1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Test Your Mathematical IQ, Profesionally

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Nobleman, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] This is the danish mensa test. It is professional. It has a timer, and answers rearrange so you can't cheat. I know the Maximum score of the test, so don't bother cheating those few of you who think they are mathematical geniouses and want to keep it that way in their fragile crystal dream. The max is lower than you think so be carefull. And no, the number is nowhere to be found and the homepage is in danish. So you can just as well take the test and flush out your dream castle ego of genious rather than use more time to try and cheat. And *DONT* mengle with the spread (called "spredning" in danish) afterwards. Let it be on 16. You'll only cheat yourself. No brag in this thread. Rather don't say anything at all.

That said, the test takes 40 minutes. I suggest you use all the time. You really need those last points. Don't get tricked with your first intuition, especially at the latter half of the questions. And for gods sake don't get sad when, not if, but when you score a lower number than you expected. Mathematical competence is but one of many human aspects. It is absolutely no measurement of how competent you are in real life. And your chance of success. And even when your score is lower than you expected, hard work and especially dedication can make up for a lot.

Now good luck and enjoy people. Use this oppotunity at least once to test yourself, in a somewhat professional manner. And remember that cheater's average IQ is 200, so even if you cheat you didn't do it very well. Have fun, and good luck again :)
    http://mensa.dk/testdiniq.html

EDIT: And Ivanji or whatever you are called now, don't bother playing detective again and try and figure out what I scored or voted or whatever, like last time I posted a poll. I will not vote untill I am curious what people scored. And I'll most likely drop my vote in the lowest cathegory at that point. So don't assume too much. Again.

[ June 09, 2003, 00:58: Message edited by: Nobleman ]

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 28 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Test Your Mathematica IQ, Profesionally (28 votes.)

Test Your Mathematica IQ, Profesionally (Choose 1)
    * My test score at spread 16 is 170, which is max - 4% (1)
    * My test score at spread 16 is 161-169 - 0% (0)
    * My test score at spread 16 is 151-160 - 0% (0)
    * My test score at spread 16 is 141-150 - 0% (0)
    * My test score at spread 16 is 131-140 - 25% (7)
    * My test score at spread 16 is 121-130 - 36% (10)
    * My test score at spread 16 is 111-120 - 25% (7)
    * My test score at spread 16 is 101-110 - 11% (3)

2. Oxymore Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Omregn til spredning (translate please):

15 -> 133
    16 -> 135
    24 -> 152

So, am I a genius yet :happy: , or rather an idiot :sosad: ?

3. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Yes well, I've done quite a few tests in my life. Some real, some debatable, and a few obvious internet fakes. And every time I get a clear above the average result. Yet most people know more stuff than I do, are able to do more stuff than I do, are socially and mathematically more talented than I am, etc. By no means is my position in the society a good one. I just even managed to fail in a very, very imporant test where the rate for succeeding is around 40% (which should be the same as impossible to fail). And I tried more than I've tried for years to pass that test.

So what does that say? Even if there is some readable real IQ, it doesn't amount to anything in the harsh reality. 90% is up to your attitude and your previous experiences of life, upbringing etc. I know dumb people who make a very good living because they are hard-working. And I know (one friend of mine in particular) extremely talented people who can excel in anything they want, but amount to nothing because they can't come up with the drive to do it.

Of course, as Nobleman already said, this is obvious. Just call it my own comment for those few who either feel disappointed or bolstered by their results. As long as the results don't make you change your base nature, they will be of no importance no matter how extreme from either end. And if they do change your attitude of things, then you're off for a real slide down a rocky hill as then you're going to take in a whole lot of bull with other less-than-reliable tests bound to make you a victim for marketing and other sort of abuse.

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    That test was kinda nice, I got 116 when clicking past all questions that werent obvious. I just thought I would check it out. Generally though I either know an answer right away or I dont. I can never bother to think on it for long, dont know if that is because I would never get the answer anyway or because I am just lazy. I like to think I am lazy of course. ;)
    I agree with Foradashtar though, there are so many sort of intelligence and ways to measure it and this is but one. There is this SAT like test here in Sweden that I scored very high on and that people I know get real high scores on Mensa tests scores low on.

The tests are fun if you get high on them as they boost your self esteem but one shouldnt knock oneself down if scored low.

I was however a bit worried by the lack of low options on the poll. I felt mighty stupid choosing the second to lowest one. ;)

5. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

[​IMG] 124. Just like that. I am happy with the results.

