1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: The Art of Communication Part 1 of 5

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Nobleman, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Intro Crap...
    With the resent talk of departure from SP due to heated discussions in mind, I was hoping the community would participate in the same experiment we are currently running at university, with good results. Politicians aren't the only people having trouble getting to an agreement or getting a message through. We science students/employees suffer from it too. Hour after our of discussion leading us nowhere closer to a result...

Info on Poll
    This is part 1 of 5 questions that will help you evaluate your own skills of communication. The remaining four polls will come with a week apart. If you have comments, then please try and stay close to the poll at hand, since most will be covered in the four other polls... Hopefully.

The Poll question. For more info please look in the poll
    Whenever you choose or is forced into a discussion/debate which isn't about your personal affairs, what is your initial position?

A
    The verbal Gladiator

B
    The verbal Soldier

C
    The verbal Judge

D
    The verbal Teacher

E
    The verbal Student

F
    The verbal Adventurer

G
    The verbal Sage

The first and two last are intentionally fictional characters, since they are not seen often in our real world.. :aww: Perhaps in our cyberworld? Any specific comments regarding this part 1/5 poll are very welcomed, the Sage says :)

Ps: And yes I did vote I hate to be wrong for those curious, heh.- I guess it is something to work with. *sigh* And just to emphasise, if the discussion is personal I move at least 1 step up the poll ladder :bang:

[ March 22, 2004, 17:58: Message edited by: Nobleman ]

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 29 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: The Art of Communication Part 1 of 5 (29 votes.)

Whenever you discuss non personal matters, what is you stand? (Choose 1)
    * I fear my "opponents" are still after me personally. They are always wrong in what they say and I will fight everyone over it. The verbal Gladiator - 0% (0)
    * Although I acknowledge other opinions as non personal, my opinions are always right and I will fight everyone over it The verbal Soldier - 3% (1)
    * ] I don't view participants in a discussion as opponents but more as confused individuals, I am smarter and I will defend my point of view. The verbal Judge - 10% (3)
    * I don't need to defend anything, since a discussion isn't a war, it is a common interest. Still it annoys me to find my opinions wrong. I don't like being outsmarted. The verbal Teacher - 24% (7)
    * I stand by my opinions even if I feel they are a bit far fetched, but I don't really mind being outsmarted, if you want to call it that. I might get grumpy, but I live to learn. The verbal Student - 21% (6)
    * Far fetched opinions, eh? I always try and do at least a little field-study, before I venture out to the land of opinions. If I see someone with more reasonable arguments that even oppose my own ideas, I am willing to listen and and study them to adapt my own view. I am in this for the knowledge. The verbal Adventurer - 31% (9)
    * ] I don't really have my own view to start with at all. I have a logical view. Or at least I am aware that any viewpoint is tainted by feelings and attitude, both very subjective. Because of this, I master the art of looking at all three sides of the coin, yes even on top of it... and any product that produces more reason and sense is worth the effort of changing the opinions I lay forth to people.The verbal Sage - 10% (3)

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I am a a judge, I know I am right and I know that everyone else is just confused and havent really thought their opinions through. That is my approach and stance, however, at the same time but on another level I am well aware that I may be completely off it. That is more of an academical observation though to cover my retreat as I know that it wont be needed. ;)

3. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I am the adventurer, on a quest for experience. I am the student, seeking to quench the thirst of knowledge. I am the teacher, paving the road and sharing what I have found. I am the judge, passing tough verdicts and acting on reason, not on feeling. I am the soldier, battling for feeling and not for reason. I am the gladiator, tying together prowess and instinct. I am the sage, ascending the path of wisdom.

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Just like Joacqin. We're really not bad people - we just come off as arrogant sometimes. We're convinced we're right because we usually are. (And Chev don't kill me for that, I know there is an obvious flaw in that logic, but logic often fails in the face of personal experience)

EDIT
    (It's also humorous that we are see many people voting for the supposedly "fictional characters").

[ March 23, 2004, 17:03: Message edited by: Aldeth the Foppish Idiot ]

5. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Although I acknowledge other opinions as non personal, my opinions are always right and I will fight everyone over it. The verbal soldier. I think that's me. I just can't let go. I have to contradict and contradict and contradict. And I am pretty much convinced of the results of my reflexions. Of course, I take everything I learn in a discussion and put it into my arsenal for eventual later use, but even if I don't dismiss something intersting and previously unkown to me, I don't confess or cede that it acutally has been this way. I just go on.

6. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    This poll shows me even more clearly that I am most often right as so many people lack the self-insight to even be aware they are so set in their opinions. A majority voting for the adventure is laughable, I have yet to see any adventurer actually post here, some might exist but they are not likely to post but just read what others have said. This is what I meant when I said I knew that most people come off as confused and not having thought their own views through from all angles.

Aldeth, I dont come off as arrogant, I am arrogant. :)

7. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

Please Bear with me, since I have translated it from danish to english there might be some inconsistencies. Oh and to add, if anyone voted adventurer and aren't, it will be revealed through the other four polls. This is more of a prelimenary poll than a poll to make people aware of their diplomatic flaws so to say. But it serves a quite important cause, which Joacqin seems to have caught a part of. You didn't sneakpeak into the future Joacqin? :)

@Joacqin
    one of the punchlines...

Remember this is a well thought crossreferance poll. Anyone who, aware of it or not, aren't able to evaluate themselves correctly, or close to correctly, will be revealed.

[ March 23, 2004, 13:37: Message edited by: Nobleman ]

8. joacqin

Media:
    Nobleman, nope, no sneakpeaking. I am just so damned smart that I could kinda gauge what was the point of this excersise and what tbe aim of it is. ;) Not to reveal anything but I think this is supposed to lead to greater self-insight and to reveal to people that they in general dont have much of that. I could be wrong though and I am looking forward to the other parts of it. I am always interested in getting to know myself better.

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Then I suppose we both are. I was just trying to be nice and give you the benefit of the doubt.

But really, the verbal adventurer - on these boards? Not very likely...

10. Jaguar Gems: 27/31

Veteran

The verbal adventurer. Molding and adapting is cool. ;)

11. Amatorius Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Student. [though some Adventurous traits come to mind but you did say pick 'one']
    Honesty,in my view, is the best policy because lying to onesself is not only dangerous but stupid, and in most cases will get you in serious trouble of one sort or another.
    Stubborn yes, but I daresay I'll live through better arguments than mine and come up later with better ones myself.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.