1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Reincarnation

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Teensabre, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Teensabre Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

A poll on Reincarnation

Poll Information
    This poll contains 4 question(s). 39 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Reincarnation (39 votes.)

What are your views on Reincarnation? (Choose 1)
    * I agree with it. - 26% (10)
    * I disagree with it. - 56% (22)
    * I don't know what it is exactly. - 0% (0)
    * I don't care. - 18% (7)

What religion are you? (Choose 1)
    * Christian/RC/C of E - 54% (21)
    * Muslim - 5% (2)
    * Sikh - 0% (0)
    * Hindu - 0% (0)
    * Jain - 0% (0)
    * Moonie - 3% (1)
    * Divine Light Missionary - 0% (0)
    * Atheist - 38% (15)

What would you come back as? (Choose 1)
    * Person/Famous person - 10% (4)
    * Animal/Fish - 10% (4)
    * Plant - 0% (0)
    * Object - 0% (0)
    * Bird - 5% (2)
    * Nothing, I don't believe in it - 51% (20)
    * Don't mind - 23% (9)

What would you really like to know about reincarnation? (Choose 8)
    * How can you be a bad plant? - 26% (10)
    * How can you be a good plant? - 18% (7)
    * How can you resist animal instinct? - 13% (5)
    * How can you go through life without killing something, even an ant? - 26% (10)
    * Can you remember past lives? - 44% (17)
    * Is disability a punishment for a sin in a past life? - 21% (8)
    * Can you change genders? - 10% (4)
    * Don't care - 49% (19)

2. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

If reincarnation is real,

a) Where are these souls coming from?

b) Who/what makes these souls, if there is a "soul-maker."?

3. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    So two tin cans are talking one day, and one asks the other, "Well, if you did believe in recycling, what would you want to come back as?"

badoom - TISH! (how do you do a rimshot in a smilie?)

4. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I couldn't vote because I don't have an answer for the second question.

[EDIT] Oh well, I'll vote atheist since it's the next closest thing [/EDIT]

[ January 17, 2003, 02:30: Message edited by: Blog ]

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Christian/Roman Catholic/Church of England :D

So Christian is Presbyterian only? :D

Just joking.

I don't believe in reincarnation. What's more I believe there is none.

6. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Pretty hard to answer to that religion thing. In my understanding, the Americans usually take anyone confirming themselves a part of some religion as the same thing. Whereas here in Finland, just about everyone is "christianised" right after their birth, but less than half of them really are any christians.

I'm a christian, according to the registry we have here at least. But it doesn't mean I believe in god.

As far as the reincarnation thing goes, it's the same as with everything else suchlike magical, mystical and godlike. I don't believe in it. Might as well exist but I really don't believe in it. And if it does exist, I wouldn't care because it can hardly have any effect on my life if it's too minor a thing for anyone even to notice and proove real.

7. Maldir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Just as Foradasthar said, it seems pretty irrelevant whether reincarnation happens or not (I don't believe it does). As no-one can remember having a past life, then it makes no difference whatsoever whether it happens or not. I also don't believe that people's "memories" of past lives, when they come out, are real - if they were, why have so many people been famous people, or closely linked to them ("I was Alexander the Great's shieldbearer"), rather than the more likely peasant who had a hard life tilling the field before dying at 35?

8. the god Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Bull Maldir, you do get people who have past-life experiences as ordinary working folk. :p

... and continuing the cdTT point: fish aren't animals? :shake:

Not that I'm a believer in that rubbish myself though. :nono:

[ January 17, 2003, 11:45: Message edited by: the god ]

9. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

A lot of Native American tribes believe that when a person dies, their spirit is reincarnated into parts of the environment, plants, animals, rocks, etc.
    Other NA myths tell how when people die, their spirits remain in the Land of the Dead. There is a story of Coyote and Eagle visiting the Land of Dead. The story takes place in the days of the animal people. When someone died there was lots of morning. Coyote didn't like all the morning and wanted to do something about it. Coyote wanted to bring the spirits back. So Coyote got Eagle and journeyed to the land of the spirits. Coyote and Eagle captured the spirits and put them in a basket. They began back to the land of the living. Coyote and Eagle became tired, so eventually the let the spirit people out. The spirits went back the the land of the dead. Coyote then made the law, after people have died, they shall never come to life again.
    There are many other stories, this was the only one I can remember right now. But there are others of a great warrior dying and coming back as an animal, etc.

[ January 17, 2003, 12:07: Message edited by: Elios ]

10. Anakha the Almighty Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Good to see that I agree on this with many others.

11. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

These are my votes:
    - I don't care
    - Christian
    - Don't mind
    - Don't care

Your poll is IMO odd.
    I do believe that I'll pay for everything I make - good or bad - in form of reincarnation or afterlife or whatever. Will I be an owl or just a part of an asteroid in my "next life" I really don't care.

12. scarampella Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I must have been an American Indian in a past life because their beliefs always resonate in my being as true and beautiful

13. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Hmmm ... 65% don't believe in reincarnation, and 65% are Christians?

I'm assuming that only Christians are rational then ;)

Just kidding ... but I've never understood this. Beyond wishful thinking, what makes people think that we go through life again and again.

Also, doesn't it bug you that all the past lives people talk about are glamorous? You don't hear people saying "in my past life I was a surf that died of the plauge." :rolleyes:

14. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    In Poland 91% declared being Christians. However 30% declared their belief in reincarnation.

And, attention please:

91% are Christians
    90% believe in God

less believe in Heaven.

15. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Just points up how many people call themselves Christians without actually bothering to believe and follow Christ.

16. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    This strikes me as odd. I would have thought someone with faith would have no trouble understanding this.

17. Oaz Gems: 29/31

But if a person believes in reincarnation, who does he put his faith and belief in? As far as I know, there are no major religions that incorporate both a single deity and the idea of reincarnation.

18. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Who said anything about a single deity? What I meant by the above statement is that every religion is based on faith.

There is no proof of any afterlife, yet many believe (have faith) in heaven. Why is it so hard for someone who makes this leap of faith to understand the leap of faith it takes to believe in reincarnation?

I didn't say Mathetais (or you) should believe in reincarnation, only that I found it odd that you could not understand those that do.

19. Oaz Gems: 29/31

I can understand why people would want to believe in reincarnation; but what do they place their faith in?

20. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Perhaps you should ask the Hindus, who by the way believe in one god with many different forms.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.