1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: New and Improved NPC Results!

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Jul 7, 2003.

1. Kralizek Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I went Sarevok-Imoen-Yoshimo, whose fate is bound to your soul (and not looks... ;) ) one way or the other. Go Bhaalspawns !

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    After 48 votes - the ones in contention are as follows:

Imoen - 36
    Minsc - 30
    Viconia - 30
    Jaheira - 29
    Jan - 28

So Imoen's lead is growing. I hope that one comment about opening multiple accounts was a joke. While I would prefer ANY of the others near the lead to beat Imoen, it would destroy the integrity of the poll.

One more question - are we just saying the winner of this is the winner, or are we doing as DMC suggests and have the highest scores do a run-off? Looking at the top 5, most people did not vote for one of them as their favorite (only 25 of the 48 who voted) so I don't know if there's anything to gain by doing a run-off. Although, like I said before, Imoen is NOT leading the results in the last question, but has many more votes than anyone else in the first two questions.

3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    @ AtheFI - That's why I suggested a 5-3-1 breakdown, rather than 3-2-1. . . . Second and Third place choices get more bang than they should IMHO.

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    DMC - that's really not what I'm asking. The rules have been stated for this poll, and so you can't change that now.

If we used your system, the current scores wouldn't change significantly. The top five would like:

Imoen - 86
    Minsc - 74
    Jaheira - 73
    Viconia - 72
    Jan - 70

So the order is nearly identical to the way we're calculating it now. Imoen still has the lead, with the other 4 contenders having nearly equal scores.

What my question is do we have a 2nd poll after this one, with the top 5 canidates to see if anything would change. Keep in mind that out of 48 total votes, 23 people (or nearly half) voted for someone besides the top 5 vote getters on the final question.

Regardless of what we do, a process such as what we have done up to this point had to be instituted to either declare a winner or at least narrow the field.

5. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    @ AFI - point taken. I just reviewed the results and Imoen is behind by one point (7 to 6) on first place votes, but ahead on the others, hence the disparity. I see no need for a runoff if matters hold as they are. She's clearly winning as the most popular NPC (it's not like she's way down on the first place votes and making it up as everyone's next best thing).

6. Skywind Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Minsc is my numder 1 as he is good for a close combat warrior , has a love for animals as a ranger and is very funny.
    Jan is my number 2 as he is useful and funny too, his funny remarks are insulting sometimes but so long I am not his target, it's fine with me :p
    Viconia is my number 3 as she is so beautiful and useful too.

Just wondering if there are anyone who cheat by using multiple accounts to vote?
    I believe there are...But hey! I'm not the one!!

7. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Ok, either this is really really pointless or I don't understand it at all.

What is the point of doing another poll? The only problem with the last one was the time that the poll closed.

What is the problem with elimination? If a NPC gets beaten by another one it shows that it is not the most popular. Elimination work fine to find 1st place, any other it isn't to accurate.

The only thing that will change this result from the last time is if different people vote. Now Imoen 42 votes which is quiet a bit more than anyone else. Jahera, who is coming second at the moment has only 33 votes. (52 votes total)

@Alex I've upped it to two.

8. christopher_c_pitzer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Valygar, Sarevok, Imoen.

Valygar is cool and I like the family background. Sarevok is a beast and just mows down baddies. Immie's scar is just to hot, least for me it is.

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    @ RotKU One of the wonderful things about living in a democratic society is if you don't like the way an election is being conducted, is you can exercise your right not to vote. The reason that the elimination system doesn't work is it is a one on one competition. If your favorite gets eliminated in the first round, you start voting for your second, third, whatever favorite. If you look at the last elimination tournament a very vocal group stated that their favorites had long since been eliminated, and that they were choosing between Minsc and Imoen, because they were all that were left. Plus, your theory obviously doesn't work, because if it were true, the final tally would be Imoen in first place, and Minsc in second place. Imoen is in first, but after 53 votes were in, Minsc is in 4th place. Both Jaheira and Viconia are ahead of him, even though neither of them reached the finals in the elimination tournament. (In fact Jaheira was eliminated by Minsc in the last tournament.) You see, with the elimination tournament, once your favorites are eliminated, you start voting against characters you dislike, instead of for characters you do like. (Oh and sorry RotKU - this isn't a flame, I'm just trying to answer your question for an explanation).

