1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Pete Rose

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by The Great Snook, Jan 9, 2004.

1. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] So should Pete make it into the baseball hall of fame?

When determining if an athlete is one of the greatest of all times should we take into consideration the athletic accomplishments only or the person as a whole?

My personal thoughts are that it is the athlete's athletic abilities that should determine their eligibility and not their personal lives.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 2 question(s). 15 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Pete Rose (15 votes.)

Should Pete Rose get into the Hall of Fame (Choose 1)
    * Yes - 47% (7)
    * No - 53% (8)

Should an athlete's personal life be considered (Choose 1)
    * Yes - 47% (7)
    * No - 53% (8)

2. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I say no on both. No Pete shouldn't be honored, and no an athlete's personal life should not be a factor for an athletic honor.

In Pete Rose's case, he broke a rule clearly stating gambling on baseball as illegal by major league baseball. What's more, he's spent the last 2 decades lying about it, and now expects all to be forgiven. This isn't someone who should be honored, IMO.

This isn't a case of personal life versus professional life. He wasn't banned for gambling (a personal choice), he's banned for gambling on his sport (a professional rule violation). If he was barred from the hall of fame for, say, beating his wife, that would be another thing. Unless of course MLB had a bylaw regarding wife-beating.

On a personal note, I don't think he came clean because he's sorry or feels he did anything wrong. He wants to be in the hall of fame. I don't think he deserves the honor.

3. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    I want to qualify my answers:

Yes, Pete Rose's accomplishments mean that he belongs in the Hall of Fame - but only after his lifetime ban from baseball has run its course. The man has shown no true remorse for what he did, only regret at the price he's had to pay. Give him a posthumous plaque.

No, an athlete's personal life shouldn't be counted (although I draw the line at felony convictions). We're talking specifically about accomplishemnts on the playing field, not about being a good role model or citizen. There are other awards for those things. But Pete Rose let his personal vices carry over into his sport - and that's why the lifetime ban should remain in place.

4. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    @Rallymama

I have to give you credit. I have never heard anyone say that "The lifetime ban runs out when he dies."

That is brilliant. Future generations will be able to recognize his accomplishments and his shame, yet he does not. I love it. This is my new attitude towards this issue. I will make sure you are given proper credit in all posts/e-mails I send.

5. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    It's a little sparse in detail, so I feel the need to clarify. Pete Rose absolutely should be in the Hall of Fame -- after he dies.* It is clear that he is a very sick person who acted in a way that tarnished his sport and directly contrary to the rules of the sport. Unlike, say, Steve Howe, Pete Rose harmed baseball in general, not himself in particular. The man freaking bet on his own team!

Further, the scum is only doing this because he wants to cash in some more. There is no contrition.

As far as personal life playing a role, only as it applies to the rules of baseball. For example, if he's a drug addict, a wife beater, etc., that may impact people's perception of him, but does not impact his sport or his status in the sport. However, when his personal gambling habit carries over to the sport, it must be considered. That being said, by objective criteria, he's a shoe-in to the hall. I just hope it happens after he dies.

* - Credit to Rallymama for an absolutely brilliant idea.

6. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    No to both, for the same reasons as everyone else.

Actually, I was was inclined before to think he should be allowed in (even though I didn't believe his denials), but his current admission of guilt reeks so much of insincerity that it's turned me off completely.

7. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I voted with the majority but simply because I am prejudiced. I am orginaly from Cincinnati.

8. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] It sickens me that they are even reconsidering his ban.

He made his bed, he should lie in it.

9. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

*sigh*

There are some things you do, and there are other things you don't. You don't throw a game for money; period.

I'm not saying Pete threw games. In fact, I really believe that he didn't. But you don't put yourself in the position where someone has to decide like that.

Who's the Indian guy? Um. He was an Okie back in the teens. Um.....Thorp. Jim Thorp.

He played professional football in his off time. But, unlike other Olympic Champions, he used his real name. And word got around. And they pulled his medals. But his daughter just got his medals reinstated a few years ago.

It was Pete's bad. And he knew it. And I've no doubt there are a whole bunch of others, even today, that bet on the games. They just haven't been caught.

10. InquisitorX Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

He should have been banned from baseball just because of that haircut!

11. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I think he should be allowed to enter the Hall of Fame, based on his achievements on the field. He was truly extraordinary.

Should his ban be lifted? I think so -- but it's not an easy answer. He clearly made a mistake - and he paid for that mistake dearly. Other people make mistakes as well, and with the exception of murder and other heinous crimes - they don't pay their ENTIRE life for them. No, he's hardly a personal role model -- but yes, he IS a model of excellence in playing the game of baseball, which is what the Hall of Fame is all about. If he is truly sorry for what he did and able to keep himself on the straight and narrow -- the knowledge that he could offer in a coaching capacity would be undeniably substantial to the game of baseball and to any team that would have him. I think he's done his time.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.