LOL! Don't take it personally. I just wanted to show off. :)

BTW - My new nick is Rutkowski.

6. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Ditto Joacqin - it's embarrassing to be in one of the "dumbest" categories! I got 120, but please don't tell Mensa as I'd rather not have my membership revoked. I'm smart enough in Canada, based on my Stanford-Binet and GMAT scores, and that's the important thing! :lol: Of course, it's possible my IQ has dropped considerably over the last 10 years, which would be even more embarrassing.

This was a very spatial IQ test, not just a mathematical one. In addition to the pattern-recognition ability that is essential to any measurement of IQ, you needed to be able to rotate shapes in your mind. Sometimes multiple shapes within shapes needed to be rotated in different directions. So I would expect men to do much better than women, since spatial perception has been linked with testosterone. It's a good IQ test though - to succeed at it, you must have excellent control of your spatial ability *and* mathematical ability *and* pattern recognition ability. Anyone doing well at it would definitely be unusually clever. Which is not to say that people who did miserably at it, like me, are not smart in other ways. Dig, dig. :)

7. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I got a lousy score... 120. Maybe I should have spent more than 10 minutes doing it?

8. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Well, I spent 25 minutes and got 124.

These tests don't tell the truth, but they give you some idea about it. I get usually 110-130 from IQ tests, so this result was average for me.

9. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    [​IMG] 104. As I suspected, I am crap at Maths :)

My brain hurts :wail:

10. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] *Ahem* Arabwel, remember that fragile crystal castle I mention in the toppic starter?.. Look at that phrase again. and 120 is not lousy, unless you just insulted every normal and a little above normal person on earth. What is so wrong with beeing normal and even a little above normal? As I said in the intro this has nothing to do with your success and achievements in real life. No wonder you might be so frustrated with your life at times, with those high demands you push yourself around with. ;)

And Sprite, it is not your abilities that have diminished. Years ago all mensa tests and the like used a standard diviation (standard spredning for Oxy's translation :) ) of 24. Nowadays most mensa tests use 16 as standard diviation, which gives you a lower score. So don't be sad :) . And you are right. Its both a spacial and logic test. The infamous cognitive measurement known as "g". But I wanted a more mundane Thread title.

EDIT; This poll may also indicate a point I tried to persuit a few years ago, that roleplayers and people who generally participate vividly in fantasy settings and imagining roles are around 10 points above the average human IQ. Which is rather interesting, since these tests are often acused for not taking into account creative people's abilities. Keep up the good work people. With free statistic material for me. :1eye:

[ June 09, 2003, 18:44: Message edited by: Nobleman ]

11. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] is 119 good?

12. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

I don't know where, when, or who said this, but I'm going to quote it anyway; 'IQ is just a silly number of how well you solve puzzles'

119 is good, the averege person has an IQ of 100, so even 104 isn't bad either. And this IQ test, only test one aspect of intelligence. If you didn't make this test very well, you might score better at a test that tests a different part of the IQ.

13. Frostbite Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I think I might have got the lowest :(

14. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Silverblade is absolutely right. I was reading an article in Parenting magazine several months ago that discussed nine separate areas of aptitude. It's essential to understand which type of intellect you're dealing with to maximize the person's capabilities, whether you're the teacher, the learner, or a parent.

That said, I'm keeping my score to myself! :p

15. Oxymore Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] Usually IQ tests take age into account, does this test assume we're all adults?

16. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Yeah i wonder if the age has any effect on the resoulting score?
    I suppose it does, but that's just my opinion.

Anyway i got 118 points out of it. Didnt bother to finish it becouse it got really annoying in the end (or rather a bit tough ;) ).

And i agree that IQ hasnt got much effect to a persons life (unless its in the extreme). Most of all IQ is IMO impossible to test. People differ greatly in different kinds of inteligence so you really cant tell by simply looking at the score you got. And there's the time and the mood in which you take it,....
    Lots of factors is my point :)

17. archbishop Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] I got a 130. I also had three numbers underneath it 15, 16 (greyed out), and 24. What did those mean? If I change that, my IQ changes.

18. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

122, and I got annoyed and guessed at the last half. Well, at least I know I fall in the 'average', whatever that may mean.

19. trillex Gems: 13/31

Spredning (spread) is just something like Inch, cm and so on. They use 15 spredning in the US and 16 in Europe and 24 some place else..

20. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

112. I think that what i got anyway. I'm not that fluent in dutch

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.