@ Skywind - I have no idea, and I doubt those responsible would admit to it. I do not do it, but like you, I suspect some people do. My evidence is the fact that very few people admit to voting for Imoen, yet she seems to always win these polls.

Anyway, currently Imoen rules the day, and will likely maintain this lead and win. Here are the top five votes:

Imoen - 43
    Jaheira - 33
    Viconia - 33
    Minsc - 31
    Jan - 30

One more thing - Why does Imoen always win? She is a so-so thief, and a slightly above average magic-user, who is moderately funny, has no romance (un-modded), and is not present for the first half of SoA. I guess what my question would be if someone else in the game was your sibling, do you think they would win?

10. ghostwheel Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Well, for me I guess it was voice acting that tipped the scale (as minor as it seems) - Imoen just feels most lively and lifelike - she makes easily believable character (in contrast with, e.g., Viconia). Add to this that she is second best mage, adequate thief, has quite a few funny qoutes (especially in ToB) and bhaalspawn - it all adds up (for me of course). I always have Yoshimo/Imoen in my party.

Oh - and my choice was Imoen-Jaheira-Yoshimo.

11. Nocturnal Nomad Gems: 7/31

Yeah, it was a joke. But I still would prefer to see anyone but Imoen on top.

12. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I guess this will be then the second time you're going to be disappointed -Imoen leads. :rolleyes:

13. Alex Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Regarding Aldeth's complaints about Imoen: I agree completely. As a character from a power gamers point of view she sucks totally. Not to mention her has a mage never made any sense to me. Solution: Shadowkeeper. Imoen back as a rogue is much more entertaining. More specifically as a Swashbuckler she can be quite devestating.

14. Tayja Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I don't understand Imoen's big attraction. Yeah, in BG1 she had a bubbly personality. But in BG2 she seems to suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder. With good reason, admittedly, but still... I don't keep her around long enough to find out if she gets her sense of humor back.

As far as pure usefulness goes, she duals at a poor time (before maxing her backstabbing), and she was mistakenly cut short about 20 ability points on top of that.

As a mage, she misses all the XP from chapters 2 & 3. So in my game it took her until 18th level to catch up to Aerie, who was *also* a 20th level cleric at that point, not merely a low level thief.

So roleplaying loyalty is the only reason I can think of to have her along. But she'll certainly never be my favorite.

15. Alex Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

If you want the bubbly personality back, just restore her old voice set. :)

16. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Ya, go Minsc! Boo Jaheira and Imoen!

17. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    [​IMG] :mad: :( :confused:

OK, it the last day fo the poll, so unless things change dramatically, the final results are:

1st place: Imoen (52 votes) she also had the most 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place votes.

2nd place: Jaheira (41 votes)

3rd place: Viconia (36 votes)

I'm surprised that Minsc made the finals in the elimination tournament, but only managed a 4th place finish here.

OK, Imoen is the most popular NPC, but why? My question - if any other character turned out to be your sibling - do you think they would be your favorite character - I smell another poll!!!

18. Nocturnal Nomad Gems: 7/31

At least Vicci is third :D .

19. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yes! It's about time that Minsc triumphing over Jaheira travesty was righted!

While a 1st place finish would have been nice, a 2nd place finish does me proud. And I admit that I don't begrudge finishing behind Imoen, who's my second favorite NPC.

Adventuring is a serious business, and NPCS like Jaheira and Keldorn treat it as such. In this regard, the spunky and cheerful Imoen provides a very nice and likeable contrast.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.