1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Satanism...

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Loerand, Jun 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

So, this is a simple question: Are you a satanist?
    If you wonder why I'm asking, it's a project work in school I'm working on...

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 42 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Satanism... (42 votes.)

Are you a satanist? (Choose 1)
    * Yes - 12% (5)
    * No - 88% (37)

2. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

YAY! I'm the first one.
    (Alexander get serious)

Hmm... no I'm not a Satanist because I ain't a Christian. So I believe that evil is man-made and there is no Satan.

3. Kiranos Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Alexander you should really read up about Satanism... It aint about smashing tombs, it aint about believing in a God, any God no not even an evil one... The only God on this earth are yourself and NO Satanism aint about the Devil that's devil worshiping you are thinking about. ;)

Anton Szandor Lavey the founder of Church of Satan wrote a book "The Satanic Bible" it is called. It is a book about believing in yourself and that you stand in the centre of your own life. Don’t blame anyone but yourself if you screw it up, instead take full responsibility and make better. One can no longer hide behind God works in mysterious ways as a lot of the Christians tend to do. You said you were an atheist, and then you might want to investigate Satanism a little further…

[ June 19, 2003, 20:52: Message edited by: Kiranos ]

4. Volsung Gems: 14/31

And who said I want to investigate Satanism?

(And can you use a less negative way of speaking? I did not understand a thing of what you said.)

5. SoCo Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I voted No. I am Roman Catholic, but I'm not strict and don't follow it too well. :rolleyes:

6. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Me neither. Lapsed Mormon on his way to Roman Catholicism. I can't imagine you'll get too many satanists, but then again this is SP! :evil:

7. Kiranos Gems: 4/31

Ohh I guess me?

You said I was negative. That was not my intent, not at all. Satanism is about believing in yourself instead of hiding behind a God when the world treats you unfair. I guess it all breaks down to that, you only have yourself to blame if you fail in something, anything... There you have it in a nutshell.

8. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Well, as I have never worshipped the devil, or worshipped myself and I haven't vandalized graveyards or sacrificed some animals, I think it's safe to say, that I am no satanist. :D

By the way, a definition of satanism would have been nice, because I wouldn't have had to make up my own.

[ June 19, 2003, 17:20: Message edited by: Yago ]

9. Oxymore Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Err... nope. Who's Satan anyway?

Nota Bene: 4 yes so far...

10. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I'll get in trouble for this, but I've always seen Satanism as a really sad and immature backlash against Christianity. It's like a little kid saying "you told me not to, so I'm gonna do it the EXACT OPPOSITE of what you said." I have much more respect for Wicca, who believe they are totally unrelated to Christianity, than for Satanists, who appear to me to be highly unoriginal -- they just hold up a mirror to Christian thought and call that a guideline for living.

I prefer practitioners of a faith that has something other than an anti-other religion as its basis. The more peaceful sides of Islam, Hinduism, Wicca, Buddhism, all of these seem to me to be religions with a solid philosophical and theological base.

11. Kiranos Gems: 4/31

Just read the “Satanic bible” by Anton Lavey and you will see that your assumptions are wrong. It is not the opposite of either God or Christianity.

Daephoon where are you? As you see here there is a demand for an explanation of Satanism...

12. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I never realised there was a difference between Satanists and Devil Worshippers. I myself, am roman catholic, though not exactly the most devout (since the last time in church was about a year ago, and was thinking about doing something in the confession box with a hot girl I could see at the front).

13. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31

I'm also roman catholic and I'm going to church every sunday.
    But I'm wondering, if satanismus only means that you believe in yourself and think that there is no higher might, than why are there black sabbats where you sacrifice babys and cats to satan, I can't imagine that this is only propaganda !

