1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Might and magic VIII: sucks or not?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by chevalier, Jul 13, 2003.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Please vote if you have finished it or played a lot. My experience with the game was not really impressing, but I admit I gave it up quickly, mainly because of lame class choice and other character creation aspects. However, I've noticed that some people actually played it through and some of them aren't dissatisfied. As it's July and almost three months of holidays afore me, I think I could force myself to try MM8 again. Is it worth the time spent playing?

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 13 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Might and magic VIII: sucks or not? (13 votes.)

Might and magic VIII: sucks or not? (Choose 1)
    * Sucks hard - 46% (6)
    * Doesn't suck or sucks only a little - 54% (7)

2. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

MM8 is truly pathetic. It seems to me that every game in the MM series is more boring then the one before it but #8 was truly a snoozer. The quests are dull and boring. The monster-classes of playable characters were fun for maybe ten seconds. I was fed up with the stupid "travel around to find the level X teacher of skill Y" in MM7 and it really ticked me off in 8.

Worst of all, the enemy AI is just plain horrible. Good God, every map is just full of pockets of critters that you continuosly draw out few at a time and kill. You look around and all you see is little clusters of enemies just standing there in the distance waiting for you to pick off with ranged attacks.

How exactly we are to believe that these huge swarms of critters have failed to wipe out the handful of people in the towns is beyond me, wait a second I know, it is because they are too stupid to be able to move unless someone walks up and attacks.

3. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I think you picked the wrong boards to ask this question chev. For I think there aren't many Might and Magic fans here, a few heroes fans but not many Might and Magic fans. Fortunatly for you I am so I'll give you a short overview.

Might and Magic VIII IMO is still a great game if a bit on the easy side. I don't know if you played any of the previous games but if you did, it will mostly be the very same, except for the following differences:

You can only create one character (which sucks, I know) and you have to recrute your other party members.

Dragons are highly overpowered and if you want a chalange you should play without them.

This said now the good points:

If you liked the previous games you will like this one, basically it's the same (people always whine about how they are all the same, but when they do it different with MMIX they aren't satisfied either) so you get the best of the series and the worst of the series, you have to decide which those are.

If you haven't played MMVI and MMVII you should do that first because the storyline (which in my opinion is still one of the best) continues on through the game.

You should definatly try to play it, I still have great experiences with it.

Oh one more thing, since there most likely there won't be a MMX any time soon, some fans have begun to create their tribute to might and magic, it's a tech demo but you definatly should try it if you are a fan of the series, this way it will stay alive.

Here's the link, it's a 9.5 mb download.

Might and Magic tribute

4. ToTaL Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Not!

I am another fan of this series and i have only played VIIth and VIIIth part. I know that i should get VIth but there are some problems that are another story.

I agree that all sequels are pretty similar (except XIth part, that i also finished but is the worst of them all) and i liked VIIth part a bit more because of some story thingies that i liked (lik having your own "kingdom") but VIIIth part is also good.

IMHO, VIIth and VIIIth part have one problem that you must force yourself through first part of the game, but when i "got a grip" i loved it and played to the end almost without stopping. I even think that VIIIth part is more troubled with that problem.

And there is also a problem with ending the game. I said i only played last three parts. Are all other endings "weird"?

There are more games that are far worse than M&M series, but there are some better...

5. chevalier

Media:
    Actually I've finished MM6 and almost finished MM7 (crashed, lost saves). Now I'm playing 7 again. I spent some time on 8, but dropped it quickly because it was impossible to become a paladin and there's no way for the knight to use mental stats.

But later I finished MM9... dropped once and started again later and played till the end. Not bad, but not the same climate and inventory sucks a great deal.

Thus I thought I would play 8 too if I've played 6, 7 and 9.

Well, and I'm quite unhappy with being unable to get MM5... :(

6. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I have M&M7, and I found it quite much fun even when it was published -and still do, mainly because of the nostalgia.

As to the #8... Well, it was published a few years later (2000-2001) and it really should have been a lot better to sell... :(

7. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

You can buy MMI-V on one cd, that's how I got them, but my fast computer is a little too fast too play these old DOS games :(

8. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

IMO M&M VI, VII, VIII, IX sucks bigtime.
    Hate the first person view...

9. AlexGK Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Same as Duke Eltan.Big time sucks indeed... And to think I was a BIG fan of VI and liked somehow VII.And he is right about the 1-st person view also.What the M&M series need IMHo is a new battle system or they are dead in my eyes.
    Just come to think of it compared to BG series or even IWD.

10. Washed Heathen Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'm a fan of the HoM&M and M&M series and what any RPG fan judging this game needs to bear in mind is its originality. This series isn't based in the Forgotten Realms and doesn't follow D&D rules (though the rules do hold some similarity). Recent M&Ms doesn't really have a centralised plot (there is some loose thread in it but the majority of the game is composed of small sub-quests like in BG1). The simplistic AI makes the game fairly easy and so in my opinion the M&M games are fun, satisfying programs to kill time that should not be compared to D&D based games because they a fundamentally different. The main problem I've noticed that RPG fans have with M&Ms are the graphics which are poor even for 1st persons but these were vastly improved in the most recent: M&MIX and I don't think games should be judged by graphics alone anyway (I'm also a big fan of old games). Everyone should try the game and decide whether they like it themselves (some will and some won't).

11. Alcyone Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I was a big MM fan and I still like HoMM its a great way to kill time. I started palying the game when 7 came out and I really liked it. I think it was the whole "own your Castle and land...I bought MM6 after that, but I liked 7 better, however MM6's opening movie is one of the best I have ever seen. MM8 was ok The dragon thing was kind of cool. The story line is pretty ackward compared to 6 and 7 but I don't regret buying it. I played MM9 for about 10 minutes when it first came out and haven't touched it since.
    On a side note in MM7 and MM8 there is that game Arcomage, that game is pretty fun in a Solitaire sort of way. Does anyone no if there is a place where you can download the game and not have it be system dependant. I work 12 hour shifts and I think that would help pass the time.

12. chevalier

Media:
    On 3DO's site you'll find the info (probably 3do.com). IIRC it costs something like $15 for full version and the demo doesn't last long. You can either order the CD and pay shipment or dowload the game paying via script. Sometimes I regret not having a credit card.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.