1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Poll: What Puts You to Sleep?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by kuemper, Oct 16, 2005.

1. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Thinking about going to sleep for the night got me wondering how alone (or not) I am in this: I don't need any 'white noise' (TV or radio) to help me sleep.

EDIT: :doh: I messed up the variables, so if you answered No to the first question, you have to pick something from the second set of answers. If you can sleep without any help (like me), just choose 'other' and explain.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 2 question(s). 43 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Poll: What Puts You to Sleep? (43 votes.)

Do you need something to be your lullaby at bedtime? (Choose 1)
    * Yes, I can't take the sound of my own snoring! - 33% (14)
    * No, I sleep like a rock - 67% (29)

If you need a lullaby, which is it? (Choose 6)
    * television - 2% (1)
    * radio/music - 26% (11)
    * another person, whose snoring helps me zone out :p - 7% (3)
    * a pet (dog, cat, rabbit, slug) - 2% (1)
    * the baby/child monitor - 0% (0)
    * other - 74% (32)

2. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Me? I got a very sensitive *detection* threshhold (according to audiology tests) so the planes landing at the nearby airport, the trains going through town ten blocks away, the creak of the hot water radiator pipes, and yes, my spouse's snoring all distract me enough to keep me awake.

As such I have an FM radio station on low to have a regular 'base tone' of 'white noise' to cancel out all these distractions and let me slip off to la-la-land faster....zzzzzzz :sleep:

3. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

I live in a pretty quiet place so I usually have no trouble falling asleep.

I only sleep in absolute darkness, if there is any light (including the alarm clock), then I won't shut an eye. Also, I am totaly unable of sleeping in public, and I have serious trouble sleeping next to someone. Hell, I had trouble sleeping next to my ex.

4. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Ok, first...I'm a total insomniac, so when I don't think I'll be able to sleep very well, I take 2 Tyonol PM pills. Second, I turn on the fan. Even if it's the middle of winter, the sound of the fan deadens out the minute noises, and also gives a slight breeze on my face. Next, I need my g/f to be in bed with me. If she's not in bed with me - even if she's on the other side of the bed - I can't sleep. Call me cheesy, but after sleeping in the same bed as your mate for over a year, you can't sleep without them.

BTW, all this talk about sleep is making me want some. :sleep: :rolling:

5. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Ah, damn, my post got screwed up. So, here is what I said:

Good night: 15 minutes to fall asleep
    Bad night: 2-4 hours to fall asleep

Kitrax: don't take tylenol every night, because your body will build up an immunity to the medicine in it, so when you actually need to it fight off sickness, it'll work.

And a fan sometimes helps me fall asleep quicker.

6. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

I can take a catnap anywhere, at any time, and I often do (occasionally without meaning to :doh: ). But trying to sleep or even being awake, I cannot stand absolute silence. If I don't hear something, my ears start tuning lower and lower until I'm hearing the tiny little noises that we ignore most of the time. The creak of a board, the buzz of an insect, of even my own blood pumping in my veins. The only problem is that if my ears are straining too much, I can't relax. And if I can't relax, I can't sleep. IOW, I could sleep through the UW band but a silent house makes me tense enough to start mumbling to myself just to get some relief.

7. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

@Felinoid: Of course you can sleep anywhere, big cat, you wouldn't just be a *real* felinoid if you didn't. :D

Am I the only one who needs *total* silence to fall asleep?

8. Lost Meme Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I once slept through a thunder-storm (true story).
    Right now, however, I mostly nap in the afternoon and stay awake all night long playing games. :D

9. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    The Olympics, golf, baseball...probably in that order, put me to sleep. I'm falling asleep just thinkig about them... :sleep:

10. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    @Saber, tylenol has never worked for me. So it's not like it ever will. Now 400mg (2 pills) of Advil helps a whole lot more. Like I said, I only take it when I don't think I'll be able to sleep, and I never take them on nights when I don't have to work the next morning.

Also, if it gets too hot, I can't sleep, and will wake up if the temp gets to high. I can sleep like a log if the temp was 40 degrees (f) in my bedroom, but if it gets around 70-75 degrees (f), I'm up...turning down the AC. :rolling:

11. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Meme, it isn't too difficult to sleep through thunderstorms, i do it all the time.

The only thing that wakes me up (aside from alarms) is having to go to the bathroom.

12. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I can't sleep with electrical devices making sound. My husband used to drive me crazy being on his computer until 3 or 4 in the morning and me having to get to sleep by 11:30 ish. Not only the sound of the fans but also the light and his typing wouldn't let me get a wink of sleep. Thank god his computer is in the basement now.

13. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    I can't get to sleep until cars drive past. Comes from lliving on a main road before. Mind you I don't miss the drunkards ;)

14. Steeze Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I usually need somthing to help me go to sleep, unless i'm extremely tired. Music, reading and rain usually work best for me.

15. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Law books and lectures. :sleep:

16. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Not thinking helps me alot, but it takes alot of concentration. Thinking about stuff that isnt intresting or important can get me to sleep sometimes too.

I dont realy care for noises from cars or trains (there is a train track nearby), but what realy disturbs me is people. I hate it when people talk, laugh, scream or make noises when I am trying to sleep. Sometimes I get so pissed that I just want to yell to them to shut up or, when they realy piss me off, execute them by any means.

I think that it is scientificly proven that constant sounds, like that of an air conditioner is soothing. Cant remember where I heard it (might have been here on SP) that people in japan use crickets as alarm systems. The crickets stop making sounds when something disturbs them, like a burglar walking towards the house, and when the crickets stop the people sleeping wakes up because the noise is interrupted.

17. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Yeah, I have the same with thinking. And the problem with hearing everything, like Felinoid said. I remember one summer when I couldn't fall asleep without a drink.

18. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

I need lots of sleep (10-12 hours), and I sleep really easily, as long as there's no noise of the level of my computer or above.

19. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Luckily I don't need much sleep. But it takes me *hours* to get to sleep and can't find anything yet which helps me sleep :p

Sleeping tablets make me hyper :roll:

20. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I also need alot of sleep, which I cant get sometimes, which I think leads to a weaker immune system, which leads to me being sick right now. :sick:That, and the damn idiots who go around coughing on their hands then touch stuff, and all the other morons who contribute to making my life a misery. :nono: :flaming: :shame:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.