It's a pity you cant backstab with it...else I'd be using it for all my uber thief-type characters...but otherwise...FotA +5 rocks!

17. Tiberius Gems: 6/31

celestial fury, bar none

18. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

I don't know enough about the advanced stages of the game to make my own poll, but I think a "what's the best offhand weapon would be a cool poll as well."

Runehammer, Crom Faeyr, Belm, Dakkon's Zerth Blade and Anguvadal come to mind.

19. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Crom. 25 Strength is simply a godsend not to mention the fun slaying abilities that are linked to it and the +8 damage (5 electrical, 3 enchantment).

Mostly it's the 25 STR through considering no other item bestows that much of a boost.

20. Ghost Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

A lot of people like celestial fury... I know about the early advantage, yet juz curious does anyone use it till the end of ToB?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.