1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Most revolutionary game

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Sapiryl, Sep 19, 2002.

1. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

'K guys here's the drill:

I've posted a couple of games which I believe to be the most revolutionary games. Not the most popular game or the game with the most follow-ups. Which game to you screamed out, "I am UNIQUE! I am the god of games!"

(Side note - this is my first poll...I hope it works.)

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 62 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Most revolutionary game (62 votes.)

Most revolutionary game (Choose 1)
    * Half-Life - 11% (7)
    * Quake 1 - 5% (3)
    * Rainbow Six - 0% (0)
    * Baldur's Gate 1 - 45% (28)
    * Doom 1 - 27% (17)
    * Might and Magic 1 - 0% (0)
    * Warcraft 1 - 11% (7)

2. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

None of the above. With one exception, they are pretty recent.

My picks (the short list):

Ultima 4 - introduced true role playing to computers.
    Civilization - `nuff said.
    Castle Wolfenstein - First big first person shooter.
    Mule - multiplayer gamings great grandfather.

3. ToTaL Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I picked Warcraft 1, it was closest to my choice. Every game from above has some important part in history of the games, but none of them is "revolutionary" as first of its kind. So my choice would be Dune 2 instead of Warcraft I.

Edit: And what about Sim City?

[ September 19, 2002, 16:55: Message edited by: total ]

4. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31

Total,

Thank you for mentioning Dune 2. I could not remember which Dune it was that introduced RTS the way we now understand it.

5. alighter Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I'd vote for X-COM, or Dune 2, but neither is on the vote...

6. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] I voted for baldurs gate 1 but if it had been there i'd have said castle wolfenstein for the reason jack funk said (above). Hmm not entirely sure why you put quake 1 in there because to me it wasn't all that original But i have only played it once or twice, and that was after playing quake 2 and 3 so im probably biased. Doom was also a very nice game but as i see it it was just the more bloody hellspawn version of what wolfenstein started.

Although not revolutionary but id say delta force for breeding a large number of black op, spec op, SAS, delta force etc kinda games.

P.S. the first fps i played was one where you went around a kind of maze and got various fireball attacks as well as time stop :D and killed these monsters including a sort of floaty thing that looked kinda like a beholder. Im not sure but i have a feeling it had catacomb in the title. If anyone knows what it's called or where to get it please get in touch.

7. Fallen Paladin

Fallen Paladin The One and the Same Veteran

None from the list...

But,

Dune 2
    Wolfenstein 3d

8. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I had to say half life, the twists in the game made it awesome, & any games soon after found it difficult to compete. But i really wanted to vote for baldurs gate, cos it was ace.

9. Ray192 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Dune II, king's quest, Doom, Wolfenstine 3D, street fighter and blah.

10. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] I voted Baldurs Gate. But, i think i would have voted Thief or Populous:The beginning or Black & White or Dungeon Keeper :evil: had they have been there as all of these games, including Baldurs Gate were revolutionary to me.

Its too big a question with too few answers to cover it all. Good plan though. ;)

11. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I would very much like to be able to say Icewind Dale 1, or Star Control 2. (my two favorites of all time)

But I can't.

As far as "revolutionary", there will be one per genere.

Tomb Raider for the adventure genere.
    Either Ultima 4 or Baldur's Gate 1 for the role playing.
    Quake 1 for the first person shooters.

Those games mark the start of a entire culture, and you will see many similarties in all the other games after them.

12. dkamnitzer Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I still think the most revolutionary game was Zork. That game started me on the road to playing. Well that and Karateka. (old Apple II game)

13. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Civilization, the one and only. Best game of all times, the sequels are more expansions than new games. That is a sign that the first idea was brilliant as it is still sold in millions today with only a few additions.

14. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] i forgot to mention Interstate '76. It might have been influenced by Streets of Sim City, or some other game, i don't know. But, it paved the way for a multitude of driving games like Carmageddon, GTA and possibly even Driver. A revolution in itself.

When i first played the game i just couldn't put it down. The idea of driving around in a car with guns all over it was great and some of the missions were solid, hence, i never beat the game.

15. TheNovak Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Here's another game I'm suprised no one mentioned: Diablo. I didn't think it was all that spectacular, myself, but it's undeniably revolutionary in the world of RPGs, maybe even moreso than Baldur's Gate. It didn't introduce the isomatic perspective, it didn't introduce insane click-fests, and it didn't introduce hack-and-slash...it just molded them into one game. Nowadays, every RPG owes at least a slight nod of thanks to Diablo for one feature or another, so it's safe to say that it was one of the most influential games of all time.

16. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Just one problem here... Diablo isn't a real RPG. At best, you could call it a hack & slash action RPG.

17. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

There is no way that Diablo is any better than BG. Sure, I'll give it original, as in, the only game that had that much hack and slash while pretending to be an RPG. I despise Diablo

18. alighter Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Diablo is NOT RPG. It's not even ARPG (Action RPG, things like Zelda). It's more like pure 3rd person perspective action with a little RPG flavor.

19. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

1)Close Compat series. All five of them make you feel that you are in a real battlefield.
    2)Alpha Centauri. Its diplomacy is fantastic, much better than the diplomacy of Civilization
    3)IE games

20. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Revolutions, people, change history. They are a mark that introduce an enormous amount of change.

Saying Diablo1 isn't an RPG is one thing. Saying Diablo1 wasn't "revolutionary" is another.

Yes, Diablo1 is definately on the top10 list of "possibles".

I wouldn't say Alpha Centarui is, though. It is a good game (I have it on my hard disk right now =), but it wasn't revolutionary.

I was originally going to post Zork, but there's no video. =)

Karateka was an awesome game, but not revolutionary. Prince of Persia would come closer.

Xcom1 might very well be. It defined turned-based squad kombat, and the whole "research captured technology" was a new concept. Unless Syndicate (which I never played through; it was just too clumsy for me to have enough patience with it) came out before it. I know not.

I just might have to vote for "Pirates!", but I'm not sure...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.