1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: The Best NPCs

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by The Fat Egg, Jul 22, 2000.

1. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

[​IMG] Who are the five best NPCs?

Edwin
    Alora
    Ajantis
    Xan
    Shar-Teel are my favorites!

2. Lord Bane Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Alora ??
    Xan ??

How can you like THOSE two ?

You only get Alora at the end (almost), so all her skills are already set, you can't choose them yourself. And Xan is just a wimp. You'll have to be very lucky to get him to 20HP at the end of the game. Get Dynaheir instead.
    I agree on Ajantis though, he's just awesome.

My personal favorite still remains Coran though : give him boots o' speed and gaunts of Ogre Power and he's a VERY mean assassin. (I used him to kill the 4 dwarven warders in DT on his lonesome !!!).

3. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

I agree Xan is crappy but I keep him because of his awesome moonblade. However I still like Alora!

4. Gunthar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Although Alora isn't the MOST annoying character in the game, (That Title goes to Quayle :p ), she is still a pain. With Imoen you simply don't need anyone else. Of all the NPC's Safana is the most obscure. I never met her in the game untill I saw her on an NPC list. Xan is terrible as well, seeing that he can't cast invocation spells (I like my magic missle) and has a sword. Unless a mage is a Fighter Mage, swords are stupid for Mages. Finaly the last character I'm going to trash is Khalid. Strength 15 on a fighter says everything, and that whinny voice of his....

5. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

Imoen is the most annoying although she is a good character. Give Khalid a Composite bow and he rocks so he really doesn't need strength. Alora you get two 2\3 of the way through so you can somewhat choose her skills, and even if you don't have complete control as with Imoen she's still an awesome thief and certainly a good fighter for her class. Xan I got up to nearly 40 hp and since you get him in the middle of the game he is good to keep. I've seen him inflict 30 points of damage which for a mage is just great! Not the least bit of exageration here either!!!!

6. hooligan_inc Guest

Xan has an absolutely awesome moonblade. Why the hell can't I find one for me anywhere?
    Other than him, the best NPC is Kivan. He is so good with a composite bow and cloak of the wolf.
    Worst? Kahlid or Garrick. They are complete fools.

7. Silksteel Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

You cannot find a moonblade for you, because you're the offspring of Bhaal, not of a noble Elf family from Evermeet. Drawing a moonblade would kill you.

8. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

I can't believe you don't like Khalid!

9. Wingfoot Guest

Kivan is the man, a better replacement shoud Khalid die. Khalid cant fight well w/ a melee weapon early on in the game.... although he his good as an archer.

10. Gunthar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] How could anyone like Khalid? :eek: Khalid is such a whinner, why bother with a fighter who only has strenght 15. Since you can only spend 3 weapons points on missle weapons, Minsc makes a much better Composite Bow guy. The best missle shooter is however Coran, how can you go wrong with dexterity 20? :D Although Xan's moonblade is good, it is really useless because it is stupid to have a mage engage in hand-to-hand combat. I just don't care for mages who can't cast Invocation spells.

[This message has been edited by Gunthar (edited July 24, 2000).]

11. Wingfoot Guest

as much as i like Kivan, Edwin is no doubt the best NPC in the game. he has an 18 INT and gets +2 HP per level, plus he's a conjurer, (too bad, cant cast I.D.). his DEX is low, but no problem there; gautlents of DEX.
    Coran is also very good, too bad so many points are spent on steath by the time you get to him.
    Xan sucks, plus he's a whinner too.

12. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

What many of you are failing to notice is that Khalid has very high hp and you get him in the beginning so you can choose his skills. As for strength, can anyone say gauntlets of ogre power? Therefor Khalid kicks a**!!!!!

13. Wingfoot Guest

you cant the gautlents til you get to BG(unless you cheat ofcourse)
    you can do the same w/Kivan, you get him early on...only problem is he has a low CON,
    a 14 i think, but you can get the manual that raises CON by 1 in the cave w/ the Flesh Golems. He has a much better STR than Khalid.

14. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] Easy!
    Viconia, for the Drow thang

Imoen, for that good ol' mage/thief thing and she's great!!

Minsc, 'cos anyone who goes on about the famous spelljamming giant space hamsters is COOL!!

Branwen, for being a Psycho cleric

and last but not least, Safana, to be a pure thief

15. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

Imoen is a bad mage!!!!! Safana and Alora are better thieves!!!!! Khalid, Kivan, and Coran are all better long and short range fighters!!!!! Although Imoen is good she's not the best in any field except annoyance!!!!

16. Lord Bane Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] why do you find Imoen such a bad thief ??
    She has 18 dex, which is excellent, and you get her at the very begin !!
    Both Coran and Alora, and Safana, always have stealth and open locks maxed out, never find traps...

17. hooligan_inc Guest

[​IMG] Yeah, but Garrick is FA Carling premiership RUBBISH

18. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

[​IMG] Perhaps imoen is useful for finding traps!!! However in every other instance I've never found her useful!!!!

[This message has been edited by The Fat Egg (edited July 24, 2000).]

19. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I bet that anyone who thinks Khald is a good fighter and an annoying whining fool thinks Shirley Manson isn't attractive...

20. Jarron Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Best five for me:

Imoen (dual class her to a mage)
    Jaheira (good fighter plus healing power)
    Viconia (cleric & not as annoying as Branwen)
    Coran (great archer)

And last but not least - Garrick. GASP, GASP, GASP (From reading other posts I know most of you disagree with this one) He's great for casting backup mage spells and using mage wands. I don't know about you but I had numerous wands of monster summoning and fire by the end of the game and Garrick uses them just as good as a mage. Plus he can sing to help the rest of your party on the minor battles.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.