1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: NHL Playoffs

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by reepnorp, Apr 8, 2003.

1. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    It's that time of year again, and lets hear what everyone thinks!

Poll Information
    This poll contains 2 question(s). 17 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: NHL Playoffs (17 votes.)

Who do you want to win the Stanley Cup? (Choose 1)
    * Dallas Stars - 6% (1)
    * Edmonton Oilers - 0% (0)
    * Detroit Red Wings - 6% (1)
    * Mighty Ducks of Anaheim - 6% (1)
    * Colorado Avalanche - 12% (2)
    * Minnesota Wild - 6% (1)
    * Vancouver Canucks - 12% (2)
    * St. Louis Blues - 0% (0)
    * Ottawa Senators - 12% (2)
    * New York Islanders - 0% (0)
    * New Jersey Devils - 0% (0)
    * Boston Bruins - 0% (0)
    * Tampa Bay Lightning - 0% (0)
    * Washington Capitals - 0% (0)
    * Philadelphia Flyers - 18% (3)
    * Toronto Maple Leafs - 24% (4)

Who do you think will win the Stanley Cup? (Choose 1)
    * Dallas Stars - 29% (5)
    * Edmonton Oilers - 0% (0)
    * Detroit Red Wings - 6% (1)
    * Mighty Ducks of Anaheim - 0% (0)
    * Colorado Avalanche - 12% (2)
    * Minnesota Wild - 0% (0)
    * Vancouver Canucks - 12% (2)
    * St. Louis Blues - 6% (1)
    * Ottawa Senators - 0% (0)
    * New York Islanders - 6% (1)
    * New Jersey Devils - 6% (1)
    * Boston Bruins - 0% (0)
    * Tampa Bay Lightning - 0% (0)
    * Washington Capitals - 0% (0)
    * Philadelphia Flyers - 12% (2)
    * Toronto Maple Leafs - 12% (2)

2. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I knew you'd post this some day, reepnorp. It would either be you, or me :)

I'd like to see Ottawa win, because they have had so little success in the past years. It'd be nice to see them finally win some games outside of the regular season. Second choice? Any other Canadian team.

But I think Dallas will win :( Looking at their players, it's just not fair...

3. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

It would be nice to see a Canadian team win but it just does not seem likely. Once again it looks like the real deciding round of the playoffs will be the Western Conference finals with the winner getting to have the bonus of humiliating the team that wins the Eastern Conference.

Dallas will probably cream Edmonton in the first round and then Vancouver in the second and should be able to take out whichever of Detroit or Colorado faces them in the Western finals.

In the Eastern Conference this may be Ottawa's chance to make it to the cup finals. Any of the top six teams could win the The Eastern Conference but I expect that Toronto and Philly will demolish each other in the first round and be easy pickings for whomever they face after that.

4. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I love to watch hockey, but sadly, that's where it ends -- I know zip about the current state of the NHL; I just like to watch good hockey with good reffing.

5. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    A very interesting final would be Vancouver and either Ottawa or Toronto. Two Canadian teams, fighting until the end! And on a side note, only Canadians have posted here so far.

6. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] As I do every year...I throw my support to the Philadelphia Flyers!!!! Go Orange and Black! Go!

7. Avarahtar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Well it appears that the Flyers totally outplayed the Leafs. They dominated most of the game, had more than twice as many shots, less penalties, and much much better defense and offense... Yet they still managed to lose 5-3... Looks like Cechmanek is playing his normal playoff game so far.

8. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Toronto definitely deserved to lose that one but I certainly won't complain about the final result.

From what I saw of the Dallas/Edmonton game it was a much better played game then Toronto/Philly. I was really impressed by how Edmonton played for the second and third periods, however I still don't think that Edmonton has the depth or experience to win the series.

9. Rogue Rasta Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

The Blackhawks didn't make the playoffs, so their outta the question. There's always next year...ugh I sound like a Cubs fan.

I'd like to see the Flyers win. I've always been a fan of John LeClair. He seems like a blue collar type hockey player. And of course it's good to see Amonte playing for a Cup contender, and being re-united with JR just feels so good :D

I think the Av's will win the Cup though. Forsberg is just sick. A man playing among boys.

10. Keihdra Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Well, I'm not Canadien, but I was born and raised in Michigan. That makes me a diehard Wings fan. Cujo isn't as good as Hasek was last year, but I think as a team we are just as strong. Hull and the two kids are the line to watch in the playoffs. Looks like the Cup is going to stay were it belongs, in Hockeytown! :D

11. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

So, how long until Dallas starts thinking they should have kept Belfour after all?

As for the Leafs-Flyers, don't go blaming Chechmanek for that loss, nor for last year's wash-out. The Leafs are an opportunistic team and will almost always make the opposition pay for their mistakes. A lot of the Flyer's shots were coming from bad angles (far side of the net on many), and their defensive coverage was awful in the first period; teams that continually give up odd-man rushes while on the power-play are not playing a good game. The Leafs were even more awful in the second. But, the third was pretty evenly played. Chalk that one up to more playoff experience on the Leafs side. It's still going to be a hard fought series :)

Go Leafs Go!

12. reepnorp

Media:
    Wow, the Detroit Anaheim game went into triple overtime! Are any of you actually going to go to a playoff game this year?

13. JSBB Gems: 31/31

No way, tickets are much too expensive and I am too busy with work. I have been bringing work home with me and working in front of the tv with the game on.

Also, with the way the Leafs are playing they probably won't be playing for too much longer :( (it is currently 4-1 for the Flyers) and it is a little too far to travel to Ottawa, Edmonton or Vancouver just to watch a hockey game live.

14. Virus Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'm from Europe, but ever since I watch NHL, I go for Dallas :) Last year they had a bad season (didn't make the playoffs), so they must win the Stanley cup this year. I think that Ottawa has chances, too. Anyway, we'll see...

15. Blog Gems: 23/31

Add to that, should Detroit have passed on Joseph and let Manny Legace play in net?

16. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I don't think that Dallas is or should regret letting Belfour go. Good grief,Turco only had the best save percentage and goals against average during the regular season and people start to doubt him because he has let in 1.5 goals/game so far in the playoffs?

Cujo may not have been in top form for game two but you certainly can't fault him for the triple overtime loss. Besides, Legace hasn't played much in the last month and did not perform well in the games that he did play (2.75 GAA, .896 Save % compared to Joseph's 1.9 GAA and and .932 Save % during the same time period).

17. Blog Gems: 23/31

So anyone need to change their vote? :D

That was a surprising first round, especially in the West with Minnesota beating Colorado and the Anaheim beating Detroit. Now what do you think is going to happen in the second round?

18. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Not me!!! The Flyers pounded the Leafs into submission last night! This was one of the best series' of hockey I've seen in a while! Although the Minnesota/Colorado matchup was fun to watch too!

Go Flyers! Thump Ottawa!

19. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Well I must admit that I was a little surprised by the Wings and Avalanche both losing but that does not change my prediction that Dallas will take the cup. I think that Dallas and Vancouver will win in the West while in the East New Jersey will crush Tampa Bay.

The Ottawa/Philly series is the one that could go either way but I suspect that Philly will prove too tough for Ottawa. Ottawa has gotten tougher this year but they have a history of finding ways to lose in the playoffs. Also, I really expected the Toronto/Philly series to be much nastier so Philly is in much better physical shape then I expected going into the second round.

20. Kris Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I think dallas has a good chance to win , but hope they get a little competion of The flyers

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.