1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Only for boys: Are you old skool?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Ragusa, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    A while ago in a pub I discussed with a friend the point what characterises old skool people, and I strongly advocated my thesis that being old skool must manifest itself in some way - namely in wet shaving vs. the electrical surrogate and wearing boxers vs. briefs.
    My thesis is as it was then that there is a significant correlation between wet shaving and wearing boxers (even the tighter subvariants) and electric shaving and wearing briefs.

Lacking manifest proof on this I now want to take advantage of the unique opportunity to make an empiric study on the subject.

As a result of the nature of the subject, girls, and people with no beard, or who don't shave, or repulsive clothing preferences are not offered fair choices.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 71 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Only for boys: Are you old skool? (71 votes.)

Are you old skool? (Choose 1)
    * boxers & wet shaving - 52% (37)
    * boxers & electric shaving - 15% (11)
    * briefs & wet shaving - 18% (13)
    * briefs & electric shaving - 8% (6)
    * no preferences on the subject - 3% (2)
    * I am a girl, have no beard, or have a beard, or have repulsive clothing preferences - 3% (2)

2. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    Long live boxers & wet shaving!

3. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Boxers and Wet Shaving.

I use Gilette's Mach3, but what I really would like to try is a straight razor and a shaving brush. I hope those come with band aid, though.

4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Yeah boxers and wet shaving. Although I use moisturizer after I shave, because shaving cream dries my face out something chronic. I couldn't live without my E45 cream.

5. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

Boxers and electric shaving. Comfy before everything, you know.

6. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Boxers and wet shaving all the way for me as well.

I don't like electric razors, and don't get me started on briefs - I favor comfort above everything else.

7. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Boxers vs Briefs isn;t an 'old skool' question, it's a sexuality question.

Boxers + Wet Shaving.

8. Ragusa

Media:
    Daie,
    How that?

9. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Interesting.

Well, of the choices given (and a dubious definition) I'd side with more fodder for ragusa's hypothesis: boxers & 'wet shave'.

...although I *will* use an electric if pressed for time, and only have to improve my appearance vs. improve the feel of my face.

And I'd consider "boxer briefs" to be neither boxers nor briefs(y-fronts). They are not nearly as loose as boxers, yet offer no 'fly' for....um, expeditiousness when visiting the bathroom. Nonetheless, I wear them. :bad:

And though I'd personally find 'going commando' uncomfortable and a source of extreme self-consciousness, I'd hardly define that clothing choice "replusive." :nono:

EDIT: and after reviewing the results so far, it's only early (and weekends are notorious for drawing SP'ers away from 'home' ;) ), but we MIGHT have a biased sample population that could prevent making any valid conclusions... :(

10. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Well, (in Britain at least) boxers are for the heterosexual male. A man wearing briefs will either be considered childish, or possible homosexual.

11. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    When you say briefs are you talking about pants? If you are, then Daie's right. If you wear pants in this country, it usually means you're a bit of a crafter butcher. Or, just more than a little weird.

12. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Interesting hypothesis. I would have assumed that briefs and wet shaving would be the old skool (sic) combination.

But, the poll results so far don't give us a conclusive answer, other than the fact that just about everybody wears boxers, which I'm not sure are either old or new skool (sic).

13. BlckDeth Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

Boxers and wet shaving. Electric razors gimmie zits.

14. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Boxers and wet shaving. The other kind of underwear (for men) looks like diapers.

Oh, and I should mention that a buddy of mine shaves himself with his katana :eek: :D

15. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Your poll is missing the "I hate to shave, and I wear boxers".

When I *have* to shave, I use my electric thingy... :bad: :rolling:

16. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Briefs and wet shaving.

Briefs are definatly old school.

17. Ragusa

Media:
    Kitrax,
    I wrote something about lack of fair choices ;)

Harbourboy,
    you're correct. It came to me after posting the poll. To prove correlation I would have to first ask 'Consider yourself old skool?' and then go for the preferences, and then put things into context.

18. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    No electric shaving for me and boxers all the way.

19. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Boxers and wet shaving for me to.

20. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I am above such petty concerns. I do what is required, when required and wear what is most comfortable when it is most comfortable.

But to answer the question as to what is most old skool I don't even use FOAM when I shave. Just hot water and a razor for me.

I would wear loose boxers yet I dislike my 'piece' falling out of place and constantly needing to adjust it and when you sit on a testicle once... let's say you'll never do it again. I prefer my underwear to not simply just be a buffer between my genitals and my pants but as a means of supporting and providing comfort.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.