14. Kiranos Gems: 4/31

sacrifice babys and cats to satan, That is the main problem, The people doing this aint involved with Laveys Satanism, Lavey got alot of his ideas from Nietzsche so you can go from there...

some reviews for the "Satanic bible"

-------------
    Reviewer: manfredziesmann (see more about me) from Canada
    Logic, common sense, and a touch of blasphemy are combined by Dr. Anton Szandor LaVey in his amazing book, The Satanic Bible. LaVey uses this book to tell his side of the story, and uses the book to dispell nearly all myths of Satanism propogated by the church. It is an inspiring book, and details how mankind should live life on Earth. The book explains all suggestions fully, and does not leave a trace of doubt in the reader's mind as to the validity of what Dr. LaVey is saying. LaVey even goes so far as to give detailed descriptions of one of the Satanic Rituals that are practised by followers of LaVeyian Satanism. A great, inspiring, conversation starting book that will make you think, even if you do not necessarily agree with what is said. This book would impress people of every religion and faith (or lack thereof) with its logic and common sense, and the overall intelligence with which LaVey preaches. A good book for all to read.

--------------

Reviewer: Dee Tree from Aiken, SC United States
    This book is not what it's title implies. There is no talk of worshipping the Devil, sacrificing babies, drinking goat's blood, or any other garbage. It is a logical, well written and argued piece of philosophy that every person who prides themselves on being intelligent and open minded should read at least once. I was surprised at how often I found myself agreeing with his philosophies, in spite of my Catholic upbringing. LaVey makes sense, probably too much sense for most people to be comfortable with.

I got the reviews from Amazon here

[ June 19, 2003, 21:08: Message edited by: Kiranos ]

15. Greenlion420 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

@ LKD.....You took the words right outta' my mouth.

So my answer is "no", i'm no satanist.

16. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Your definition of satanism makes it all sound very ego-centric.

How can everything in our lives be our own fault?

That is obviously not true...

Ego-centrism is based in fear I think...you say people "hide" behind God...I say you hide behind your ego because you fear the fact that your life is not completely under your control; rather than face the scary fact that bad things happen to people you exert your ego as a controlling mechanism. It probably works somewhat...but at what price?

The ego is a double-edged crutch...be careful when you lean upon it.

17. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Many Satanist are total morons, just like most of the Goths type, craving for attention since daddy used to hit them or stroke them too much...

(And yes, interpret "stroke" the way you like)

Drinking blood, sacrificing babies, etc... :rolleyes:

So, maybe I am some church of Satan guy, since I am somewhat big "fan" of Nietzsche :lol:

But, I am going to add that book to my booklist...

[ June 20, 2003, 12:51: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

18. Kiranos Gems: 4/31

Some Qoutes of Lavey

"Lets us be honest about it all, Anton tells his flock. There is no God. There is no deity who gives a damn about the fortunes of man. There is no Heaven, there is no Hell, except here on Earth. There is only one redeemer: Your own mind, body, and spirit. The Satanic Age is upon us. Admit it, take advantage of it and LIVE, which is evil spelled backwards."
    Anton LaVey

There is no heaven of glory bright, and no hell where sinners roast. Here and now is our day of torment! Here and now is our day of joy! Here and now is our opportunity! Choose ye this day, this hour, for no redeemer liveth!
    [ The Satanic Bible: The Book of Satan 4:2 ]
    Anton LaVey

"What are the 7 deadly sins of Christianity? Gluttony, avarice, sloth, lust... They are urges every man feels at least once a day. How could you set yourself up as the most powerful institution on earth? You first find out what every man feels at least once a day, establish that as a sin, and set yourself up as the only institution capable of pardoning that sin."
    Anton LaVey

----------
    I myself don’t have a very great ego (wish I had though) And I agree fear is the great question here, just look at bowling for Columbine. (Marilyn Manson btw is a reverend in the Church of Satan, Da*n did he got in alot of truble for that title, That you probably already knew though.) And no everything aint your fault there are things in this world that you dont have the power to change, but it is you that has the power to change it for the better not by praying to some God, it is you that has to do the deed. Know that and you will prevail.

I just feel that Christianity goes like: Do that or you will be sent straight to hell, you will burn for eternity and you will never see your parents again, how is that for a 7 year old child to hear?

[ June 20, 2003, 12:48: Message edited by: Kiranos ]

19. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

Hey again! As Kiranos, I'm breaking in to explain something about satanism! No, I won't do it! Why? Because this is a poll about yourself, and speaking of yourself as a satanist. If you don't really know what satanism is all about, then you should not call yourself a satanist.

[ June 23, 2003, 15:23: Message edited by: Daephoon ]

20. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Well, in Hebrew Satan means advesary or enemy, so it could be an offshoot of some mirror religon of Christianity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.